Sign in to follow this  
University of Oregon students demand removal of pioneer statue because they feel oppressed...

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13357

University of Oregon students and faculty are demanding the removal of an American pioneer statue on its 100-year anniversary.

The statue depicts a pioneer standing on a rock with a rifle slung over its shoulder and a whip in its right hand. Although no suspects were identified, the statue was vandalized in April with red spray paint on its crotch and whip, according to the Daily Emerald.

Sculptor Alexander Phimister Proctor, who designed the statue installed at the university in 1919, aimed to celebrate the achievements of pioneers, according to the University of Oregon.

Daily Emerald reported the U Oregon Native American Student Union (NASU) protested for the removal of the Pioneer statue in May on the 100-year anniversary of the statue’s installation on campus. According to the Daily Emerald, Bret Gilbert, co-leader of NASU, organized a protest with the hope of getting a list of signatures in support of the statue’s removal.

“A lot of our students feel oppressed by the statue. I know when I walk under it I feel very inferior,” Gilbert said. “I don’t feel that way when I’m at other places on campus. I don’t think that’s what the university community wants us to feel like when we’re here.”

NASU member Ryan Reed suggested that the rifle slung over the Pioneer’s shoulder made him feel uncomfortable.

“A lot of people think a pioneer is a frontiersman — an explorer. For us, it’s a totally different definition,” Reed said, according to the Daily Emerald. “That feeling comes from what he’s carrying on his shoulder and what he’s carrying on his belt.”

"The UO fully appreciates that to many Oregonians, including those of Native American ancestry, it stands for something very different, the framing of history from only one culture’s perspective," UO spokeswoman Molly Blancett told KLCC. "We take those views very seriously. Last winter, the UO established a presidential working group – led by Dean of Libraries Adriene Lim and Professor Dean Livelybrooks – to audit and review campus monuments, plaques, and public art installations and recommend whether any changes need to be made to those features to recognize the diverse histories of our community."

Blancett said the group hopes to release a report in fall 2019.

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

newbie supports this

Yup...

I couldn't imagine being "offended" or feeling "oppressed" by every freaking thing. A statue of a pioneer :lol: my God. What a bunch of snowflake babies. I really wish college administrators would tell these adults to fock off and grow up.

2 minutes ago, crackattack said:

I couldn't imagine being "offended" or feeling "oppressed" by every freaking thing. A statue of a pioneer :lol: my God. What a bunch of snowflake babies. I really wish college administrators would tell these adults to fock off and grow up.

They also feel inferior to a statue. 

I wonder if someone feels threatened by their cartoon duck mascot as well.  All it takes is one loon to write a Tweet about it and then it gets reported by news organizations as "students outraged by cartoon duck". 

These are simply idiots who feel the need to find something to complain about. Flat out retards.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crackattack said:

That is what is needed. instead of dragging it out, just come out and say, 'STFU, you focking retards.' Start doing that and maybe, just maybe we can get back to being a world class country where we step on and beat up losers.

17 minutes ago, lod001 said:

These are simply idiots who feel the need to find something to complain about. Flat out retards.

i.e. Democrats...

• Like 2

As someone that has never been offended by anything I can't help but wonder what goes through the minds of people like this. Do they just wake up and look for things that will hurt their feelings? I hope they know they are the reason people like me strive to be as offensive and politically incorrect as possible. If they would quit being butthurt all the time the shock value of my racist jokes and remarks wouldn't hold as much weight and I would likely not do it as much. 

12 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

As someone that has never been offended by anything I can't help but wonder what goes through the minds of people like this. Do they just wake up and look for things that will hurt their feelings? I hope they know they are the reason people like me strive to be as offensive and politically incorrect as possible. If they would quit being butthurt all the time the shock value of my racist jokes and remarks wouldn't hold as much weight and I would likely not do it as much. 

You've never opened a Joneo link.

1 minute ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

You've never opened a Joneo link.

I have opened a many of his links and I differentiate being offended and wanting to throw up my lunch. 

3 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I have opened a many of his links and I differentiate being offended and wanting to throw up my lunch. 

What about the self loathing you feel when you realize you're aroused by joneo links? 

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

What about the self loathing you feel when you realize you're aroused by joneo links? 

Wait what?  I'm not supposed the be aroused by those?

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

I may hate myself, but I'm still not offended. 

I beginning to understand why old people hate everybody.  The older I get...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

I beginning to understand why old people hate everybody.  The older I get...

I totally get this sentiment, but the elderly are still very high on my list of people I hate. I got behind some blue hair old biatch yesterday trying to parallel park. I bet she got 2 SS checks in the mail during the time it took her to wedge that focking Buick in there. 

31 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

It's because you realize that everyone sucks. 

I tend to agree, but everyone didn't used to suck. I mean this type of sissy shiat was not going on until recently. This statue is 100 years old and no one complained until this retarded generation was born. I do blame social media giving retards a platform to spread retardation quickly.

People just keep getting more stupid, not sure if it more sad or disappointing 

I don't really have an opinion on this, but the bolded part made me laugh out loud.  

"I know when I walk under it I feel very inferior"

Very inferior? :lol:

Someone should counter this by claiming that they feel much safer because of the statue...it’s their safe space. Then what?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

They also feel inferior to a statue. 

They should feel inferior.

Hardy people who braved and survived through the wilderness and built something wonderful out of nothing, using their muscles, knowledge, ingenuity, and the sweat of their brow accomplished more in their lives than the whole collection of these worthless dipsh*ts will ever accomplish in their combined lifetimes of crying and moaning and peeing their pants at statues.

This school they built for their progeny is a testament to what they accomplished, you sh*t-filled cupcakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lod001 said:

I do blame social media giving retards a platform to spread retardation quickly.

Bingo.  And unfortunately it appears that this whiney minority speaks for everyone. But most useful people are too busy doing useful sh!t and are too busy to be offended by everything.

I wonder if ESPN will make sure no Asians work on Oregon Ducks football broadcasts?  That's what they did out of respect the last time people got their panties in a bunch over scary statues. 

• Haha 2

When you get a degree in diversity studies, you need to turn that into a career.  That career path is usually going to involve a neverending hunt for ways society is not diverse enough.  After all, the moment you say "society is now sufficiently diverse" your degree instantly becomes worthless and you lose your job.  So you can NEVER stop finding NEW ways to increase diversity.  But to increase diversity, you also need to work very hard to make sure people are offended at the status quo. 

So there is no endgame in this.  This will never stop.  They could get offended at George Washington, Ben Franklin, and all of the founding fathers and replace them as role models with people deemed to be more "diverse" and it STILL would not be enough.  They would have to keep pushing. Forever.  Or the money stops coming in.

Follow the money.  They got a degree in diversity studies to make money.  Now they need to use it to make money.

If you want this to stop, you kill it at the source and get rid of degree programs in diversity studies and the like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

They should feel inferior.

Hardy people who braved and survived through the wilderness and built something wonderful out of nothing, using their muscles, knowledge, ingenuity, and the sweat of their brow accomplished more in their lives than the whole collection of these worthless dipsh*ts will ever accomplish in their combined lifetimes of crying and moaning and peeing their pants at statues.

This school they built for their progeny is a testament to what they accomplished, you sh*t-filled cupcakes. 

What beer do you drink and where do I send it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

What beer do you drink and where do I send it. 

:cheers: Thanks for the sentiment, no need to send anything.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Statues and Monuments continue their reign of terror, and we just sit by and do nothing. :mad:

So do the statues. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

When do you think Mt. Rushmore will come down?

My guess is in about 10 years they take the dynamite to it so they can do one big Trump face. Mount Trumpmore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1