rwren

Average Auction Value Question

We are doing our first auction draft this season. We also have keepers. A team can keep 3 but will have a value assigned to each that counts against their auction budget of $200.00. The auction is new for us and I’m a little unsure about auction values. There are obviously many websites that offer AAV lists/calculators, and I’m wondering if it is a bad idea to provide an official AAV list to our league members for the purpose of determining the value of their keepers pre-draft. In other words, would this be akin to providing draft cheat sheets to everyone in a standard serpentine selection draft? Will it screw up our auction? Is it better to let everyone fend for themselves like they would in a normal draft?

Unless you draft with those who don't have access to internet, phones, radio, printed materials, etc., I think it is safe to let people fend for themselves. But do make sure people know the rules. That often times helps. 

And congrats on moving to auction. Best fantasy football move a league can make. 

Being this is your league's first auction, and assuming many in your league aren't familiar with the process, it may help things run more smoothly if you provide auction values but I would tend to lean toward letting each owner find their own way as sderk suggested. 

When is your auction scheduled? I'll try and make sure we get some auction values based on my projections/rankings posted at the site beforehand.

I transitioned a keeper once from snake to auction. The first year we just reset keepers. 

If your league is set on retaining keepers and assigning them a preset value, then you at least need to pick a sites rankings to go off of. 

Getting the values this year is going to knock out a lot of the value though. The point of a keeper is usually to get players at a discount from this year's cost. That value will be mostly wiped out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I transitioned a keeper once from snake to auction. The first year we just reset keepers. 

If your league is set on retaining keepers and assigning them a preset value, then you at least need to pick a sites rankings to go off of. 

Getting the values this year is going to knock out a lot of the value though. The point of a keeper is usually to get players at a discount from this year's cost. That value will be mostly wiped out

Yes, we are going to give a discount for keepers. Something like 10%. 

And your suggestion about going off a site ranking is what I'm leaning towards.  But if I do that, then it's like I'm giving everyone a cheat sheet. 

Having said that, how much does it matter because once players are bid on in real time, then the values start changing for other players. At least that's my understanding. So basically, everyone will know the starting point because of the AAV list provided to everyone, but to then everyone fends for themselves anyway once the auction gets going. Does this make sense or am I missing something here. 

8 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Being this is your league's first auction, and assuming many in your league aren't familiar with the process, it may help things run more smoothly if you provide auction values but I would tend to lean toward letting each owner find their own way as sderk suggested. 

When is your auction scheduled? I'll try and make sure we get some auction values based on my projections/rankings posted at the site beforehand.

Sept 1st. 

You print out two lists. One is a good list with the players you like and the amount you want to spend. The second list you print off is the crap ESPN rankings and values. You hand that one out to everyone else in the league. 

I think it would be smart to provide some general guidance about values non-specific to individual players.

Distribute a couple of good articles on auction planning - prep non-specific to players. 

Make sure everybody knows in general players worthy 1st round picks go for a range of 25-30% of a teams budget,  2nd round picks 15-25%, etc, etc.

You have to have a single site's rankings in order for this to go smoothly. Can't just say Welllll this is what I think their values should be. Or I grabbed them off a site, but I wont tell you which site, just trust me. 

Take the values off of some basic site like ESPN. If they want to use ESPN as a cheat sheet then so be it, but it's similar to adp. One can go off of adp rankings all they want, it doesn't mean player X will make it back to them in a snake draft. 

On 6/27/2019 at 3:33 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

One option would be to pick one site to use for values (for consistency), then assign the keepers the auction value from the year they were drafted. Many sites keep previous years auction values archived.

This allows for owners to realize the value in each keeper.

Not sure how you would assign value for free agents acquired in previous seasons.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Intense Observer said:

One option would be to pick one site to use for values (for consistency), then assign the keepers the auction value from the year they were drafted. Many sites keep previous years auction values archived.

This allows for owners to realize the value in each keeper.

Not sure how you would assign value for free agents acquired in previous seasons.

I'm not sure either. It's tought to do, but it can be done. It just needs to be done with consistency

My transition from snake to auction in my keeper league will always be stuff of legend in my mind. 

I had drafted a rookie by the name of David Johnson in the second to last round in my keeper league. He won me a championship, but that insane value was going to evaporate in the following year, because I convinced my league to switch to auction.

I researched the hell out of auction drafting and auction leagues, so that gave me a leg up. After this draft, I had O'Dell, DJ, and AJ Green. Grab the studs!