Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Ever stop reading a book you don’t like?

If you’ve gotten substantially (a third or more) through it?

I have been hating this book I’m reading. Every time I get through a chapter or two I tell the Missus “That’s it I’m putting this shiit down.” And every time I keep reading out of inertia or sunk cost fallacy or something. 

:dunno:

Book? No, but I did stop focking a bittch once that I thought had some trash pusssy.

Yep, many times and never looked back.  There was one time, though, when I was reading "She's Come Undone".  I put it down 10 times, but kept picking it back up for some reason.  Finally I toughed it through the first 150 and couldn't put it down after that. .  It is a Masterpiece. 

All the time. I don't pay for any of my books though. Pirate them all. That makes it easier to cut my losses. 

Once in a blue moon, I go back to one and it finally catches me and I finish it. 

Nah. I usually finish the book. It aggravates me to leave things unfinished. Even if the book sucks I’ll still finish it 

Yes... many many times.  Same thoughts.. wtf am I wasting my time on this... I realize I don't even care how it ends... or it just gets iver the top with whatever little agenda the author is going for and it massively over shadows the storyline.

GoT think I stopped in the middle of the 3rd book... Fock if he ain't gonna finish them why should I? 

33 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Nah. I usually finish the book. It aggravates me to leave things unfinished. Even if the book sucks I’ll still finish it 

Me too. :wall:

i wish I could stop but it feels like quitting. Not unlike the GC.

:wacko:

I watch movies I don't like till the end too

1 minute ago, edjr said:

:wacko:

I watch movies I don't like till the end too

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been hating a movie and they introduce some twist or new arc right when I feel they should be wrapping up. :wall:

Yep, many times...  If it isn't holding my interest, no need to continue reading it...

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

GoT think I stopped in the middle of the 3rd book... Fock if he ain't gonna finish them why should I? 

Book 3 is the best in the series.  But I understand the sentiment, my wife and I read them all prior to the HBO series and finally caved to the HBO series passing the books; we're semi-binge watching and into season 5.

40 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Road

The Road is a great book, and takes a few hours at most to read.  It is written in a unique style but I totally enjoyed it.  :dunno:

To the OP, the last book I stalled on was The Book Thief.  Folks here will tell me it is a great book, and it certainly has accolades, but half way through I found I had no interest in the characters.

Yes, several times.  Don't remember all the titles but when they don't hold my interest, I move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Book 3 is the best in the series.  But I understand the sentiment, my wife and I read them all prior to the HBO series and finally caved to the HBO series passing the books; we're semi-binge watching and into season 5.

The Road is a great book, and takes a few hours at most to read.  It is written in a unique style but I totally enjoyed it.  :dunno:

To the OP, the last book I stalled on was The Book Thief.  Folks here will tell me it is a great book, and it certainly has accolades, but half way through I found I had no interest in the characters.

I hated it. Too depressing. I guess I wasn't in the mood a the time. 

1 minute ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

Spoiler. Sam eats the eggs and ham. 

I would not eat them on a hunt

I would not eat them from your kunt

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I would not eat them on a hunt

I would not eat them from your kunt

Would you eat them with a ball gagged bear?

Would you eat them while covering your legs with Nair? 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I hated it. Too depressing. I guess I wasn't in the mood a the time. 

That's the art of it; it moves you in a depressive way.  I'd give it another try.

Just now, jerryskids said:

That's the art of it; it moves you in a depressive way.  I'd give it another try.

I don't know. I kept thinking about  having a small child in that circumstance and how vulnerable one would be. I guess that was his point, but I didn't like thinking about it. 

• Like 1

Didn't read The Road but liked the movie that is based on it, but yeah depressing as fock.

I'm old fashioned so I still buy my books from brick and mortar stores. If a book looks interesting I'll pick it up and start reading. If it doesn't grab my attention on the first page or two I put it back and look for another. 

Why read a book by choice if it doesn't interest you? :wacko:

Hell, I've stopped reading some books I did like.  :dunno:

I was about a third of the way through Shantaram and stopped reading it for some reason.  Didn't dislike it but wasn't super taken with it either. This was a couple years ago.  Now I'm thinking about picking it back up but don't remember wtf was going on so I'm trying to decide whether to start it over or not.  :doh:

Oh definitely.  Sometimes it's the verbiage, long chapters,  choppy writing, or I'm not big on excessive flashbacks.

For me its rarely the story because I got the book on the initial idea of the story. Usually...like movies...the writer focked it up somehow.

33 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don't know. I kept thinking about  having a small child in that circumstance and how vulnerable one would be. I guess that was his point, but I didn't like thinking about it. 

This is why I couldn't watch the movie.  I started it, but had to tune out.  I love post apocalypse movies and books, but not this one.  

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The Bible - too many "thou shalt not" items in it.  Couldn't buy into what they were selling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

I read about 10 pages of War and Peace. :sleep:

Too bad, it really heats up around page 11 or 12.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Got about 300 pages into Les Miserables.  I was miserables.  

Really?  I loved that book in HS.  Then again we read the abridged version; I've heard the unabridged has a 200-ish page dissertation on the sewer system in Paris at the time, that might get kinda old...  anyway, Les Miz and Tale of Two Cities are my two favorite classic novels from HS.

Just now, jerryskids said:

Really?  I loved that book in HS.  Then again we read the abridged version; I've heard the unabridged has a 200-ish page dissertation on the sewer system in Paris at the time, that might get kinda old...  anyway, Les Miz and Tale of Two Cities are my two favorite classic novels from HS.

I love long reads.  My copy of Les Mis was probably 800+, so no big deal, but just fought my way to 300 and gave up. 

Only once.  I’m like you in that momentum will keep me going to the end.  It has to be real trash to get me to stop.

7 hours ago, parrot said:

Hell, I've stopped reading some books I did like.  :dunno:

I was about a third of the way through Shantaram and stopped reading it for some reason.  Didn't dislike it but wasn't super taken with it either. This was a couple years ago.  Now I'm thinking about picking it back up but don't remember wtf was going on so I'm trying to decide whether to start it over or not.  :doh:

That's one of my favorites. Sequel is great too. 

Yes, but for the most part I try to power through

Fifty Shades of Grey

That book was so stupid and unreadable it makes me wonder about the female population's intelligence.

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

Fifty Shades of Grey

That book was so stupid and unreadable it makes me wonder about the female population's intelligence.

Wife read it.  Afterwards, I got the best sex from her ever.  I don't care whether it was stupid.  :banana:

• Like 1