Sign in to follow this  
DonS

I went to my son's college graduation...

...and a political rally broke out. 

Some of the highlights:

- during singing of the National Anthem by one of the women earning a Masters Degree (who did a great job, btw) several of the graduates were sitting. Spoiler alert: many had purple hair

-NA was followed by a drum circle by a local Native American tribe.  Was cool, at first, but then continued on for about 3x the length of NA.  Everyone stood for that one.

- one of the student speakers was earning a Masters in Social Worker studies (or whatever). She was Mexican and went on and on about immigrants (never using the forbidden "Illegal" word) and of course ranted about police brutality against "black and brown" people. Whew! She kept white privilege out of it at least. 

- the words "social justice" was mentioned about a dozen times or more. Equality and inclusion were a close 2nd and 3rd.

- before things started they had video profiles of several students played on jumbotron. One was about a very attractive woman in my son's graduating class from school of computer science.  I noticed her yesterday because their school had a smaller ceremony and she was chatting with my son.  Had lots of tats and was pretty damn hot. Anyways her video piece was about her battling against implicit bias against women in technology.  Showed her teaching classes, doing computer sh1t, interning at eBay, etc.  Nice message, but I was confused when video included a looongg clip of her doing yoga in a tube top (smallish t1ts) and yoga pants on the riverfront.  Mixed message for sure.  Made me stir a bit so kudos. 

- president of school included a quote from Michelle Obama

- one of speakers gave mention to all the fathers in the audience for Father's Day.  There were nice applause and cheers. He then commented on the other special day today: Pride Day.  This was greeted by a thundering response from the graduates.  I really don't care about the pride celebration - - what you do in your bedroom is your business - - but if I'm being honest that kinda irritated the fock out of me. 

Long ass boring ceremony already. I could do without the political crap on top of it.  The speeches from the faculty during CS-only ceremony was completely apolitical and shockingly gave actual advice for the graduates as they start their careers. 

Sigh. Just let my son graduate so we can go get some food and beers and get on with celebrating his accomplishments.  Summa Laude, b1tches.

Before I get people calling me various names which all end in "ist", imagine going to your kid's ceremony and it was all about MAGA.  I'm sure that would bug you as well. 

Rant over. Drinking time!  Happy Father's Day everyone. 

Congrats for getting your son through. What is he going to do now.

The colleges are Uber-liberal places. They claim tolerance, but aren’t very tolerant of ideas that differ from theirs. Those kids will be much of the workforce in the future, so let’s see what they do.

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Congrats for getting your son through. What is he going to do now.

The colleges are Uber-liberal places. They claim tolerance, but aren’t very tolerant of ideas that differ from theirs. Those kids will be much of the workforce in the future, so let’s see what they do.

Starts new job on Tues. I told him enjoy tomorrow off, as he gets to look forward to about 40 or so years of work ahead of him.  :)

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

Starts new job on Tues. I told him enjoy tomorrow off, as he gets to look forward to about 40 or so years of work ahead of him.  :)

What is he doing? My oldest graduated HS last week. He is not going to college and joining the workforce. We will see how that goes for him. 

Going to work in Dev Ops for a company that he interned for, so he's staying in Portland.  Works for me as it keeps our concert connection going strong for at least a few more years.  Coming down to see Gojira at end of July. 

One child down, one to go.  Daughter is a sophomore at University of Washington studying chemistry, so we have maybe 2 more years until we're 100% empty nesters.

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Hopefully you can do it with minimal debt. College debt is a killer. 

Planned ahead so we're good.  In state tuition for UW is ~12k.  Portland State was just slightly higher but several western state schools have what they call the Western Undergrad Exchange (WUE) so out of state students can go for 1.5x cost of in state students. 

16 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What is he doing? My oldest graduated HS last week. He is not going to college and joining the workforce. We will see how that goes for him. 

What is he doing?

I missed my college graduation, cause I got drunk and passed out on the porch.  Feel I made the right choice.

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

What is he doing?

Landscaping now and looking to join the heavy equipment union in the Fall. Kid at least has a really good work ethic, so I hope he will be fine.

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

I missed my college graduation, cause I got drunk and passed out on the porch.  Feel I made the right choice.

You definitely did.  I asked my daughter if she minded if we just dropped her off and then picked her up after.  She wasn't amused. I feel I tipped my hand, though. I could've claimed I was there and that she just didn't see me in the crowd.  UW holds their commencement at Husky Stadium so she probably won't see me anyways. 

A quote from Michelle Obama.  Sheeez.  

Congrats! 

I would prefer that politics be left out of graduation speeches, but social justice, equality,   and inclusion are not dirty words and should be strived for.  

