Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I'm going fishing all day today

It's going to be the only day that week that's decent and I will not have the kid. Im looking for another big pike. 

Do you ever target fish you can eat?  Walleye, crappie, perch?

11 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Walleye was one of the best fish I ever ate, along with sturgeon and barramundi. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Now I'm hungry...

44 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I'm actually targeting bass. I have just hit upon a good way to catch pike on just a a steady retrieve. 

57 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

It's going to be the only day that week that's decent and I will not have the kid. Im looking for another big pike. 

I'm sorry to hear that.  😁

Sorry, lol, boats and I are not friends.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Heat stroke. That's what I caught. Fock. 

This should be you 

20 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Im looking for another big pike. 

19 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I'm actually targeting bass. 

Ahem

31 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Ahem

Ok. So I want to catch a big pike. However I am not doing anything different than when I bass fish. 

6 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Ok. So I want to catch a big pike. However I am not doing anything different than when I bass fish. 

Cool.  I bass fish often in Pennsylvania rivers and some lakes.  Around here Pike, as you say, like a flashy moving bait.  I’m curious what you use?  Mepps? Rooster Tail?

I often Texas rig Gary Yamamoto double tailed hula grubs. Or wacky rig a senko.  These rigs are deadly on smallies but very rarly attract an unwanted species.

Another deadly trick -  Black spinner with a single black Colorado blade and real it slowly right at dusk.  The big boys are attracted to the vibration of the slow moving  Colorado blade.  

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound focking insane. I am using the exact same lure for crappie,bass and Pike. 

I have these giant oversized bright green grub worms that I toss as far as I can and then bring them in on a steady retrieve on a wire leader and an insanely strong hook. 

32 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I know this is going to sound focking insane. I am using the exact same lure for crappie,bass and Pike. 

I have these giant oversized bright green grub worms that I toss as far as I can and then bring them in on a steady retrieve on a wire leader and an insanely strong hook. 

Did your bass catch rate decrease with the wire leader?

49 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Did your bass catch rate decrease with the wire leader?

Oh it definitely did. Without question. The min I tried fishing without one I got sawed off twice by pike. 

47 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Oh it definitely did. Without question. The min I tried fishing without one I got sawed off twice by pike. 

Yup.  Enjoy.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

What type wire leader are you using?

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

What type wire leader are you using?

A 6 inch  black eagle claw

7 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

A 6 inch  black eagle claw

Something like the below will have a lower visibility. I face a similar issue when jigging, the problem is we need a wire leader for barracuda's, but the other fish can be line shy.

If you can eliminate the swivels and snaps i think that helps quite a bit. The downsides is that it makes switching lures a bigger pain, the initial overhead on learning how to use this type of leader, and the extremely sharp point near your lure that will cut you when you least expect it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/american-fishing-wire-tooth-proof-stainless-steel-leader-wire?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ZOFjf314gIVltlkCh0aIAmqEAQYASABEgLLFPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

21 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Something like the below will have a lower visibility. I face a similar issue when jigging, the problem is we need a wire leader for barracuda's, but the other fish can be line shy.

If you can eliminate the swivels and snaps i think that helps quite a bit. The downsides is that it makes switching lures a bigger pain, the initial overhead on learning how to use this type of leader, and the extremely sharp point near your lure that will cut you when you least expect it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/american-fishing-wire-tooth-proof-stainless-steel-leader-wire?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ZOFjf314gIVltlkCh0aIAmqEAQYASABEgLLFPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am going to order some. I took the leader off yesterday to see what the difference is and I ended up with some nice bass. I need a happy medium between not scaring bass off but not being sawed off by the amazing amount of pike in the lake. 

9 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I am going to order some. I took the leader off yesterday to see what the difference is and I ended up with some nice bass. I need a happy medium between not scaring bass off but not being sawed off by the amazing amount of pike in the lake. 

Maybe this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Vanish-Leader-Material-Fluorocarbon-Wrist-Line-Spool/16912036?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1259&adid=22222222227010198295&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40970221352&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78913280672&wl5=9006825&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112343778&wl11=online&wl12=16912036&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OsatursdDORaK22HgkGn-UhCc3WnLTO0LVEBhpE_tBLEGUZMBkDWkRoC4WgQAvD_BwE

I got a pack of eagle claw micro leaders and man that made a huge difference.