Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I'm building a house

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I would do that on my own afterwards.  I guess having it done before you get that first bit of oil on it would be good, but it isn't that hard to do yourself.  :dunno:

That works too. Guy before me had motorcycles and the floor was covered in oil. Looks great now. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That works too. Guy before me had motorcycles and the floor was covered in oil. Looks great now. 

I would do the same with the basement if it is unfinished.  Even a concrete paint works well to have it easier to clean and look better.

Another thing that we did was we have the builder spread out the top soil and we raked it by hand to pull out the rocks.  Even "screened" loam has rocks and we live in an old quarry, so they had tons.  Not sure I would do all that manual labor now, though (30,000 sq ft).

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I would do the same with the basement if it is unfinished.  Even a concrete paint works well to have it easier to clean and look better.

Another thing that we did was we have the builder spread out the top soil and we raked it by hand to pull out the rocks.  Even "screened" loam has rocks and we live in an old quarry, so they had tons.  Not sure I would do all that manual labor now, though (30,000 sq ft).

Holy shite. They churned up a bunch of rocks when they dug for the pool and patio but nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Better off having the washer and dryer on the floor where your bedrooms are.  We moved ours upstairs and it saves a ton of time and effort (for my wife).

My old house had the laundry up stairs too. It was great, except for two situations.

1. Moving the mother fockers up the stairs... 

2. If a hose or something blows, having sh!t tons of water on a plywood floor can become a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Holy shite. They churned up a bunch of rocks when they dug for the pool and patio but nothing like that. 

It wasn't 30,000 sq ft of rocks.  It was 30,000 sq ft that I had to rake by hand.

As far as rocks go, when I put in my addition, they hauled away 8 dump trucks worth of huge rocks and there were still a few leftover.  When I built my deck, I dug 15 footings 3' deep by hand and it was a .  Definitely not easy to have a house on an old quarry.  :D

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

My old house had the laundry up stairs too. It was great, except for two situations.

1. Moving the mother fockers up the stairs... 

2. If a hose or something blows, having sh!t tons of water on a plywood floor can become a problem. 

I really should have put a drain in when I put in the addition.  I was not too bright on that one.  You can get sensors that turn off the water when the floor gets wet.  I should look into that.  

"I'm fixing a hole, where the rain gets in, and stop my mind from wandering, where it will go" 🎶

They are finally going to start digging this week. Took forever!

Congrats CDub.

We had a house built about five years ago. Been liking it but wished we’d focused on the fundamentals a little more.

For example, where on the lot is the house situated? We had a bit of an oversized lot and fockers put the house right up at the street to save on not having a longer driveway. Wish that damn thing was like 20 feet further back and angled a bit. Nothing I can do about it now of course.

Also we didn’t get a basement and now we have no room to expand short of building a very expensive addition.

Not a big deal, we didn’t think it was going to be our “forever home” and we’ll probably just move in a couple years. Would’ve been nice to have the option to stay longer, though, had we thought out the fundamentals a little more.

56 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Congrats CDub.

We had a house built about five years ago. Been liking it but wished we’d focused on the fundamentals a little more.

For example, where on the lot is the house situated? We had a bit of an oversized lot and fockers put the house right up at the street to save on not having a longer driveway. Wish that damn thing was like 20 feet further back and angled a bit. Nothing I can do about it now of course.

Also we didn’t get a basement and now we have no room to expand short of building a very expensive addition.

Not a big deal, we didn’t think it was going to be our “forever home” and we’ll probably just move in a couple years. Would’ve been nice to have the option to stay longer, though, had we thought out the fundamentals a little more.

If there's no basement, can't you just pick it up and move it farther back?  How heavy is it?  🤔

7 minutes ago, Mookz said:

If there's no basement, can't you just pick it up and move it farther back?  How heavy is it?  🤔

I know.  It is just a cardboard box.  How hard could that be to move?  :dunno:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Believe it or not, it's actually a fairly easy process.  If the house currently sits on a concrete pad, it's even easier.  They could come in and dig out the basement and build it up, putting the supports in the right place, then literally pick the house up and put it in place.  Now, when I say easy, I don't mean quick and inexpensive.   Just that the process is routine and not really complex.  Though, I'm thinking that may not work for him.  He says he wishes it were back just 20'.  I'm guessing his house is more that 20' in depth, meaning, they'd need to build the basement partially under his existing foundation and at that point is where you lose the "easy process".  Now, if his house is 40' deep and want his house 50' or 60' back, then he should be ok.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I know.  It is just a cardboard box.  How hard could that be to move?  :dunno:

It’s the really thick kind. Winters are cold here :doh:

The builder focked up.

We ordered the deluxe owners suite which adds 42 sqft to the house. We also customized it. We removed the bath tub. Moved the shower against the wall and extended it to the window (plumbing still on inside wall). Moved the door to the middle of the wall.

In addition our house is flipped from the spec drawing.

