Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Geeks who're politically Centrist

What do you think makes you Centrist? Besides just being seemingly center of the aisle, what is it worldview and personality wise that lands you there (in a few sentences). What do you think is the biggest commonality amongst Centrists? What are the top 3 most important issues to you?

I like to keep the clowns to the left of me and the jokers to the right.

1. Fiscal responsibility

2. Fishing and hunting rights

3. Energy and Industry

• Like 1

I used to be centrist. Hell even left of center. But the Democrats have gone bat sh1t insane so they pushed me so far right I think Reagan is a loony liberal.

I support gay marriage and abortion. I don't think churches should have to marry gays, bakers shouldn't have to bake gay cakes, and women should fund their own abortions.

I don't believe in man made global warming. I do believe in recycling and oppose polluting.

I oppose illegal immigration, but I support legal immigration.

I consider myself a Libertarian.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I used to be centrist. Hell even left of center. But the Democrats have gone bat sh1t insane so they pushed me so far right I think Reagan is a loony liberal.

I was left-of-center/middle up until about 10-12 years ago.  I even voted for GW Bush in 2000. The WMD/war stuff combined with great recession moved me farther left just in time for Obama's first term.  The hatred and resentment towards him moved me even farther left.  My Trump hatred hasn't moved me any further left, but my disbelief at the acceptance and refusal to speak out against him, plus the barely-recognizable GOP these days, assures that I will be staying firmly where I'm at.  There are times when the left gets so crazy-left that it makes me want to point out I'm nowhere near in-line with the whackos of the party.  

11 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I support gay marriage and abortion. I don't think churches should have to marry gays, bakers shouldn't have to bake gay cakes, and women should fund their own abortions.

I don't believe in man made global warming. I do believe in recycling and oppose polluting.

I actually share every one of your thoughts with the exception of global warming. And bakers. I even agree with your thoughts about women funding their own abortions, with the exception of those in financial hardship.

I agree with different things on each side, I have things I don’t like about each side, I don’t blindly vote For a candidate because they are part of a certain party, I always examine the individual running. 

That being said, Dems just have been horrible lately with zero candidates I like 

I was a centrist when I started posting here. if I had to put myself into a category it would be libertarian now. I hate both sides equally. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

I was a centrist when I started posting here. if I had to put myself into a category it would be libertarian now. I hate both sides equally. 

Why more specifically libertarian now?

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

And both hate you, the price of being a Libertarian.  

Government fiscal responsibility would be the biggest centrist issue I would say.  Both sides suck at it.  

Jobs would be #2, IMO.  

46 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I agree with most of this.  The exception is I am open to MMGW, I just don't believe the cult wants to actually solve it. 

No issues are important to me, none of them affect me in the real world. I have my bills to pay and that’s it. Barney the dinosaur could be president and it wouldn’t matter to me. It’s all just an oil/land/drug racket. What makes me centrist is seeing merit to things both sides can offer and not having blind allegiance to a party. I want drama and intrigue, the real world is boring.

• Thanks 1

I care enough to vote...........but not enuff to argue about it day and night........ Every damn day and night.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I like to keep the clowns to the left of me and the jokers to the right.

1. Fiscal responsibility

2. Fishing and hunting rights

3. Energy and Industry

I'll add

4. States Rights

5. Gay Marriage

6.  Restrict Abortions  - Not  eliminate them completely

I have some areas that I lean left (let the gays marry, let woman have abortions, affordable healthcare) and some areas that I lean right (gun's don't need to be overly restricted, get the deadbeats off welfare, restrict immigration).  I think that what makes me more centrist is that many of these areas have groups that go too far one way on the issue. 

For example, with abortions, I think that the righties go too far in wanting to restrict them to before there is a "fetal heartbeat" or ignore cases of incest, rape or an unviable fetus.  I think that the lefties are too far left in that they want to have unfettered access to abortions including late term "convenience" abortions and with kids who don't have parental consent.  

Most issues are not black and white.  I see myself as being in the middle on many of these issues where both sides are somewhat unreasonable.  

22 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Alot of non-centrists posting their view in this thread.

