Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I'm building a house

26 minutes ago, vomit said:

If you can afford it, go gunite.  It is vastly superior to this crap.

Already put the deposit down. Gunite is pretty good not sure it's not that much better. But to each their own.

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Already put the deposit down. Gunite is pretty good not sure it's not that much better. But to each their own.

Enjoy your white trash bathtub. 😅

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, vomit said:

Enjoy your white trash bathtub. 😅

Why hide behind this alias to troll?

10 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Because Mike banned his other 27 aliases since he wished someone would assissinate our President.

Just now, Strike said:

Because Mike banned his other 27 aliases since he wished someone would assissinate our President.

Oh, didn't realize it was Newbie, it's an account created in 2004

38 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

It wans't a bad troll. He strung it along. It's too bad he doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Fiberglass =/= Gunite > Liner 

15 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

It wans't a bad troll. He strung it along. It's too bad he doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Fiberglass =/= Gunite > Liner 

Wouldn't a concrete pool be more durable than a fiberglass pool, therefore being the better option?

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Wouldn't a concrete pool be more durable than a fiberglass pool, therefore being the better option?

When it comes to durability fiberglass is just as good as gunite. Gunite pools will need major refurbishments every 7-10 years on average. Gunite also needs more maintenance and care throughout the season. Gunite is also rough on the feet and takes much longer to install. However, to your point gunite can be fixed easier than fiberglass if there is an issue.

Fiberglass cons are you cannot customize the shape and sizes are limited.

I got nothing against gunite. They are the most expensive type of pool because they are amazing. Fiberglass is just as good and has additional benefits I was looking for.

3 days of moving sh1t we are in. Threw my lower back out at the end of the day. Getting old sucks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

3 days of moving sh1t we are in. Threw my lower back out at the end of the day. Getting old sucks.

Congrats.  Enjoy 

55 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Congratulations on moving in. Sucks on the back issue, but hiring a moving company (for us old people) is usually worth it.

True, but I'm cheap saved me at least 1k. I'll take a few days of back issue for the savings.

The b1tch of it is I was al done with the heaving moving I was just lifting sh1t to put padding underneath. Three days of heavy lifting caught up to me.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Cdub100 said:

When it comes to durability fiberglass is just as good as gunite. Gunite pools will need major refurbishments every 7-10 years on average. Gunite also needs more maintenance and care throughout the season. Gunite is also rough on the feet and takes much longer to install. However, to your point gunite can be fixed easier than fiberglass if there is an issue.

Fiberglass cons are you cannot customize the shape and sizes are limited.

I got nothing against gunite. They are the most expensive type of pool because they are amazing. Fiberglass is just as good and has additional benefits I was looking for.

Actually I do know what I'm talking about.  FIberglass is not as durable as gunite.  Just ask any respectable pool builder.  A properly constructed gunite pool will outlast you.  Under perfect conditions fiberglass can last as long, but most fiberglass installers are not great at their jobs, which is why they install fiberglass, it's much easier to do.  Fiberglass tends to leak and repairing the leak is a chore.

Gunite does not need major refurbishment every 7-10 years.  As I said, the gunite will last over a lifetime.  What you might be referring to is the finish over the gunite, which can be several options.  The cheapest and easiest is plaster, which can have a short lifespan if pool chemistry is neglected, 7-10 years.  There are other more durable surfaces like pebble, or even tile which is the most durable and most expensive.

As far as surface texture, most good finishes over are comparable to fiberglass.  Fiberglass can fade over time, and it cannot be refinished, which means a whole new pool vs a $10K remodel.  You can do whatever you want with a gunite pool. 

The big problem I see with your pool is depth, it's only 6 feet deep.  No diving board, no diving, I'd even be afraid to jump in that shallow of water. 

So yeah it's cheaper, and my original advice was don't cheap out on the pool, but whatever.

The master bed and bath is 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. There is a noticeable temperature change when you walk into it. So I go up into the attic  and these motherfockers didn't insulate the attic. Jesus focking Christ.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The master bed and bath is 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. There is a noticeable temperature change when you walk into it. So I go up into the attic  and these motherfockers didn't insulate the attic. Jesus focking Christ.

Oh yeah, they do that. Especially with exterior walls. I work from home and periodically inspected their work. Watched them put up dry wall on an exterior wall with no insulation. Made them rip it all out. Should have kicked them out my house. They love cutting corners on insulation and when they do install it looks like shLt. Any crap job like that you are going to find the winners of the world. 

23 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Unreal

The site Manager is coming at 3 and the plan is to install the insulation tomorrow.

Sounds like you guys have some terrible carpenters in your area.  I'm lucky that one of my good friends is a carpenter and he does great work.