Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Airless car tire eliminates flats.

1.) couldn't use in mud or snow, so very limited sales area.  I'm surprised they can't close that open area on the tire.

2.) it seems like those "support beams" inside would become floppy and lose support quickly. Obviously Michelin has tested them, but it just seems like it, visualizing it.

3.) obviously manufacturers won't make them last "too long" -- they still need sales. As with a lot of products, manufacturers make sure their product needs replacing at normal intervals.(Cell phones?) 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/06/05/michelin-airless-tire-orig.cnn

15 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

1.) couldn't use in mud or snow, so very limited sales area.  I'm surprised they can't close that open area on the tire.

2.) it seems like those "support beams" inside would become floppy and lose support quickly. Obviously Michelin has tested them, but it just seems like it, visualizing it.

3.) obviously manufacturers won't make them last "too long" -- they still need sales. As with a lot of products, manufacturers make sure their product needs replacing at normal intervals.(Cell phones?) 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/06/05/michelin-airless-tire-orig.cnn

1. They probably cannot close the tire due to heat buildup.

2. Maybe, but the treads will probably wear out first

3. I do not think this stops the manufacturer. They have the patent, if they could build a tire that lasts a much longer time they would steal the market share. Look at tires today compared to even tires 20-30 years ago. I think my tires are rated for 80,000 miles, a tire back then was rated for 20-30k and you were lucky to see that.

A big blow to jilted girlfriends everywhere.  :(

48 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Those have been around for YEARS. 

Those have been good years. 

Back in the mid 19th century we had  airless tires on our covered wagons. Constantly fighting off the injuns. Never had a flat. Sometimes they broke but, well, never once had to stop at the local gas station to get air. Saved a lot of time. Necessary with a bunch of Sioux on your ass. :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

1. They probably cannot close the tire due to heat buildup.

2. Maybe, but the treads will probably wear out first

3. I do not think this stops the manufacturer. They have the patent, if they could build a tire that lasts a much longer time they would steal the market share. Look at tires today compared to even tires 20-30 years ago. I think my tires are rated for 80,000 miles, a tire back then was rated for 20-30k and you were lucky to see that.

1.) Good point

2.) Good point

3.) It seems like patents hardly work.