Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I'm building a house

...and when I say I'm building it. I'm paying a construction company to build it for me.

Anyone else ever build a house?

• Like 1

Yes. In Frederick, MD. It turned out well for us. They put in a Jacuzzi in the master bath and Kitchen cabinets that went to the celling, that we did not ask for, so we got them for free. 

I sent the home plans to my wife in Cali, and she picked the one she wanted. She pointed out that it was the biggest house, and was also the lowest price. Later, I did some business with the agent that sold us the home. I asked her about the size/cost issue. She said "We had a meeting about that, and we focked up."  The value of the place went up over $30K a year for eight years, and we sold. 

Yes in 1993. Still live there & don’t want to leave any time soon

Don't pay the builder to do anything you can do by yourself after its done, or if you know someone who does it for a living. I had a friend put in my furnace/AC for a lot less than the builder was charging 

I did about 10 years ago. Wife and I enjoyed the experience. We purchased a lot 6 months ago and plan to build again in approximately 2 years.

Make sure to work through all the details and stop by to check on progress regularly. Little things like number/location of outlets, light switches, and light fixtures don’t seem like a big deal, but it’s a lot cheaper to add/move before drywall, plaster and paint is on.

If you have an unfinished basement initially, I’d recommend stubbing it in for a future bathroom.

Good luck and try to enjoy it.

I decided we won't be skimping on stuff. I'm also going to have the builder do most of the stuff. Everyone I talked to said, If you say oh I'll do that later. You never do it latter.

Currently we are sitting at 112k in upgrades. That doesn't even include the pool.

I told them I don't want builder grade windows. I'm adding a finished loft for the kids and I'm 80% sure I'm going to have them finish the basement (Includes a full bathroom). Wife wanted the upgraded lighting packed which had the recess lighting.

Also good point on the outlets we are definitely adding more inside and outside ($80 per outlet added) and another water spout. 

Favorite feature I added is a shower stall, none of the tub sh!t...flat bottom floor and almost as wide as it is long. I can run around in that b!tch. Have never took a shower in the regular bath tub in this house, never will. 

Once I pay off my condo in full I’m going to rent it out and then start the process of getting a house built.

Congrats cdub. 

Just now, nospk said:

Favorite feature I added is a shower stall, none of the tub sh!t...flat bottom floor and almost as wide as it is long. I can run around in that b!tch. Have never took a shower in the regular bath tub in this house, never will. 

Standard is a shower stall

Upgrade is a stand alone shower stall and a soaker bathtub.

I'm  on the fence because sometimes I like to take an ice bath after long race. Wife always takes a shower and so do I 99.7% of the time. I guess I could always use the kids tub for an ice bath.

Definitely adding a bench in the shower.

I did most of the things later, but mostly due to a tighter budget at the time.Those were things that could wait a while as well. I will never forget selling my Kawasaki 440 Jet Ski to pay for the new sod. $700 🤬 

9 minutes ago, nospk said:

I did most of the things later, but mostly due to a tighter budget at the time.Those were things that could wait a while as well. I will never forget selling my Kawasaki 440 Jet Ski to pay for the new sod. $700 🤬 

That sucks. Speaking of sod what other hidden cost can you remember?

Sprinkler system

Fence

Blinds

Patio

There maybe more

30 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I decided we won't be skimping on stuff. 

Currently we are sitting at 112k in upgrades. That doesn't even include the pool.

Good call. The expense of doing extras gets spread over the length of the loan. I wish I had got the extended garage. I would have only paid for 8 years of it, and would of had it when we sold, as a feature. 

I didn't have a pool in MD, but had one in Texas. I will never have a pool again. We thought a pool would bring kids over for ours to meet. It didn't. Some years the pool got three uses total, and we have three kids. It is way cheaper to fly everybody to Tahiti for a week every few years or just go to some other focking pool. 

21 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

Good call. The expense of doing extras gets spread over the length of the loan. I wish I had got the extended garage. I would have only paid for 8 years of it, and would of had it when we sold, as a feature. 