So I go look at the house and sheet is off. Turns out the framed the house using the non deluxe bath plans and they didn't flip the custom drawing so the shower and tub are in the wrong spots. Also because there wasn't the extra space my shower is wide instead of long.

I have a call into them this afternoon. Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The builder focked up.

We ordered the deluxe owners suite which adds 42 sqft to the house. We also customized it. We removed the bath tub. Moved the shower against the wall and extended it to the window (plumbing still on inside wall). Moved the door to the middle of the wall.

So I go look at the house and sheet is off. Turns out the framed the house using the non deluxe bath plans and they didn't flip the custom drawing so the shower and tub are in the wrong spots. Also because there wasn't the extra space my shower is wide instead of long.

I've never had a house built but if I did I'd be planning on living there a long time and want it exactly as I want it.  I can get a house that isn't perfect without having it custom built.  So, I'd be pretty focking pissed and start out from the standpoint of "you're tearing this focker down and rebuilding it right."  You have a contract that defines how it's supposed to be so that's not TOO unreasonable.  And then negotiate from there.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

I've never had a house built but if I did I'd be planning on living there a long time and want it exactly as I want it.  I can get a house that isn't perfect without having it custom built.  So, I'd be pretty focking pissed and start out from the standpoint of "you're tearing this focker down and rebuilding it right."  You have a contract that defines how it's supposed to be so that's not TOO unreasonable.  And then negotiate from there.

Also failed to mention the bathroom door swings out into a window. so year we are going to to have to change the bathroom.

You are presumably paying a lot of money to have the house built, so have it built the way it was designed even if they have to do some things over. 

I came to see my house when it was being built and they had the bathroom window in the wrong spot.  The window would have been right where the sink was. I was not going to have that, so I made them move it to where the plans stated it should be.  They were not happy, but I wasn't going to be washing my hand with my face in a window and my wife not having a mirror where it belonged.  

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Good luck with that.  These builders seem rather incompetent and I have seen builders like these bail on a house a declare bankruptcy.  Then where are you?  First off, get a county or local inspector out there to make sure they haven't focked up anything that really matters.  Then go back to the architect to see how they can fix this stuff.  You can take them to court, but get the home finished first.

I remember when I bought my house how  I thought it was big enough.It’s not. Oh well. Maybe because it’s winter I feel that way. 

34 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I remember when I bought my house how  I thought it was big enough.It’s not. Oh well. Maybe because it’s winter I feel that way. 

Bought our house before kids. Had to add on with 2nd kid. It still isn’t a McMansion, so I could  always use more space to avoid these rug rats!

13 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Bought our house before kids. Had to add on with 2nd kid. It still isn’t a McMansion, so I could  always use more space to avoid these rug rats!

Yeah. I need my deck and patio. A couple of more months.

I need more garage space...a lot more. Bought a lot last fall with intentions to build, but an awesome house nearby hit the market this week that we’re going to check out. Has some cool features for the kids, but not the garage space I need. 3 acres, so I could add it later. Decisions, decisions.

Whelp after a year and a half it's finally ready. We close next week.

I have a feeling the closing office will ask me to wear a mask and it ain't happening.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Whelp after a year and a half it's finally ready. We close next week.

I have a feeling the closing office will ask me to wear a mask and it ain't happening.

When we closed a couple months ago, we signed in our car. Worked out slick.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

When we closed a couple months ago, we signed in our car. Worked out slick.

That'll work I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it, but I'm not wearing a mask. I honestly believe they increase a persons chance of getting sick and they are being used as a placebo and reminder for people to be scared.

Just now, Cdub100 said:

That'll work I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it, but I'm not wearing a mask. I honestly believe they increase a persons chance of getting sick and they are being used as a placebo and reminder for people to be scared.

Hope it goes smooth and you enjoy the new place!

Just now, Gladiators said:

Hope it goes smooth and you enjoy the new place!

Thanks #metoo. It's been a long process.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:07 PM, Cdub100 said:

The builder focked up.

So, how did this all pan out?

Also, congratulations.

16 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Coo coo

Sitting in the builders office waiting to get the keys.

*Also not wearing a mask :ninja:

22 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Bump

You should pay a visit to the Mrs and check it out.  She can also fill you in on how everything played out.  :thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

You should pay a visit to the Mrs and check it out.  She can also fill you in on how everything played out.  :thumbsup:

I've tried but she's a close talker and refuses to wear a mask.  

As for the fock up there wasn't much we could do since we already upgraded pretty much everything. We agreed to more cabinets in master bath, some upgrades in the basement. We also changed a few things in the master bath to make it work. They also gave us the cost of the upgrade back + some cash.

Pool will have to go in in the spring.

Don't cheap out on the pool.  Go with gunite and a nice pebble finish, brick coping, etc

3 minutes ago, vomit said:

Don't cheap out on the pool.  Go with gunite and a nice pebble finish, brick coping, etc

And an automatic cover.

4 minutes ago, vomit said:

I went with fiberglass which was almost as expensive.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I went with fiberglass which was almost as expensive.

Oh a kiddie pool!  Cute.