Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Yesterday - Movie

Anybody seen previews? I can see it doing well. I think people are just sick to death of the green screen and all the other bull crap. This looks like a slumdog type winner. Nothing fancy, not a Blockbuster. Sort of comes out of the blue.   And let's be fair, it's going to do for Beatles songs what Walk the line did for Johnny Cash.

• Like 1

What's the premise? I actually liked that Beatles movie they made a while back. Across the universe. Wasn't about them, just featured the music and made a story.

Will see the Beatles cirque de soleil in Vegas this summer. That will be cool. 

• Like 1

Indian type dude wakes up and realizes no one has ever heard of the Beatles.  Dude becomes a star.

I think.

Hollywood is trying so hard to crack the Bollywood multibillion-dollar market.

17 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Indian type dude wakes up and realizes no one has ever heard of the Beatles.  Dude becomes a star.

I think.

Hollywood is trying so hard to crack the Bollywood multibillion-dollar market.

Based on this, no, I won’t see it.

There is also an Indian themed, albeit about an Indian kid in England, themed movie about Springsteen. "Blinded by the Light". Wiffle is right, Hollywood wants some of that Bollywood dough for themselves. 

If you don't like the idea that this is an Indian guy to tap into that market just wait until 2 years from now when Marvel has a trans boy that transitions into a woman that now loves women....

Oh and openly hates Trump.

Love the premise and the previews look good. I’m questioning wether the Beatles music would be as big a hit today as it was in the 60s though. Yes it’s timeless and some of the finest songwriting of all time but would that even be appreciated now?

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

Love the premise and the previews look good. I’m questioning wether the Beatles music would be as big a hit today as it was in the 60s though. Yes it’s timeless and some of the finest songwriting of all time but would that even be appreciated now?

Nope. Too many lyrics and the lyrics aren't about money.  

8 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

Nope. Too many lyrics and the lyrics aren't about money.  

Money (That's What I Want) and Taxman would be hits if Kanye produced and they featured Cardi B.

4 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Money (That's What I Want) and Taxman would be hits if Kanye produced and it featured Lil Wayne.

And Harrison's Got My Mind Set on You because as Weird Al pointed out, This song is only six words long. 

17 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Anybody seen previews? I can see it doing well. I think people are just sick to death of the green screen and all the other bull crap. This looks like a slumdog type winner. Nothing fancy, not a Blockbuster. Sort of comes out of the blue.   And let's be fair, it's going to do for Beatles songs what Walk the line did for Johnny Cash.

When my sons saw the commercial for this movie, they immediately turned to me and said, “we have to see that”

They like all types of pop and country music so I was pleased to see them show such an interest in Beatles songs.  

I'd like to see it

On 6/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, tanatastic said:

"They play their own instruments? What the f*ck is an instrument?" 

Saw it with the family last Sunday.

Not exactly a cinematic masterpiece, but we all enjoyed it.  

It’s a light-hearted movie that explores an interesting idea, although not too deeply.  

My sons have spent the last few days listening to Beatles music and watching Beatles documentaries   

Thumbs up  

• Thanks 1

Saw it with the wife as well.  Definitely a cool idea.  I would have chosen some different songs in certain situations however.

Got a little too romanc-y in the second half.  

Ed Sheeran really?  THATS the best you can do?   Please.  

But watchable for sure. The lead guy whatever his name is does a very good job.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

What's the premise? I actually liked that Beatles movie they made a while back. Across the universe. Wasn't about them, just featured the music and made a story.

Will see the Beatles cirque de soleil in Vegas this summer. That will be cool. 

Across the Universe is two thumbs way up IMO.

Also I saw LOVE in Vegas a few years back,get ready as it's a sight and sound explosion,you're going to LOVE it!

Fun movie...just got out.  Wife enjoyed it...music was excellent.  Just a good fun movie!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw it. Liked it. Pretty much exactly what I expected. 

could have done better domestically with the lead being a teenage boy (insert latest heartthrob or new discovery.)

Sort of  a John Hughes angle. Combined with almost famous.

Lots of ways to take it, 

But it was just sweet and simple and easy and didn't involve green screens and ridiculous backstories and spin-offs and time travel Etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Saw it. Liked it. Pretty much exactly what I expected. 

could have done better domestically with the lead being a teenage boy (insert latest heartthrob or new discovery.)

Sort of  a John Hughes angle. Combined with almost famous.

Lots of ways to take it, 

But it was just sweet and simple and easy and didn't involve green screens and ridiculous backstories and spin-offs and time travel Etc.

It was sweet? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It was sweet? 

Yeah...my wife liked it...love story included.

They missed a huge opportunity in the film to play Baby you can drive my car.

Just sayin