Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

How come some people in the military are focking pricks when you thank them for their service?

Recommended Posts

Honest question: 

My boss has tasked me with doing some business development and part of that is reaching out to potential business partners. Every so often I get people who are in the military actively or formerly. 95% of the time when I thank them for their service the typical response is “of course man, we do it for you.” And every once in a while I get a c*** who will say something like “yeah, whatever” or just hang up the phone (it isn’t cold calling all these people are expecting my call). Never understood why someone can’t be pleasant back with you when you are thanking them. I’m not thanking them because it’s nice to do, I actually mean it. Makes me want me strangle them threw the phone, wtf.  Anyways rant over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only guessing here, but I'd think that most of the people who are pricks are the ones who think that somebody screwed them over.  Be it the government, their peers, or their commanding officers.  OR, it could be effects of PTSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or because they are aholes. Not everyone in the military is a nice person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm only guessing here, but I'd think that most of the people who are pricks are the ones who think that somebody screwed them over.  Be it the government, their peers, or their commanding officers.  OR, it could be effects of PTSD.

 

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Or cause the experience really messed with their heads.

 

4 minutes ago, sderk said:

Or because they are aholes. Not everyone in the military is a nice person.

Probably a little bit of all of these. But these guys are extremely well off ex-military, they function in society perfectly fine and all are making $150,000+. Most of them are engineers or are on a board. Just pisses me off because it makes me feel good when I thank them, I mean it’s the least I could do and then they shove it back in my face. 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Same reason why some of the women with big bellies call me ahole when I ask when they're due.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, why do you say thank you for your service?  Is it required of you by your work?  I think it's an odd thing to say and maybe it annoys them.  Do you say that to every police officer you come in contact with or every fireman?  The dudes that fight forest fires?  Some of these idiots that joined the service prolly just had nothing better to do and most who fought prolly focking hated being there and thought the war pointless.  ie Afghanistan and Iraq.  What a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care for it. I'm not injured and I didn't see combat. Save it for those guys. But I'm never impolite. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are just d1ck holes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Out of curiosity, why do you say thank you for your service?  Is it required of you by your work?  I think it's an odd thing to say and maybe it annoys them.  Do you say that to every police officer you come in contact with or every fireman?  The dudes that fight forest fires?  Some of these idiots that joined the service prolly just had nothing better to do.

Most of these guys did 10+ years in the military so I figure it’s a little more dear to them than someone who just did for 4 years or something. Typically they bring it up and if they do, I thank them. I wouldn’t go out of my way to thank a police officer or firefighter, but if we started casually talking I might say something like “and thanks for all the hard work you do out there” or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, taco breath said:

you people should thank me for my ff advice. 

I prefer winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people ive met who did a long stretch in the military left with some level of bitterness towards the whole thing.

In these cases, maybe it annoys them because they feel that the achievements they made since leaving are more noteworthy.

Or maybe they think you're being a douche and trying to use respect for the military as a sales tool (I'm not saying that, just saying maybe they think that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, may be similar to the whole "thoughts and prayers" backlash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t ever met anyone who’s like that. When people thank me for my service I just say thank you. My only guess is most don’t know how to respond to it when someone thanks them for their service. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Honest question: 

My boss has tasked me with doing some business development and part of that is reaching out to potential business partners. Every so often I get people who are in the military actively or formerly. 95% of the time when I thank them for their service the typical response is “of course man, we do it for you.” And every once in a while I get a c*** who will say something like “yeah, whatever” or just hang up the phone (it isn’t cold calling all these people are expecting my call). Never understood why someone can’t be pleasant back with you when you are thanking them. I’m not thanking them because it’s nice to do, I actually mean it. Makes me want me strangle them threw the phone, wtf.  Anyways rant over 

Some people do not know how to take a compliment. That's all there is to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Also, may be similar to the whole "thoughts and prayers" backlash. 

Yeah. It's like when someone in your family dies, everyone you meet for the next month feels the need to say something profound. He was a good man. If there's anything I can do... Or the extra dooshy, its all in God's plan, he's in a better place, etc.

I get that they mean well, but I find it annoying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking, people act more like pricks when they are having to deal with a

:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are just pr!cks.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. It's like when someone in your family dies, everyone you meet for the next month feels the need to say something profound. He was a good man. If there's anything I can do... Or the extra dooshy, its all in God's plan, he's in a better place, etc.

I get that they mean well, but I find it annoying. 

Yup.

 

The one I hated was "how'd he die?"

Who the F cares? He's dead. 

I was always fine with sorry about.. Or whatever else, but that one is NYFB you gruesome gossip.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vietnam guys went through hell and the guys that went to Iraq/Afghanistan after us did as well, but by comparison, the Persian Gulf War was focking easy. I didn't lose any friends or experience and suffering or personal trauma or mental trauma. It was a real war, no doubt, we blew a lot of sh*t up, and I was all the way up front (then back a mile or so), but it was so one sided and the times that I thought we were in danger, I wasn't, the various warnings were all invariably false alarms in the end. Our tanks mowed through their tanks like paper. The explosions I heard were our guns going off. The planes overhead were all friendlies. I was never under fire. Nobody in my battalion died, in my brigade that wasn't the case, we'd lost people (I didn't know) to friendly fire. 

In many ways, it was like a glorified camping trip.

So I look at the war veterans before me and after me, and feel a bit ackward as I know I didn't experience 1/100 of what they did.

As for the OP. I dunno, it takes all types. Our war was so easy, so short, and so sucessful that I didn't feel like I did all that much that I need thanking for, but I certainly act graciously when thanks come my way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This gets me every time, a powerful watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a condescending generic phase that is used by everyone and no one ever says anything different. It becomes meaningless. Try, thanks for keeping us safe or thanks for protecting our country. You will get a different reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

 

I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. 

:headbanger:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5% of veterans blow you off.  Have you ever worked a job or been anywhere where at least 5% of the people weren't shìtbags?  If only 5% are giving you a hard time, I'd say you're making out pretty good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

Generally speaking, people act more like pricks when they are having to deal with a

:dunno:

With a what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

It is a condescending generic phase that is used by everyone and no one ever says anything different. It becomes meaningless. Try, thanks for keeping us safe or thanks for protecting our country. You will get a different reaction.

Makes sense, I’ll try that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, nobody said:

5% of veterans blow you off.  Have you ever worked a job or been anywhere where at least 5% of the people weren't shìtbags?  If only 5% are giving you a hard time, I'd say you're making out pretty good.

 

 

And 90% silently think FU and walk away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The military gets thanked when they cash paychecks and receive benefits.   No more is necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have never thanked a veteran for their service. It's awkward if you don't know them personally. You don't know who they are. And if I know them personally, I'm sure we have had talks about it. Do you go and thank police randomly, maybe firemen, maybe EMTs? Cashiers are probably the most 'thanked' people on the planet.

"Here's your receipt. Have a nice day."

"Thank you. You too."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The military gets thanked when they cash paychecks and receive benefits.   No more is necessary.

You’re kind of a d!ck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

You’re kind of a d!ck

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always just say “no problem”, can’t be a d1ck, 90% of the time it’s a kid being sent over by their parents.  I usually carry extra US flags in my pocket to give to them.  It’s a harmless interaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×