I have to work at 645 manyana so a couple more and I'm there as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I seem to have a hole in my glass of captain and coke. :cheers:

does your leg get tired of posing like that

"Captain"

You aged Makers 46 for 45 days?

38 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

But why though? It's already aged. Why not take some white lightning and age that? You can buy it in stores.

Just now, Cdub100 said:

But why though? It's already aged. Why not take some white lightning and age that? You can buy it in stores.

because the more bourbon ages the better it gets

Its why 16, 20, 23 and 25 year old bourbons cost 1500 plus

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

because the more bourbon ages the better it gets

Its why 16, 20, 23 and 25 year old bourbons cost 1500 plus

Seems like you're taking about pappy and IMHO that's marketing that drives the price.

If you like it more power to you. I've just never heard of reaging a bourbon.  :cheers:

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Seems like you're taking about pappy and IMHO that's marketing that drives the price.

If you like it more power to you. I've just never heard of reaging a bourbon.  :cheers:

Its not re-aging, its just further aging a bourbon that was bottled at a certain age, its not new and its well documented as a plus

Its not marketing that drives pappy or any other BTAC, its demand

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You should barel up a good batch and let it sit for years. Drink it with a son on his graduation/wedding/divorce kinda thing. 

A home barrel is just a smaller version of a rack house barrel so 2 to 3 days is equal to a year in the rack. 60 days is basically 20 years so that is all you really want to age

Dark booze doesn't go good with me. Titos and zing zang is going down good though. 

10 20 year old girls and a single homo  having a birthday party in my pool now. I'm relegated to the garage after feeding them bbq :wall:

12 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I so want to do this, thanks for the idea.  :cheers:

those are very good barrels

What differences are you noticing in your aging?  Can this be done for other aged liquor (tequila, rum, etc)?

18 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

those are very good barrels

Do you use any of the "essence flavors?"

24 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

What differences are you noticing in your aging?  Can this be done for other aged liquor (tequila, rum, etc)?

yes any liquor

Much more oak flavor and much smoother

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Nope, but I do put the barrels outside in the garage for a day or 2 every 15 days to mimic summer/winter

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

yes any liquor

Much more oak flavor and much smoother

any other flavors stand out beyond oak, or from the oak (ie: vanilla, spice, etc)?

Just now, Bier Meister said:

any other flavors stand out beyond oak,r from the oak (ie: vanilla, spice, etc)?

the flavors of the bourbon are amped a bit, but not over powering, main difference is its a much smoother drink with little to no burn.

There are youtube vids on the other liquors and how they turned out, rum seems to be a good choice, dark rum

• Like 1

yeah...i have several nice aged rums and anejos.  Curious how this would impact them....

good food for thought. danke.

I wouldn't age bourbon that's already been aged. That seems weird and pointless, but to each their own. I've aged a few things Buffalo Trace white dog, home made moonshine, and Jim Beam clear whiskey.

I used something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Charred-American-Aging-Barrel/dp/B074G2ZJ6X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=barrel+whiskey+aging&qid=1561234209&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Be sure to follow the instructions. You're going to want to fill it with water first. That will expand the wood. Once the barrel stops leaking dump the water and using a funnel fill the barrel up with your favorite clear whiskey. I've let it sit for 30-90 days. Depending on how long you let sit determines how much you'll have left due to evaporation and the wood soaking it up I've seen 3 bottles turn into 1.

It's fun, but IMHO not worth it All you're doing is filling a barrel and letting it sit out of sight. You're better off just buying the spirts you like

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I wouldn't age bourbon that's already been aged. That seems weird and pointless, but to each their own. I've aged a few things Buffalo Trace white dog, home made moonshine, and Jim Beam clear whiskey.

I used something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Charred-American-Aging-Barrel/dp/B074G2ZJ6X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=barrel+whiskey+aging&qid=1561234209&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Be sure to follow the instructions. You're going to want to fill it with water first. That will expand the wood. Once the barrel stops leaking dump the water and using a funnel fill the barrel up with your favorite clear whiskey. I've let it sit for 30-90 days. Depending on how long you let sit determines how much you'll have left due to evaporation and the wood soaking it up I've seen 3 bottles turn into 1.

It's fun, but IMHO not worth it All you're doing is filling a barrel and letting it sit out of sight. You're better off just buying the spirts you like

LOL, all bourbon is aged, by law, what makes a bourbon better is more years in the barrel, that's what I'm doing.  For instance I'm turning a Eagle Rare 10 into ER 17, a much better bourbon than the 10.

Yes, Ive had my barrels for several years now but thanks.

16 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

A home barrel is just a smaller version of a rack house barrel so 2 to 3 days is equal to a year in the rack. 60 days is basically 20 years so that is all you really want to age

I know nothing about this, but this can’t possibly be true, can it? If it was, why the hell would anyone age anything for 20 years? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, frank said:

I know nothing about this, but this can’t possibly be true, can it? If it was, why the hell would anyone age anything for 20 years? :dunno:

I was thinking it might be a surface area to volume ratio kinda thing.  For high volume production it might not be efficient to have such small casks.  That being said, I have the same basic question.  :cheers:

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I was thinking it might be a surface area to volume ratio kinda thing.  For high volume production it might not be efficient to have such small casks.  That being said, I have the same basic question.  :cheers:

I assumed that might be a consideration, but I figured that would be outweighed by the time. 

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Not to go all tinfoil hat... but it wouldn’t surprise me if they do it this way, and then say it’s been sitting for 20 years.

8 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Not to go all tinfoil hat... but it wouldn’t surprise me if they do it this way, and then say it’s been sitting for 20 years.

I'm all in on this; I want to experiment.  I showed this to my wife and have my birfday coming up in late July.  I've got multiple friends who are bourbon and scotch fans, I plan to throw a party 60-ish days after I age something.  Keep some of the original and compare to the cask stuff.  :cheers:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm all in on this; I want to experiment.  I showed this to my wife and have my birfday coming up in late July.  I've got multiple friends who are bourbon and scotch fans, I plan to throw a party 60-ish days after I age something.  Keep some of the original and compare to the cask stuff.  :cheers:

Please report back here with the results. Now, I’m curious...

Would be great if I could do something like this with wine. Sadly, I’m not a huge fan of oak flavor.

1 hour ago, frank said:

high dollar Scotch, Bourbon, Rum etc. are all aged 17 plus years

Pappy is aged as much as 25 years

15 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Please report back here with the results. Now, I’m curious...

Would be great if I could do something like this with wine. Sadly, I’m not a huge fan of oak flavor.

What do you gravitate towards?

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

What do you gravitate towards?

Not a huge fan of anything with too much oak, or floral. Too sweet is also not my thing. Everything else is game.

17 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

high dollar Scotch, Bourbon, Rum etc. are all aged 17 plus years

Pappy is aged as much as 25 years

My question is why would you age something 20 years if you can get the same results in two months? 

13 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Not a huge fan of anything with too much oak, or floral. Too sweet is also not my thing. Everything else is game.

Have you tried many burgundian chards?

aged french barrels give off very different elements than new American barrels 

37 minutes ago, frank said:

My question is why would you age something 20 years if you can get the same results in two months? 

quality is not as good as real time and I'm doing it 2 liters at a time, distilleries are doing it 100 of gallons at a time