Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Forged in Fire...

Damned if I don't want to start slowly learning how to make my own knives now.

There's even a couple Bladesmiths in the area doing "Intro" classes.

I have 5 1/2 years until retirement...  I want something to keep me busy.  I have a bit of an artistic flare and think if I took my time I could figure it out.

I have zero inclination that I would be foraging a blade in 3 hours any year soon.

Wait till retirement. The knowledge on knife making forums is insane. You'll stay plenty busy 

That looks cool.

I would love to learn a craft. Particularly woodworking I think. Like making furniture and such. I remember as a kid we made some shelves and a deck and such. It is just so satisfying to look at something and be like "yeah, I built that ."

Learning the art of making knives would be a fantastic feeling and awesome skill. 

I am  a real blade guy. Always have a multi-tool in the glove box of my cars and carry a small pocket knife. I have numerous sharpening stones (one with groves for fish hooks) and a sharpening kit that does specific edges, by degrees, for different purposes.

6 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That looks cool.

I would love to learn a craft. Particularly woodworking I think. Like making furniture and such. I remember as a kid we made some shelves and a deck and such. It is just so satisfying to look at something and be like "yeah, I built that ."

I have felt the same about woodworking. I tend to take shortcuts with DIY projects and lack attention to detail, so I probably wouldnt be a good candidate to take it up as a hobby though. I also fear I would cut off a finger or hand.

8 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I have felt the same about woodworking. I tend to take shortcuts with DIY projects and lack attention to detail, so I probably wouldnt be a good candidate to take it up as a hobby though. I also fear I would cut off a finger or hand.

Yeah. I'd fear ending up stumpy myself. 

Right after it is a show called the butcher.  All about meatcraft.  Awesome show...pits butchers against each other...elk...hog...etc...i have learned a ton.

11 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Yep. I call my projects "custom" when my wife asks why sh!t isn't straight with sanded beveled edges :banana:

• Haha 2

Looking at the differences... looks to be much much easier to start out with bar stock and shape your knife.  A Knife Maker vs. Bladesmith...

http://imgur.com/a/RYcwNck

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Precision-Ground-Standard-Tolerance/dp/B00CZDPAI2

Plus... much much less hot.  I see those fockers almost passing out.  I got a heat cat injury in basic police in New Mexico back in the 90's.  Since then me and heat are no bueno.  I overheat easily.  Broke my fockin thermometer.

Currently watching the most recent season added to Netflix. It seems like there are a lot more weapon failures this go round than in in previous seasons. 

Got home from the bar last night and decided to fire up my forge in the garage. Mashed out a couple of throwing knives using 1095 demacus. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Got home from the bar last night and decided to fire up my forge in the garage. Mashed out a couple of throwing knives using 1095 demacus. :thumbsup:

How many folds?

did they bring back the old host yet? the guy who replaced him is a wet rag

2 hours ago, craftsman said:

How many folds?

That was a lame joke by me. I drink too much to be messing around with hot metal. If I was going to do it, I would do twisted demascus, acid dipped. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

did they bring back the old host yet? the guy who replaced him is a wet rag

I am starting season 8 and it’s the first with the new guy. I agree, he’s pretty terrible. 

Can I give you a different twist? I mean, do what whatever the hell you want. But we got a guy that services multiple restaurants in the area. Retired.  His whole gig? Sharpening knives. He makes good money doing it. And it is just as much a craft as trying to forge the next dragon slayer. But a shitload more useful.

True story. A few months ago he and I were just shooting the breeze. He gathered up all the knives. I was like, you know one of those is an oyster shucker. He just smiled. I said, we don't have any shellfish within 20 miles of this joint. He just smiled. " Hey, I get paid by the knife. And these boneheads think it's a paring knife."

Had to buy him a beer for that one. 😁