Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Meat grinding your own burgers and sausage

Im thinking about trying this.  It seems to be gaining in popularity.  I bet you could make some fantastic burgers and sausage.

Grinders dont seem that pricey...i wonder what kind of cost savings there are with it vs retail meats.

This is something I've been meaning to try for a while. I have a stand mixer that has a meat grinder attachment you can buy for it. I wonder if there is a significant difference between buying ground sirloin/chuck at the butcher shop or grinding my own. I doubt it, it's not like I'm going to grind up some filet mignon for burgers.  :unsure:

I'd still like to try it though. I've got the pasta roller and cutter attachments for it. I'd like to make my own meatballs to go with the fresh pasta. 

Bier, if you're reading this, any suggestions on what cut of meat to grind for good burgers? Or a good meatball recipe? 

I doubt there would be a cost savings at all.  Prolly quite a bit more expensive.  You're basically going to be grinding roast.

My uncle has a grocery store up north and I try to buy my meat from him.  Most stores grind tube meat but he'll make me actual burger from chuck roast and trimmings.  It's definitely better-tasting stuff.

A little off topic but one thing I'd like to get into is making my own jerky.  That would be pretty awesome if you found a really good recipe.