• Undercover Angel- Alan O'Day
    • Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song- BJ Thomas
    • Love Will Keep Us Together- Captain and Tenille
    • Sunshine (Go Away Today)- Jonathan Edwards
    • Dancing in the Moonlight- King's Harvest
    • Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)- Looking Glass
    • Rose Garden- Lynn Anderson
    • Mr Bojangles- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

As a spinoff to nzoner's awesome thread about AM radio, which of these corny 70's AM radio songs is your favorite.

I didn't include an 'other' option, because there will be more polls in the future.

PS- If you know every one of these songs, let me know. I think we're in an exclusive club

Born in '71, but still had to Google some of those.  They all suck.

I'll go Dancing in the Moonlight.

14 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Afternoon Delight is missing, so I went with Dancing in the Moonlight

There are 4835 songs still missing.  I hope to add about 50 of them in subsequent polls.

14 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Afternoon Delight is missing, so I went with Dancing in the Moonlight

There's lots of bad songs missing. 

Seasons in the Sun

Convoy

Disco Duck

And on and on

8 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

There's lots of bad songs missing. 

Seasons in the Sun

Convoy

Disco Duck

And on and on

Disco Duck will never see one of my polls.  🐤

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

As a spinoff to nzoner's awesome thread about AM radio, which of these corny 70's AM radio songs is your favorite.

I didn't include an 'other' option, because there will be more polls in the future.

PS- If you know every one of these songs, let me know. I think we're in an exclusive club

Not really a fan of any of those songs.  I'd have voted for "None of the Above", but that wasn't an option.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Not really a fan of any of those songs.  I'd have voted for "None of the Above", but that wasn't an option.

I could probably guess a person's age based on how many of those songs he/she knows and how many she/she likes.

Dear lord, most of these songs suck. Although, I have to admit, there’s a few I don’t know. 

Went with Brandy, as it’s the least sucky...

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Brandy and Dancing in the Moonlight

Yeah, these were the two main, but I am a little surprised that Capt/tenille did not get some love too

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I could probably guess a person's age based on how many of those songs he/she knows and how many she/she likes.

I wouldn't be shocked.  Most people's favorite songs are from their "Prime years".  I refer to Prime years as being 14-21... in general, the year you start high school to the year you're allowed to go to bars (legally).

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

Sadly I know them all. I've tried to forget them. I can't remember what I had for lunch, but these horrors I remember. Life is cruel. 

• Like 1

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I wouldn't be shocked.  Most people's favorite songs are from their "Prime years".  I refer to Prime years as being 14-21... in general, the year you start high school to the year you're allowed to go to bars (legally).

These songs are all pretty corny. I don't think they'd get a lot of love from people who were in their prime years of late teens/21 in the mid-70's. . They probably liked 'cooler' stuff than this. Skynyrd, Kiss, etc.    Those who would have a soft spot for these songs were more likely to be 7-13 at this time. Listening to whatever their parents had on the radio. Or was playing over the loudspeaker at the public pool.  (talking about me.  lol)

12 hours ago, The Observer said:

. Listening to whatever their parents had on the radio. 

Yep. pretty much this.
I'll be the first to admit that I still love many "corny" 70s songs. 
The decade of the one hit wonder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fandandy said:

I voted Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song.  

Good one. :thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, Fuckin Terry Jacks and his death song always made me misty eyed. To this day.
Right up there with "Don't take the Girl"  , Beaches. and Hangar 18

Mr. Bojangles.  Written by Jerry Jeff Walker.  

