Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Fun Bob Griese Super Bowl stats

HOF QB Bob Griese went to 3 superbowls and was 2-1 in those games:

48 total passes over 3 games. 1 TD Pass, 2 INTs. :) 

Passing Rushing Receiving
Year SB Tm Opp Result Cmp Att Yds TD Int Lng Rate Att Yds TD Lng Rec Yds TD Lng
Career 3       26 41 295 1 2 28 72.7 3 7 0 5 0 0 0
1971 VI MIA DAL L, 3-24 12 23 134 0 1 27 51.7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1972 VII MIA WAS W, 14-7 8 11 88 1 1 28 88.4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1973 VIII MIA MIN W, 24-7 6 7 73 0 0 27 110.1 2 7 0 5 0 0 0 0

What an era! A time when these guys physically kicked the crap out of each other. I think the only penalties you could get were offsides and murder.  

During the 1970s the average salary of a football player ranged from $20,000 to $60,000. Many of the professional football players during this time had to have second jobs in order to support themselves and their family.

What was fantasy football like in 1970?

17 hours ago, sderk said:

What an era! A time when these guys physically kicked the crap out of each other. I think the only penalties you could get were offsides and murder.

Well there was also holding - offensive linemen basically couldn't use their hands and were essentially punching bags for the D (remember the head slap?)  They were the ultimate pawns.

17 hours ago, sderk said:

What was fantasy football like in 1970?

Virtually non-existent.

3 hours ago, Showboat said:

Well there was also holding - offensive linemen basically couldn't use their hands and were essentially punching bags for the D (remember the head slap?)  They were the ultimate pawns.

Virtually non-existent.

I think it basically started in the 70's didn't it? I heard some say they started at that time. I think I started in the 80's myself.

I think the origins were actually traced back to the 60s and some hardcore supporters of the old AFL.  FF actually would have been great in the 70s.  Doing your homework could produce gems that were literally unknown to anyone else.  Due to having to pull performance stats out of box scores from the local newspaper, TDs were king, maybe 100 yard bonuses, IDP - forget about it (sacks weren't even an official stat until the 80s).....

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

I think the origins were actually traced back to the 60s and some hardcore supporters of the old AFL.  FF actually would have been great in the 70s.  Doing your homework could produce gems that were literally unknown to anyone else.  Due to having to pull performance stats out of box scores from the local newspaper, TDs were king, maybe 100 yard bonuses, IDP - forget about it (sacks weren't even an official stat until the 80s).....

We had to do newspapers in the 80's as well. It was actually pretty fun to a degree. Obviously wouldn't want to go back to that but it did have its charm of pouring over the stats and trying to find a point here or there that may have been missed in all the details.