Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Trump announces plan to lower prescription drug costs via executive order

The general idea behind Trump's new plan is that:

1. Foreign nations like France, Germany, the UK etc. have fought big pharma to lower drug costs by basically threatening to allow 3rd parties to ignore patent protections and make cheap drugs unless big pharma lowers the costs.  Big pharma caved and gave them lower costs.  So the US is stuck with higher costs.

2. Trump is threatening to sign an executive order that forces big pharma to charge US customers the same prices as they charge people in France, Germany, the UK, etc.  They will have the option to raise prices on europe or lower them for the US.

3. They expect the democrats to block and stall this EO in the courts, to which I'm sure Trump and the republicans will go on the offensive criticizing democrats for protecting big pharma.

4. They expect it might take 2 years to finally get movement on this. (which means you will need to re-elect Trump to make sure this happens).

5 minutes ago, riversco said:

How so?

Parody of the lefts reaction. Not that the candidates are going to comment. And big Pharma is going to be pissed. They paid good money to get some of them elected.  Especially Corey Booker. 

11 minutes ago, riversco said:

3. They expect the democrats to block and stall this EO in the courts, to which I'm sure Trump and the republicans will go on the offensive criticizing democrats for protecting big pharma.

The smart thing for Democrats to do would be to ignore it entirely.  Pharmaceutical companies will do the dirty work and challenge (and almost certainly win) in court. Democrats can't be seen praising Trump, nor can they side with big business.

On the surface, I like it.

8 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

hes joking

and now the left is against this cause no reason but Trump

winning again

Oh OK.

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Parody of the lefts reaction. Not that the candidates are going to comment. And big Pharma is going to be pissed. They paid good money to get some of them elected.  Especially Corey Booker. 

Big Pharma stock was down on friday. 

His point is true. America pays much higher prices for the drugs, basically offsetting the discount other countries get. I’m curious, if this was done, how it would affect R&D. 

The left is outraged over this.   Just like when the first hostages were released under Trumps presidency.  Libs were outraged, citing "Trump just did it to make himself look good"

If Trump cured cancer and diabetes, the libs would be pissed as hell. 

35 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

His point is true. America pays much higher prices for the drugs, basically offsetting the discount other countries get. I’m curious, if this was done, how it would affect R&D. 

I was in line at the CVS pharmacy a few months back for some painkillers for an injury. A guy a couple people in front of me was at one of the counters and he started yelling about the cost of his medication. The person helping him went to go get more help. The customer then turned around to all of us in line a said "They are trying to charge me $600 for a tube of cream for a cold sore!" He ended up leaving without anything.

My perscription was less than $5.

11 minutes ago, sderk said:

I was in line at the CVS pharmacy a few months back for some painkillers for an injury. A guy a couple people in front of me was at one of the counters and he started yelling about the cost of his medication. The person helping him went to go get more help. The customer then turned around to all of us in line a said "They are trying to charge me $600 for a tube of cream for a cold sore!" He ended up leaving without anything.

I once got written a prescription by my doctor. It was after a colonoscopy. Something for irritable bowel. When I went to pi k it up, they said my insurance wouldn't pay for it. It was $1400 a month. I said id rather just keep sh!tting constantly. 

13 minutes ago, sderk said:

Doubtful.  It was just less than $5 to you. 

58 minutes ago, Strike said:

Doubtful.  It was just less than $5 to you. 

Yeah. For sure.

Alex Michael Azar II (/ˈeɪzər/ born June 17, 1967) is an American politician, lawyer, pharmaceutical lobbyist and former drug company executive who is the current United States Secretary of Health and Human Services. Azar was nominated by President Donald Trumpon November 13, 2017 and confirmed by the United States Senate on January 24, 2018. 

From 2012 to 2017, Azar was Presidentof the U.S. division of Eli Lilly and Company, a major pharmaceutical drugcompany, and was a member of the board of directors of the Biotechnology Innovation Organization, a pharmaceutical lobby.

While Azar led Eli Lilly's largest affiliate, Lilly USA, the U.S. listprice of Humalog insulin more than doubled, from $123 per vial in Jan. 2012 to $255 per vial when he left the company in early 2017, according to data from Truven Health Analytics.

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

While Azar led Eli Lilly's largest affiliate, Lilly USA, the U.S. listprice of Humalog insulin more than doubled, from $123 per vial in Jan. 2012 to $255 per vial when he left the company in early 2017, according to data from Truven Health Analytics.

so what you are saying is 

THANKS OBAMA!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Goat 

Hardly arguable at this point.