Jerry Jeff is mentioned by Willie Nelson in the song lyrics to Lukenbach Texas  “Hank Williams pain songs, Jerry Jeff train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin’ in the Rain”

Mr Bojangles was based on a homeless man he met in a New Orleans jail. The man referred to himself as "Mr. Bojangles" and regaled Walker with various stories about his life and then created a depressing mood in the cell when he talked about his dog, who had died. When one of the other men requested for someone to cheer everyone up, "Mr Bojangles" hopped up and performed a tap dance

The nickname makes sense since it originated with tap dancer and performer, Bill Robinson. You might recognize him from some classic 1930s films like Shirley Temple's Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's cover is the most popular version but I also remember Sammy Davis Jr performing this song on a variety show.  John Denver, Bob Dylan, Whitney Houston and others have also covered it  

Know them all.  Went with Brandy because it was one that I drafted in the 70's music draft. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Good one. :thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, Fuckin Terry Jacks and his death song always made me misty eyed. To this day.
Right up there with "Don't take the Girl"  , Beaches. and Hangar 18

Since I was a kid every time I hear Seasons in the Sun I have to change the lyrics to "we had joy, we had fun, we were streaking in the sun. But the cops had their guns and they shot us in the buns."  :dunno:

Born in '70 but there were several I don't know by their title.  If I heard them I'd probably recognize them, though.  "Brandy" isn't ringing a bell for me. 

38 minutes ago, DonS said:

Born in '70 but there were several I don't know by their title.  If I heard them I'd probably recognize them, though.  "Brandy" isn't ringing a bell for me. 

Check it out Don. Fantastic song. 

43 minutes ago, DonS said:

Weird, wasn't Looking Glass one of everybody's favorite bands?  :lol:

I made the mistake of asking my wife who loves all that old crap and singing karaoke.  She then started singing each one.  I now have Undercover Angel stuck in my head. :mad:

• Haha 1

Tough choice, lots of good shmaltzy songs back then.  Went with Sunshine; always loved that song.

I was 3-13 in the 70s (born in 67) and I agree with Newbs that the 7-13 range is probably most influential.  :cheers:

4 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Since I was a kid every time I hear Seasons in the Sun I have to change the lyrics to "we had joy, we had fun, we were streaking in the sun. But the cops had their guns and they shot us in the buns."  :dunno:

I did that years ago with the Christmas song Happy Holidays by Andy Williams and it stuck, now every time I hear it...

It's the holiday season
So hoop-de-do and hickory dock
And don't forget to suck on my c0ck  :music_guitarred:

I thought Brandy was the easy choice here. That one, and Dancing in the Moonlight, are the only two I'd wanna be caught listening to. I'd listen to Rock Me Gently for the guilty pleasure/kitsch factor if I was alone. The rest, I'd change the station immediately.

I love music polls........I just there were better categories / options

On 6/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, SUXBNME said:

Brandy and Dancing in the Moonlight

Same

Even though it's quite poppy, I fully believe "Love Will Keep Us Together" is the best song up there. Not my kind of music, but still. 

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Even though it's quite poppy, I fully believe "Love Will Keep Us Together" is the best song up there. Not my kind of music, but still. 

It's no Muscrat Love, though.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, 5-Points said:

I just finished writing and recording a radio commercial that's a parody of I Got You Babe,my fireworks manager sang it and nailed it It's airing on our local oldies station.

"If you're needing a show

and short on dough

You should go see

Pyyyyyy-ro Joe

He's got cakes

and fountains galore

Missles and sparklers

and a wholllllllllllle lot more"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I just finished writing and recording a radio commercial that's a parody of I Got You Babe,my fireworks manager sang it and nailed it It's airing on our local oldies station.

"If you're needing a show

and short on dough

You should go see

Pyyyyyy-ro Joe

He's got cakes

and fountains galore

Missles and sparklers

and a wholllllllllllle lot more"

Haha.  That's awesome.  My girl and I went to a costume party in October dressed as Sonny and Cher.  My costume was basic, but she nailed it as Cher.

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

Haha.  That's awesome.  My girl and I went to a costume party in October dressed as Sonny and Cher.  My costume was basic, but she nailed it as Cher.

You should've gone as undead skier Sonny. 

You want some real cheese :lol:  And yes I had the .45 when I was a kid

6 minutes ago, nzoner said:

You want some real cheese :lol:  And yes I had the .45 when I was a kid

Haha.  Classic.  He had another hit with Last Game of the Season.  Another tear jerker.  lol