You want zero replies?  Today's political landscape doesn't really allow for a centrist

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

I was left-of-center/middle up until about 10-12 years ago.  I even voted for GW Bush in 2000. The WMD/war stuff combined with great recession moved me farther left just in time for Obama's first term.  The hatred and resentment towards him moved me even farther left.  My Trump hatred hasn't moved me any further left, but my disbelief at the acceptance and refusal to speak out against him, plus the barely-recognizable GOP these days, assures that I will be staying firmly where I'm at.  There are times when the left gets so crazy-left that it makes me want to point out I'm nowhere near in-line with the whackos of the party.  

When my choice is a free-for-all at the boarder or Men using woman’s bathrooms, or not,  my hand is forced.  You seem to have liked the hand you were dealt, I don’t.

9 minutes ago, The Observer said:

You want zero replies?  Today's political landscape doesn't really allow for a centrist

The climate is perfect for a centrist, do not let the polarizing media fool you.

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

When my choice is a free-for-all at the boarder or Men using woman’s bathrooms, or not,  my hand is forced.  You seem to have liked the hand you were dealt, I don’t.

I was perfectly happy with the lowest rate of immigration in 50 years that we had during Obama's last term.  The border free-for-all is 100% Trump's fault. Now he's trying to figure out how to fix the disaster he created.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

The climate is perfect for a centrist, do not let the polarizing media room you.

* roon

I agree.  I think that a centrist could be good at the polls in the General Election.  The problem is that they would have a hard time winning their respective primary.  

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

* roon

I agree.  I think that a centrist could be good at the polls in the General Election.  The problem is that they would have a hard time winning their respective primary.  

Trump is a centrist.

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

* roon

Autocorrect on the phone :mad:

i probably need to get back to work anyways. 

2 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

Me except while I am against abortion I believe middle ground needs to be there and that should be a reasonable time frame. 20 weeks is as long as I could feasibly agree to but I think first trimester personally is where I would argue

17 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I was perfectly happy with the lowest rate of immigration in 50 years that we had during Obama's last term.  The border free-for-all is 100% Trump's fault. Now he's trying to figure out how to fix the disaster he created.

Why do you keep spouting that  nonsense about Obama and immigration.  Already tore it down last time and you didn’t t even respond yet here you are trying to do it again

2 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

I'm with you on the top 3.  I consider myself a conservative because when push comes to shove, I will always chose logic over emotion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

He is. His base might not be, but he is one of the more centered presidents we’ve had in decades. Briefly going over this might do you some good:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump

He might be the only one who was pro-choice for 68 years and then became pro-life the day before coming down the escalator, also.

I don't care what his 'policies' are. He is so over-the-top racist and bigoted, that he could never be labeled a centrist. He's nearly Arthur Jones-level radical right.

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Why do you keep spouting the hat nonsense about Obama and immigration.  Already tore it down last time and you didn’t t even respond yet here you are trying to do it again

You're denying that there's a huge immigration surge since 'Mr Only I Can Fix It' took office?

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

I don’t care what the facts say. I already have my opinion formed and that’s all that matters.

Okay then. 

24 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The climate is perfect for a centrist, do not let the polarizing media fool you.

The media is built on fools like him. 

Trump won on centrism.  The Republicans didn't even want him.  But now you see what a centrist is up against.  A politician without a safe harbor.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

It's hard for me to accept other opinions of the Donald while his ball sack is in my mouth.

Okay then.

3 hours ago, naomi said:

What are the top 3 most important issues to you?

1. Allow internet poker (which is free $ so it fits with my next statement). Give me the same free $ that welfare losers get and fix SS so that is solvent for my entire lifetime. I'm paying a shitton of $ into it and I want it back.

2. Tell the crybaby lefties 'shut up, fock off' & 'no' on every protest they try.

3. Kill all hardcore criminals and worthless sub humans. Encourage criminals in prison to kill each other. Make prisons so scary that just the thought of landing in one would make you your pants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Observer said:

You're denying that there's a huge immigration surge since 'Mr Only I Can Fix It' took office?

Nope there isn’t it’s same as it has been. Obama’s immigration numbers are skewed because he’s the only president to count people turned away at the border as deportation 

I don’t care enough to even vote, if I don’t live in one of the swing states, it really doesn’t matter

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

I'm sorry, but I see zero logic in this.  The fault completely lies with the liberal agenda of welfare, rights, and total access to free education (even at the college level), for all who come here illegally.

• Like 1