29 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Congrats! 

I would prefer that politics be left out of graduation speeches, but social justice, equality,   and inclusion are not dirty words and should be strived for.  

In small doses those words are definitely fine and I agree with the core concepts. Toss in a random "wall" or "immigrant" comment, though, while saying social justice social justice social justice REPEATEDLY and BOOM it's now 100% political. 

18 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

social justice, equality,   and inclusion are not dirty words and should be strived for.  

Yes they are disgusting words used by disgusting people..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes they are disgusting words used by disgusting people..

Great example of our problem at fft

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Sad part is I think he is serious 

100% serious.

24 minutes ago, DonS said:

I'm small doses those words are definitely fine and I agree with the core concepts. Toss in a random "wall" or "immigrant" comment, though, while saying social justice social justice social justice REPEATEDLY and BOOM it's now 100% political. 

I understand.

As the youth of tomorrow embrace the world I hope they incorporate these virtues into their practices and treatment of others.

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Congrats! 

It would be fine if they didn't distort those issues and mislead their flock. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a bunch of children who don't know their ass from their elbow, thinking because they have a degree it makes them woke

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Sounds like a bunch of children who don't know their ass from their elbow, thinking because they have a degree it makes them woke

I have faith in all the engineering students.  They definitely put in the hard work and will go on to have bright careers. Not so much for all the political science, social workers, and other liberal arts kids. 

Never went to mine. All that time money and effort, to have the final interaction to be treated like recalcitrant cattle forced to spend even more money, time and hassle - to be forcibly droned at yet again. Yeah, sounds like a wholly representative capstone. Fock you.

In your case, maybe its a parents thing, fine, you do you. 

But for me? All me. Didn't even let me crash at their 5 bedroom house a bus ride from campus to save money. 

No shiit, worked full time  + as tax guy downtown, then to CU-Den, then back DT to clean buildings.

Like I'm going to sit through crap and drown ceremony for anybody. Dock you, mail it a-hole. 

I bet they even charged for that.

Congrats on the kid - and having your folks there. Hope you made good memories after. 

Should a taped MAGA on the boys mitre board.

9 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Congrats! 

I agree, the awful treatment and lack of representation of conservative voices on college campuses is very troubling. 

It's a very non inclusive environment and very intolerant environment and something should be done about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Landscaping now and looking to join the heavy equipment union in the Fall. Kid at least has a really good work ethic, so I hope he will be fine.

I wish him the best. My son just graduated also and is not headed immediately to college. Did good enough on SATs but doesn't want to go. I won't push him. I hope for mine also.

12 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I understand.

As the youth of tomorrow embrace the world I hope they incorporate these virtues into their practices and treatment of others.

I'm gonna be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender

Are you there?
Say a prayer for the Pretender.
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drobeski said:

I agree, the awful treatment and lack of representation of conservative voices on college campuses is very troubling. 

It's a very non inclusive environment and very intolerant environment and something should be done about it.

Depends upon the content of the voice. 95+% or more should be open forum. No place for Aryan Nation, KKK rallies, etc. on campus. But yes, without overgeneralizing, there should be place for diverse opinions.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I'm gonna be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender

Are you there?
Say a prayer for the Pretender.
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender.

Stay gold Ponyboy

4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

I wish him the best. My son just graduated also and is not headed immediately to college. Did good enough on SATs but doesn't want to go. I won't push him. I hope for mine also.

Some kids are cut out for college and others are not.  Some kids just need a little more time to figure it out.  I tore it up my freshman year of college, so that was probably a wasted year for me. :banana:

I had originally hoped that he would have gone to a vocational high school and learned a trade, but he did not really want to go that route (probably more that my wife did not want him to go there).  I figure he is at least a good worker, so he will do fine initially.  I just hope he doesn't have to be doing manual labor when he is my age.  ;)

Universities have been a haven for liberalism since at least the 60's.

Many professors have never held a job outside of teaching.   They've never managed a business,, built a business, invented anything, done manual labor or served others in any capacity.  IMO, this limits their ability to prepare students for the real world. 

Let's see how many of these kids remain liberal when they start earning a paycheck and watching their hard earned tax dollars wasted by their govt.  

11 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Depends upon the content of the voice. 95+% or more should be open forum. No place for Aryan Nation, KKK rallies, etc. on campus. But yes, without overgeneralizing, there should be place for diverse opinions.

Your  lack of "no goes" is concerning. 

About to sit through HS graduation for neighbor and good friend of our daughter.  Hopefully this one will be apolitical. At the very least it will be much much shorter.