I didn't have a pool in MD, but had one in Texas. I will never have a pool again. We thought a pool would bring kids over for ours to meet. It didn't. Some years the pool got three uses total, and we have three kids. It is way cheaper to fly everybody to Tahiti for a week every few years or just go to some other focking pool. 

My kids are part fish and I love swimming too. So a pool is a no brainer for my family.

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

...and when I say I'm building it. I'm paying a construction company to build it for me.

Anyone else ever build a house?

must be nice to have that done.......though I find dealing with contractors or people in general really annoying. :D 

34 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Sprinkler system

Fence

Blinds

Patio

There maybe more

Add stuff later. Built our first (and only) house back in 1995. Wife and I were not even married yet. Was scary. I worked at an architecture firm, so I received lots of good advice.

After we moved in, we added something new each year, like:

- Big back deck

- AC

- sprinklers

- brick walkway

Etc.

Have since put on an addition and remodeled the kitchen. Also put in a pool and ripped it out. 

21 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

My kids are part fish and I love swimming too. So a pool is a no brainer for my family.

Swim team kids here. Enjoy.

24 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Add stuff later. Built our first (and only) house back in 1995. Wife and I were not even married yet. Was scary. I worked at an architecture firm, so I received lots of good advice.

- Big back deck

- AC

- sprinklers

- brick walkway

Etc.

Have since put on an addition and remodeled the kitchen. Also put in a pool and ripped it out. 

What kind of pool? Why did you get rid of it? 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

- Big back deck

- AC

- sprinklers

- brick walkway

Etc.

All Of This. We have a lake to go to plus multiple pool options. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What kind of pool? Why did you get rid of it? 

Above ground with deck. 16x20. Once the kids get to be teenagers, it gets no use. I live in MA and the pools are open from Memorial Day to Labor Day at best. 

With that said, I got my money’s worth from it.

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Above ground with deck. 16x20. Once the kids get to be teenagers, it gets no use. I live in MA and the pools are open from Memorial Day to Labor Day at best. 

With that said, I got my money’s worth from it.

Got it. Make sense. 

Floor mounted outlets are great. So much flexibility without trying to snake cords.

Never Do a house without a separate water closet these days. Water closet is code for crapper. Especially if you're married.

Some people like heated towel racks, I much prefer a vertical fan where you can adjust speed and temperature. Best possible way to dry off.

Every big appliance that you see? Make sure that it can be removed and replaced easily. some builders tend to build the room around the appliance and then good luck replacing that sucker.

One of my fave features is old school; Laundry shoot. Swear it becomes instant family. 

What are you doing hot water wise?

16 hours ago, patweisers44 said:

Seems like a giant PITA to me, but good luck man.

This is the answer.

10 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Floor mounted outlets are great. So much flexibility without trying to snake cords.

Never Do a house without a separate water closet these days. Water closet is code for crapper. Especially if you're married.

Some people like heated towel racks, I much prefer a vertical fan where you can adjust speed and temperature. Best possible way to dry off.

Every big appliance that you see? Make sure that it can be removed and replaced easily. some builders tend to build the room around the appliance and then good luck replacing that sucker.

One of my fave features is old school; Laundry shoot. Swear it becomes instant family. 

What are you doing hot water wise?

I have an older house with a laundry chute.  In many areas, they are prohibited because of fire codes, so check with the building dept. and the fire dept. before you put one in. 

A fire that starts in the basement can easily spread to other levels through the chute.  

17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I have an older house with a laundry chute.  In many areas, they are prohibited because of fire codes, so check with the building dept. and the fire dept. before you put one in. 

A fire that starts in the basement can easily spread to other levels through the chute.  

Better off having the washer and dryer on the floor where your bedrooms are.  We moved ours upstairs and it saves a ton of time and effort (for my wife).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Sprinkler system

Fence

Blinds

Patio

There maybe more

When we built ours, one of the best things we did was have a sidewalk go from the driveway, to the side of the house where we had another mini-patio for trash cans behind our fence.  Most people keep their trashcans in their garages in our neighborhood and that's just nasty.

Congrats!

