Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I'm building a house

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I would do that on my own afterwards.  I guess having it done before you get that first bit of oil on it would be good, but it isn't that hard to do yourself.  :dunno:

That works too. Guy before me had motorcycles and the floor was covered in oil. Looks great now. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That works too. Guy before me had motorcycles and the floor was covered in oil. Looks great now. 

I would do the same with the basement if it is unfinished.  Even a concrete paint works well to have it easier to clean and look better.

Another thing that we did was we have the builder spread out the top soil and we raked it by hand to pull out the rocks.  Even "screened" loam has rocks and we live in an old quarry, so they had tons.  Not sure I would do all that manual labor now, though (30,000 sq ft).

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I would do the same with the basement if it is unfinished.  Even a concrete paint works well to have it easier to clean and look better.

Another thing that we did was we have the builder spread out the top soil and we raked it by hand to pull out the rocks.  Even "screened" loam has rocks and we live in an old quarry, so they had tons.  Not sure I would do all that manual labor now, though (30,000 sq ft).

Holy shite. They churned up a bunch of rocks when they dug for the pool and patio but nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Better off having the washer and dryer on the floor where your bedrooms are.  We moved ours upstairs and it saves a ton of time and effort (for my wife).

My old house had the laundry up stairs too. It was great, except for two situations.

1. Moving the mother fockers up the stairs... 

2. If a hose or something blows, having sh!t tons of water on a plywood floor can become a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Holy shite. They churned up a bunch of rocks when they dug for the pool and patio but nothing like that. 

It wasn't 30,000 sq ft of rocks.  It was 30,000 sq ft that I had to rake by hand.

As far as rocks go, when I put in my addition, they hauled away 8 dump trucks worth of huge rocks and there were still a few leftover.  When I built my deck, I dug 15 footings 3' deep by hand and it was a .  Definitely not easy to have a house on an old quarry.  :D

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

My old house had the laundry up stairs too. It was great, except for two situations.

1. Moving the mother fockers up the stairs... 

2. If a hose or something blows, having sh!t tons of water on a plywood floor can become a problem. 

I really should have put a drain in when I put in the addition.  I was not too bright on that one.  You can get sensors that turn off the water when the floor gets wet.  I should look into that.  

"I'm fixing a hole, where the rain gets in, and stop my mind from wandering, where it will go" 🎶