Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Speaking of after retirement jobs... Dog Kennel?

Any dog owner/lover will tell you... hollleeee frick it's not cheap to board your dog.  In our area for a decent kennel we're looking at $30-50 a night per dog.

How hard would it be to start small... get a house with a couple acres.  Either it already has a shop you can convert or you build small initially... say 10 runs with outdoor area etc.  Just you and the family working it as a business.     

Ours are almost always full... so I'm betting depending on where you are... $$$.  Even if you overbuild at first as it wouldn't be that much.. 20-30 runs... and you fill 10 of them a night...  $300 a day...$9k a month.

People bring their own food... we sell treats if you want one daily for your dog.  Administration of medicine is extra.  If you want daily "playtime" it's extra.

Shoot... there are even "suites" that have real human beds to sleep on.. tv's.. and camer's so you can see/talk to Fido whenever you desire..... for a price $ 😬 $.

Doggie daycare options... 

It seems to be danged near printing money!

Yes.. at first you get no holidays... weekends are rough.  But... you hire a high school or college kid or two.  Hell.. you get big enough...  you hire a manager....

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Any dog owner/lover will tell you... hollleeee frick it's not cheap to board your dog.  In our area for a decent kennel we're looking at $30-50 a night per dog.

How hard would it be to start small... get a house with a couple acres.  Either it already has a shop you can convert or you build small initially... say 10 runs with outdoor area etc.  Just you and the family working it as a business.     

Ours are almost always full... so I'm betting depending on where you are... $$$.  Even if you overbuild at first as it wouldn't be that much.. 20-30 runs... and you fill 10 of them a night...  $300 a day...$9k a month.

People bring their own food... we sell treats if you want one daily for your dog.  Administration of medicine is extra.  If you want daily "playtime" it's extra.

Shoot... there are even "suites" that have real human beds to sleep on.. tv's.. and camer's so you can see/talk to Fido whenever you desire..... for a price $ 😬 $.

Yes.. at first you get no holidays... weekends are rough.  But... you hire a high school or college kid or two.  Hell.. you get big enough...  you hire a manager....

I wonder about you sometimes.  I wish you luck.

20 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I wonder about you sometimes.  I wish you luck.

Meh.... I'm an idea guy.  

34 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Meh.... I'm an idea guy.  

That’s cool.  Of all things to worry about it’s no holidays and weekends for you.  I’d be worried about a variance for dog kennel, cost to insure a kennel along with the extreme liability .  Maybe I’m just different but lack of free time wouldn’t be my first worry when opening a brand new business.

• Thanks 1

I always was thinking about a miniature golf place when I was younger, but with smart phones and such now, I doubt this would be a good idea any more...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

I always was thinking about a miniature golf place when I was younger, but with smart phones and such now, I doubt this would be a good idea any more...

You want to rake it in?  Build one of those with batting cages near a ball park that hosts tournaments (little league and such).  During the year, you'll get by, but during the spring and tournaments, you'll make bank.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You want to rake it in?  Build one of those with batting cages near a ball park that hosts tournaments (little league and such).  During the year, you'll get by, but during the spring and tournaments, you'll make bank.

Yeah I guess that would have to be added, something like batting cages and such, or even a driving range not near a "Top Golf"...

6 minutes ago, posty said:

Yeah I guess that would have to be added, something like batting cages and such, or even a driving range not near a "Top Golf"...

Yes.  If you can manage to put all of that in a location, you're looking at making money from virtually every demographic.

For the end there, it was costing $10,000 a month my mom's assisted living place. So then I found doggy day care only cost like 30 bucks a day.

• Haha 1

Best ? Car wash right next to a mega church. Holy crap, you would rake it in.

Plenty of parking. Valet their cars right back to the church lot. That would be spectacular.

13 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I think it's a good idea. Low cost high income. That's what you want in a business.

My friend payed to have the doggie cam. His dog had its own pool too. Freaking stupid. 

Have an all access pass for the local beastiality guys too. Lol

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Best ? Car wash right next to a mega church. Holy crap, you would rake it in.

Plenty of parking. Valet their cars right back to the church lot. That would be spectacular.

Mobile car wash at a golf course.  4 plus hours and they have money.

Way better than dog kennel, a storage facility. Buy a chunk of land. Doesn't even have to be that big. Build storage containers. Little to no maintenance for a long time. It makes money on its own.