It's been 20 years ago for me but the best advice I've seen posted was by @Gladiators in stopping by regularly to check on progress and making sure things are going how you specified.

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Better off having the washer and dryer on the floor where your bedrooms are.  We moved ours upstairs and it saves a ton of time and effort (for my wife).

100% agree with this too.

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Ours is upstairs with the bedrooms.  Absolutely love it, I was skeptical when we bought the house.  I really like the fact that the dirty clothes and wash room stuff is never down stairs.

Have to put your Washer in a drain pan and make sure you have the proper precautionary stuff for leaks but, it's well worth it.

• Like 2

Pools are great, but they're also a lot of work to keep clean if you have any trees nearby.  If there's not a lot of stuff that can get in it, your life will be easier.

Are you shopping for your finish materials individually with an allowance from your builder, or are you selecting upgrades only from the products he shows you?  IMO, allowances are better because you can get exactly what you want, but not all builders will work this way.  

A drain in the garage floor is a good idea. Especially if you live in a cold weather state.  

A steam shower with strategically placed grab bars and benches are pretty cool if you like to sex it up in the shower.

No curb on the showers no glass doors are also must haves IMO.  

An outdoor shower is also great idea, especially if you have a pool or live near a beach.  

Spend a little time thinking about closet locations and organization.

Outdoor kitchens are the sh!t.

There are a million other things you can do to make your house more fun, functional and efficient.  You just have to prioritize and budget for them.  

I did, about 11 years ago.

The worst part was the organized criminal activity of the government in extorting cash.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

Ours is upstairs with the bedrooms.  Absolutely love it, I was skeptical when we bought the house.  I really like the fact that the dirty clothes and wash room stuff is never down stairs.

Have to put your Washer in a drain pan and make sure you have the proper precautionary stuff for leaks but, it's well worth it.

This works fine when all BR's are on the same floor.  Our master BR is on the main floor, three BR's are upstairs and the laundry room is in the basement.  The Chute helps my wife a lot, but I don't love having due to the fire risk.  

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

I did, about 11 years ago.

The worst part was the organized criminal activity of the government in extorting cash.

I was finishing a basement at my last house... Got my permit, and started working.  Had to pay for an inspection every time the dude came out during the process.  After hanging drywall he came out and inspected and pointed out to one board that had 2 less screws than it should.  I said I'd toss those in right now.  NOPE.  Marked fail, call back and schedule (and pay for) an appointment (3 weeks later).  Focking racket.

• Confused 1

Not sure if these are applicable to you:

- We put in a passive radon system.  Essentially, it is crushed rock around PVC pipe with holes that runs under my foundation with a vent that goes through the foundation and up through to the roof.  If we have a radon problem, we can connect an air pump to pull the air/gasses/radon from under the foundation and vent outside.  Have never used it, but I have also never tested for radon.  It cost me $250 at the time to do it and I know neighbors who have spent thousands on multiple occasions to deal with radon.

- If you have an attic, have them put down plywood over the rafters so that you can store stuff.  It is much easier to do when they are building because you can put full sheets up there.  I have seen other people cutting up plywood so that it can fit through the pull down stairs after the house has been built.  Big pain.

30 minutes ago, Kanil said:

I was finishing a basement at my last house... Got my permit, and started working.  Had to pay for an inspection every time the dude came out during the process.  After hanging drywall he came out and inspected and pointed out to one board that had 2 less screws than it should.  I said I'd toss those in right now.  NOPE.  Marked fail, call back and schedule (and pay for) an appointment (3 weeks later).  Focking racket.

For me it was getting the grading permit and such, every department in the local gov gets a turn in extorting money from you.  If there is an evil in this world it lives happily in Islam and government.,...

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I remodeled my upstairs about 10 years ago and wish I had done this.  Instead gave the wife a large walk-in closet.  Big mistake squared.  

Get the epoxy coating for your garage floor. Looks great and easy to clean. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Get the epoxy coating for your garage floor. Looks great and easy to clean. 

I would do that on my own afterwards.  I guess having it done before you get that first bit of oil on it would be good, but it isn't that hard to do yourself.  :dunno: