Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Oberlin College Learning a Valuable Lesson

Link

An Ohio bakery that sued Oberlin College for libel over accusations of racism has been awarded a total of $44 million in damages.

The family behind Gibson’s Bakery sued the liberal arts institution and a school administrator after the Oberlin bakery became the center of protests following the arrest of three students black students involved in an alleged November 2016 shoplifting incident that students said was motivated by race.

A Lorain County jury on Thursday awarded Gibson’s Bakery $33.2 million in punitive damages. Last week, that same jury awarded the bakery, which was founded in Oberlin in 1905, $11 million in compensatory damages.

This is fantastic news for us all, holding people accountable in this way is our best hope to end the violence and intolerance of the leftists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ray Lewis's Limo Driver said:

Link

This is fantastic news for us all, holding people accountable in this way is our best hope to end the violence and intolerance of the leftists.

That's a lot of cakes

Have to love that the miscreants they were all protesting for plead out and said there was no racism. No one let's fanatical libtards down like the blacks 

I don't know that they learned jack sh*t. It's more maybe denial and utter shock/horror that nobody agrees with them.

Anyway, add another school to the list of places where my kids will never go. 

If you think liberals learned any kind of lesson here you haven't been paying attention. 

20 minutes ago, MDC said:

Meh. An organized protest comprised exclusively of students from a particular college can have consequences. If they ruined a business by setting the building on fire no one would even debate it.  

25 minutes ago, MDC said:

What did you have to google to find that link? You didn’t even post the direct link, you posted the google search link. Which means you probably googled “negatives about oberlin college” and posted the first link you saw.

31 minutes ago, MDC said:

Employee activities on company time using company resources generally make the employer liable for the employee's actions.

The administrator organized the protests on university (employer) time using university (employer) resources.

• Like 2

Students of these liberal colleges are getting their motivation from somewhere to do shlt like this. If they don't want Ben Shapiro to speak, they riot. If they don't want any other speaker that they don't like to speak, they riot. If anything happens to a black person, even if they deserved whatever happened, they riot without knowing the full truth of the situation. If Hillary loses, they cry like babies.

A lot of their actions are because of the crap the liberal teachers are filling their heads with. 

This ruling was a victory for sanity.

• Like 3

Just now, Vikings4ever said:

Employee activities on company time using company company resources generally make the employer liable for the employee's actions.

The administrator organized the protests on university (employer) time using university (employer) resources.

Yep.  This is a no-brainer and hopefully more colleges will be held liable for the unrest and violence they foment by hiring mid to far left professors.

10 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

What did you have to google to find that link? You didn’t even post the direct link, you posted the google search link. Which means you probably googled “negatives about oberlin college” and posted the first link you saw.

Sometimes I read an article and want to find it again.  In this case I would've probably searched Forbes Oberlin.

The problem with this article is that it assumes there is nothing between no consequences and no freedom of expression.  All they had to do was their job and when they caught wind of the issue guided the students on the proper responses.

19 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Meh. An organized protest comprised exclusively of students from a particular college can have consequences. If they ruined a business by setting the building on fire no one would even debate it.  

If the bakery sued the individual protestors or professors that would make sense. They sued Oberlin because the college has deep pockets. Unless Oberlin itself paid for or organized the protests, and based on the article I read I am not sure they did, I don’t know why they should be held liable for the actions of their employees.

19 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I think I Googled “Oberlin bakery libel” and that link came up. When I click the link it brings me directly to the Forbes article. :dunno:

24 minutes ago, MDC said:

If the bakery sued the individual protestors or professors that would make sense. They sued Oberlin because the college has deep pockets. Unless Oberlin itself paid for or organized the protests, and based on the article I read I am not sure they did, I don’t know why they should be held liable for the actions of their employees.

The protest was organised within the college. If it stayed on campus, that is a different story. Once a protest by students spills off campus it is liable for the result, that is well established.

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The protest was organised within the college. If it stayed on campus, that is a different story. Once a protest by students spills off campus it is liable for the result, that is well established.

So if me and my coworkers organize a protest at my company and use their printer for fliers etc without their endorsement my company is liable? Seems odd.

I love it when uninformed geeks weigh in on a topic.  Good job MDC!
:Roflmao:

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

I love it when uninformed geeks weigh in on a topic.  Good job MDC!
:Roflmao:

I love it when uninformed geeks lash out in Borglike retard fury. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MDC said:

So if me and my coworkers organize a protest at my company and use their printer for fliers etc without their endorsement my company is liable? Seems odd.

If your company could prove they had no prior knowledge of the incident, I'm sure they would not be held responsible.  These students organized a witch-hunt with knowledge from the school and they just let it happen.

You have to like a guy like MDC attempting to make his case with knowing close to zero facts about the case. If he had bothered to read past a headline he would know the president of the college participated in and helped organize the protests, and made libelous claims against the victims. But as they say, Troll gonna troll. 

11 minutes ago, nobody said:

If your company could prove they had no prior knowledge of the incident, I'm sure they would not be held responsible.  These students organized a witch-hunt with knowledge from the school and they just let it happen.

Okay. Well I’m just going off the Forbes article I saw. In general I am a staunch supporter of free speech. But hey maybe I am wrong in this case. :cheers:

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Okay. Well I’m just going off the Forbes article I saw. In general I am a staunch supporter of free speech. But hey maybe I am wrong in this case. :cheers:

Just to be clear. You're "going off" a media article as an excuse to why you're completely wrong.  You're using this excuse to a bunch of people who have been b1tching about how bias and wrong the media reports things time and time again?

It's a bold strategy Cotton. Lets see if it pays off.

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

You'd have a point if this case had anything to do with free speech.  It doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

You'd have a point if this case had anything to do with free speech.  It doesn't.

:lol:

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Your scenario here has nothing to do with what happened. Perhaps you can start a different thread.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Your scenario here has nothing to do with what happened. Perhaps you can start a different thread.

He's willfully ignorant.  Let him be.

Oberlin is going to appeal the ruling. Good luck a$$holes. I'd like to offer a Michigan high-five to the fine citizen jury of Oberlin Ohio and then to both President Trump and Mitch McConell for helping to shape the 6th Circuit into one of the very best places in the country to preside over this appeal.

We have the finest circuit court in the country. I think we have six Trump appointed judges. Bring it b*tches.

41 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Oberlin is going to appeal the ruling. Good luck a$$holes. I'd like to offer a Michigan high-five to the fine citizen jury of Oberlin Ohio and then to both President Trump and Mitch McConell for helping to shape the 6th Circuit into one of the very best places in the country to preside over this appeal.

We have the finest circuit court in the country. I think we have six Trump appointed judges. Bring it b*tches.

I live in the 9th.  Our appeals court sucks epically. :(

39 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

McConnell scrapped the blue slip rule, I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it's what allows home state Senators to block nominees. It's a rather big deal and the Dems are screaming mad about it. Anyway, the spigot is opened, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris are about to get steamrolled, and the 9th district is going to get a flood of Trump  judges soon. Not enough to flip the 9th circuit court sadly,, but enough to start offering some semblance of sanity to it.

(Edit, I take that back, last I checked there were six vacancies, now there are only two and soon zero hopefully. Trump and McConnell have already been hard at work)

3 hours ago, MDC said:

The Forbes article written by a Oberlin alum 

Not gonna comment on the story since I don't know what the fock I'm talking about. I wouldn't want to sound like a focking retard...

:lol: :lol:

Judge dismisses lawsuit of former campaign staffer who accused Trump of forcibly kissing her

According to Politico, U.S. District Court Judge William Jung
tossed out Alva Johnson’s complaint, saying in his 15-page order that "the complaint presents a political lawsuit, not a tort and wages lawsuit."

Jung added, "If plaintiff wishes to make a political statement or bring a claim for political purposes, this is not the forum

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-of-former-campaign-staffer-that-accused-president-trump-of-forcibly-kissing-her

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

9th Circuit gets another Trump-picked judge, after White House bypasses consultation with Dems

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed President Trump's nominee to be a judge on the liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in a party-line vote -- and, in a historic snub, the White House ignored the input of the judge's two Democratic home-state senators in the process.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ninth-circuit-gets-another-trump-picked-judge-after-white-house-bypasses-consultation-with-dems

11 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

9th Circuit gets another Trump-picked judge, after White House bypasses consultation with Dems

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed President Trump's nominee to be a judge on the liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in a party-line vote -- and, in a historic snub, the White House ignored the input of the judge's two Democratic home-state senators in the process.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ninth-circuit-gets-another-trump-picked-judge-after-white-house-bypasses-consultation-with-dems

That's good.  Never understood why they needed a Senator's approval in the fist place.  Fock 'em - it's the President's pick.   Who gives two shiites what the home state Senators think.

27 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That's good.  Never understood why they needed a Senator's approval in the fist place.  Fock 'em - it's the President's pick.   Who gives two shiites what the home state Senators think.

Senators are the most powerful and therefore the most corrupt politicians in the world. You don't think that appointing local judges helped them?

Don't much about this case but I think the word steal may be better described as: a black male student tried to purchase wine but was underage. He ran out of the store and was caught and put in a choke hold. Then the story gets to long for me to care. Glad the bakery was rewarded for their maltreatment by the school.

14 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Senators are the most powerful and therefore the most corrupt politicians in the world. You don't think that appointing local judges helped them?

Helped them what?  I'm not following.

33 minutes ago, peenie said:

Don't much about this case but I think the word steal may be better described as: a black male student tried to purchase wine but was underage. He ran out of the store and was caught and put in a choke hold. Then the story gets to long for me to care. Glad the bakery was rewarded for their maltreatment by the school.

People like throwing the chokehold term round. And they don't know what one is.