Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Non-political Wednesday diversion-Thought Experiment(s)

George is on a footbridge over the trolley tracks. He knows trolleys, and can see that the one approaching the bridge is out of control. On the track back of the bridge there are five people; the banks are so steep that they will not be able to get off the track in time. George knows that the only way to stop an out-of-control trolley is to drop a very heavy weight into its path. But the only available, sufficiently heavy weight, is a fat man, also watching the trolley from the footbridge. George can shove the fat man onto the track in the path of the trolley, killing the fat man; or he can refrain from doing this, letting the five die.

What should George do?  Only serious or really funny answers are allowed.

2 guys are watching the train from a safe vantage point, and 5 idiots are walking on the tracks.  Is there even a question here?  

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

2 guys are watching the train from a safe vantage point, and 5 idiots are walking on the tracks.  Is there even a question here?  

This

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

This is the correct answer.

The 5 people knew the risk and they chose to ignore that risk.

The fat splat is tempting, but you would probably hurt your back, trying to push him over the railing. Just make a phone vid of the 5 potential Darwin Award winners and share it here. :thumbsup:

As with anything in life, George should treat the situation like he's a National Geographic cameraman. 

19 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i need to know the gender and race of the 5 :D

And can sizes of any females.

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

What should George do?  Only serious or really funny answers are allowed.

Nothing because 1) there’s no guarantee the fat man will stop the trolley thereby saving all five lives and 2) even if there was, the five people on the track assumed that risk. The fat guy is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He should push t.j. booker onto the tracks, go meet the other 5 guys, and run a train on Gloria.  

I think I'd feel guilty if I didn't save the 5 people and equally guilty for killing the fat guy...think my decision would be to wait for the 5 people to get under the footbridge and then drop the fat guy on them.   

Meh, drobs had a good run.  Toss him over and see what happens.  

Will need the race, gender and attractiveness and can size of the five if any are women,  before deciding. 

Have to say I'm very pleased with our work on the thought experiment, I think it proves conclusively this is stubbornly immature bunch.   :doublethumbsup:

18 minutes ago, frank said:

Now figure out how much wood a woodchuck could chuck. 

George is a serial killer who has rigged the tracks to fail and paid the five people to give him a plausible excuse to kill the fat guy.  Just saying, he seems to know a lot about out of control trolleys. :dunno:

18 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Have to say I'm very pleased with our work on the thought experiment, I think it proves conclusively this is stubbornly immature bunch.   :doublethumbsup:

That's it! I'm pushing you in front of the trolley. 

3 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

That depends on where the Trolley is at. In the U.S. about 15. In India it would be above 1,000.

That's a new record for the US

10 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

How many people are on the trolley?

Wow---you are seriously missing the larger point.   The question you should be asking is if this trolley left the station at 1:00 and traveling at 30 MPH and another trolley left the opposite station at 1:30 travelling at 55 MPH...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Wow---you are seriously missing the larger point.   The question you should be asking is if this trolley left the station at 1:00 and traveling at 30 MPH and another trolley left the opposite station at 1:30 travelling at 55 MPH...

I actually was going to post that but went with something simpler

also where is Captain Marvel in comparison to the trolley and can't she just time travel to prevent this 

• Haha 1