Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

How come some people in the military are focking pricks when you thank them for their service?

Honest question: 

My boss has tasked me with doing some business development and part of that is reaching out to potential business partners. Every so often I get people who are in the military actively or formerly. 95% of the time when I thank them for their service the typical response is “of course man, we do it for you.” And every once in a while I get a c*** who will say something like “yeah, whatever” or just hang up the phone (it isn’t cold calling all these people are expecting my call). Never understood why someone can’t be pleasant back with you when you are thanking them. I’m not thanking them because it’s nice to do, I actually mean it. Makes me want me strangle them threw the phone, wtf.  Anyways rant over 

I'm only guessing here, but I'd think that most of the people who are pricks are the ones who think that somebody screwed them over.  Be it the government, their peers, or their commanding officers.  OR, it could be effects of PTSD.

Or because they are aholes. Not everyone in the military is a nice person.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm only guessing here, but I'd think that most of the people who are pricks are the ones who think that somebody screwed them over.  Be it the government, their peers, or their commanding officers.  OR, it could be effects of PTSD.

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Or cause the experience really messed with their heads.

4 minutes ago, sderk said:

Or because they are aholes. Not everyone in the military is a nice person.

Probably a little bit of all of these. But these guys are extremely well off ex-military, they function in society perfectly fine and all are making $150,000+. Most of them are engineers or are on a board. Just pisses me off because it makes me feel good when I thank them, I mean it’s the least I could do and then they shove it back in my face. 😡

5 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Same reason why some of the women with big bellies call me ahole when I ask when they're due.

lol

Out of curiosity, why do you say thank you for your service?  Is it required of you by your work?  I think it's an odd thing to say and maybe it annoys them.  Do you say that to every police officer you come in contact with or every fireman?  The dudes that fight forest fires?  Some of these idiots that joined the service prolly just had nothing better to do and most who fought prolly focking hated being there and thought the war pointless.  ie Afghanistan and Iraq.  What a waste.

I don't care for it. I'm not injured and I didn't see combat. Save it for those guys. But I'm never impolite. 

• Like 1

Some people are just d1ck holes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Out of curiosity, why do you say thank you for your service?  Is it required of you by your work?  I think it's an odd thing to say and maybe it annoys them.  Do you say that to every police officer you come in contact with or every fireman?  The dudes that fight forest fires?  Some of these idiots that joined the service prolly just had nothing better to do.

Most of these guys did 10+ years in the military so I figure it’s a little more dear to them than someone who just did for 4 years or something. Typically they bring it up and if they do, I thank them. I wouldn’t go out of my way to thank a police officer or firefighter, but if we started casually talking I might say something like “and thanks for all the hard work you do out there” or something like that. 

you people should thank me for my ff advice. 

29 minutes ago, taco breath said:

you people should thank me for my ff advice. 

I prefer winning.

Most people ive met who did a long stretch in the military left with some level of bitterness towards the whole thing.

In these cases, maybe it annoys them because they feel that the achievements they made since leaving are more noteworthy.

Or maybe they think you're being a douche and trying to use respect for the military as a sales tool (I'm not saying that, just saying maybe they think that.)

Haven’t ever met anyone who’s like that. When people thank me for my service I just say thank you. My only guess is most don’t know how to respond to it when someone thanks them for their service. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Honest question: 

My boss has tasked me with doing some business development and part of that is reaching out to potential business partners. Every so often I get people who are in the military actively or formerly. 95% of the time when I thank them for their service the typical response is “of course man, we do it for you.” And every once in a while I get a c*** who will say something like “yeah, whatever” or just hang up the phone (it isn’t cold calling all these people are expecting my call). Never understood why someone can’t be pleasant back with you when you are thanking them. I’m not thanking them because it’s nice to do, I actually mean it. Makes me want me strangle them threw the phone, wtf.  Anyways rant over 

Some people do not know how to take a compliment. That's all there is to it. 

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Also, may be similar to the whole "thoughts and prayers" backlash. 

Yeah. It's like when someone in your family dies, everyone you meet for the next month feels the need to say something profound. He was a good man. If there's anything I can do... Or the extra dooshy, its all in God's plan, he's in a better place, etc.

I get that they mean well, but I find it annoying. 

• Like 1

Some people are just pr!cks.....

11 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. It's like when someone in your family dies, everyone you meet for the next month feels the need to say something profound. He was a good man. If there's anything I can do... Or the extra dooshy, its all in God's plan, he's in a better place, etc.

I get that they mean well, but I find it annoying. 

Yup.

The one I hated was "how'd he die?"

Who the F cares? He's dead. 

I was always fine with sorry about.. Or whatever else, but that one is NYFB you gruesome gossip.

• Confused 1

The Vietnam guys went through hell and the guys that went to Iraq/Afghanistan after us did as well, but by comparison, the Persian Gulf War was focking easy. I didn't lose any friends or experience and suffering or personal trauma or mental trauma. It was a real war, no doubt, we blew a lot of sh*t up, and I was all the way up front (then back a mile or so), but it was so one sided and the times that I thought we were in danger, I wasn't, the various warnings were all invariably false alarms in the end. Our tanks mowed through their tanks like paper. The explosions I heard were our guns going off. The planes overhead were all friendlies. I was never under fire. Nobody in my battalion died, in my brigade that wasn't the case, we'd lost people (I didn't know) to friendly fire. 

In many ways, it was like a glorified camping trip.

So I look at the war veterans before me and after me, and feel a bit ackward as I know I didn't experience 1/100 of what they did.

As for the OP. I dunno, it takes all types. Our war was so easy, so short, and so sucessful that I didn't feel like I did all that much that I need thanking for, but I certainly act graciously when thanks come my way.

• Like 1

😢

It is a condescending generic phase that is used by everyone and no one ever says anything different. It becomes meaningless. Try, thanks for keeping us safe or thanks for protecting our country. You will get a different reaction.

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. 

:headbanger:

• Thanks 1

5% of veterans blow you off.  Have you ever worked a job or been anywhere where at least 5% of the people weren't shìtbags?  If only 5% are giving you a hard time, I'd say you're making out pretty good.

11 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

Generally speaking, people act more like pricks when they are having to deal with a

:dunno:

With a what?

6 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

It is a condescending generic phase that is used by everyone and no one ever says anything different. It becomes meaningless. Try, thanks for keeping us safe or thanks for protecting our country. You will get a different reaction.

Makes sense, I’ll try that 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, nobody said:

5% of veterans blow you off.  Have you ever worked a job or been anywhere where at least 5% of the people weren't shìtbags?  If only 5% are giving you a hard time, I'd say you're making out pretty good.

And 90% silently think FU and walk away. 

The military gets thanked when they cash paychecks and receive benefits.   No more is necessary.

I have never thanked a veteran for their service. It's awkward if you don't know them personally. You don't know who they are. And if I know them personally, I'm sure we have had talks about it. Do you go and thank police randomly, maybe firemen, maybe EMTs? Cashiers are probably the most 'thanked' people on the planet.

"Here's your receipt. Have a nice day."

"Thank you. You too."

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The military gets thanked when they cash paychecks and receive benefits.   No more is necessary.

You’re kind of a d!ck

I always just say “no problem”, can’t be a d1ck, 90% of the time it’s a kid being sent over by their parents.  I usually carry extra US flags in my pocket to give to them.  It’s a harmless interaction.