Dude is doing what he thinks is best for America not what the party thinks is best for them. He should have 2020 locked up. 

I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than 20 bucks for a prescription.  :dunno:

It all sounds great but when govt intrudes on a marketplace, it normally doesn’t workout well.

Id be more inclined if they simply focused more on things like these smaller companies price gouging or any other nefarious practices.

I havent read anything about this, but on the surface I like it. Maybe this is what happens when a politician isnt owned by lobbyists.

I bet at the end of the day, lots of noise gets made. Pharma stocks take a dip. Friends quietly buy in via shell companies, then nothing ever happens, and prices rebound. That seems to be the way of the world. 

• Thanks 1

Everybody knows what their deductible is or what they pay out of pocket. Nobody really knows the actual cost of the medicine, dr visit, procedure, etc until the explanation of benefits is mailed to you weeks after. 

Could you imagine buying other items that way, like a car? I’d like to see costs up front with choices. 

That’s is why his approval numbers are higher than ever.  Funny, I heard our bored libs spewing fake news otherwise.

39 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Wake me when something happens.

I thought you were already "woke"  🤤

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than 20 bucks for a prescription.  :dunno:

It all sounds great but when govt intrudes on a marketplace, it normally doesn’t workout well.

Id be more inclined if they simply focused more on things like these smaller companies price gouging or any other nefarious practices.

See, this is where I figured most republicans would be.  I'll have to read up more on this before weighing in, but since when does "the right" support Government regulations on the marketplace?  How is this Capitalism?

1 hour ago, Saint Elistan said:

See, this is where I figured most republicans would be.  I'll have to read up more on this before weighing in, but since when does "the right" support Government regulations on the marketplace?  How is this Capitalism?

Trumps a centrist, you’re just leftist commie scum so everything looks right to you. 

1 hour ago, Saint Elistan said:

The healthcare market is one of the most regulated markets there is.  If we're not going to deregulate it to actually, you know, take advantage of a true free market, then I see nothing wrong with further regulation to our benefit.  In this case, the regulation Trump is proposing is to counter regulations other countries have instituted that directly impacts the cost of healthcare to Americans.  So I have no problem with it.

I like it in general but I’m doubtful it happens. I think the WH proposed something similar with Medicare last year that didn’t get off the ground. It’s a good idea though.

This seems like something big pharma would not allow to happen, I give him credit from trying to something decent, but congress is sitting out there, ready to kill anything positive for the people.

Sounds like a very free  market idea, I can understand why the board righties would be big supporters.   

Of course it's a good idea, in this instance, we are subsidizing other country's prices.

The free market responses are hilarious, you guys are cute..  Stupid but, cute.

16 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

There would  be ZERO negative repercussions from the gov't regulating pricing in a marketplace.   It's "stupid" to think otherwise.   Everything remains the same, the only thing that will change is price of the product.  Duh.

2 hours ago, Saint Elistan said:

There really is no "marketplace" in prescription medicine.  Drug companies are allowed to monopolize for a period of time.  Trump would actually be creating free market Capitalism by eliminating the monopoly.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

There really is no "marketplace" in prescription medicine.  Drug companies are allowed to monopolize for a period of time.  Trump would actually be creating Capitalism by eliminating the monopoly.

Wait.....a patent / copyright is now a monopoly?   You guys want to get rid of patents?

There would be no financial benefit to creating new.......anything.

Look, I get the premise, not saying the system is perfect and doesn't need more regulation......but y'all have to know that there are consequences.  

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Wait.....a patent / copyright is now a monopoly?   You guys want to get rid of patents?

There would be no financial benefit to creating new.......anything.

Look, I get the premise, not saying the system is perfect and doesn't need more regulation......but y'all have to know that there are consequences.  

The ACA (Government interference) has driven the cost of HC straight up by forcing everyone to get insurance.  The Drug makers have pushed the cost of drugs up in hopes that Insurance will pay, Insurance has balked.  Drug makers aren't budging.  Trump is trying to right another wrong of the ACA.

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

There really is no "marketplace" in prescription medicine.  Drug companies are allowed to monopolize for a period of time.  Trump would actually be creating free market Capitalism by eliminating the monopoly.

There's no marketplace when it comes to most health care.  If a doctor says "You need an MRI... it's going to cost $10,000." The answer is always  "how much is my co-pay... $50 ? Who cares if it costs $100,000... let's do it." 

And of course emergency room/dying patients will agree to any amount.

When it comes to medicine... "let the market decide" doesn't work.  It's unAmerican to hear, but the government should set some prices.