Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Is it racist to hire someone based on their skin color

I’ve seen on social media multiple times of black people going out of their way to hire someone who is also black. Such as hiring a black lawyer or only going to a certain restaurant cause the owners are black (I think it was a Krispy Kreme that was like 20 minutes from their house when another one was only like 5 minutes away but was owned by a white guy). So is it racist to do that? Could you imagine a what would happen if a white person said they only hire white people for things or only go to white owned businesses? 

It is different. Support your community and all. Doesn't really apply to white people in general. But you see it all the time in white subsets. Irish, Italian, Jewish, etc. And many people patronize businesses of people they go to church with, or their kids go to school with their kids, or whatever. 

Are you supposed, no.

Do most people do it? Yes.

I had a 100% Hispanic crew at a distribution center in Cali. Great, smart, hardworking guys that would not let me fail. A dozen of them came to see me at the end of the day while I was in my office. They said they knew I was going to hire a new employee, and they asked me if I could hire somebody White. I asked them why, and they said they needed to speak English so they could improve their language skills. I agreed, under protest. I knew a White guy taking a warehouse job would likely be a discipline problem.

He was. I considered letting him know why he was hired several times. 

I asked the HR director if he had ever heard of a group of workers requesting a person of another race be hired. He told me that when more Black people started getting management jobs, Black workers would ask for a White manager because they figured he could get more done, inside the company, for their interest. 

It happens. 

I won't reply in Peenie's thread.  At least not seriously.  I may make some racist joke to try to get it Peenied.  Anyone who replies seriously is dumb for doing so knowing it is going to disappear.  But to this and her thread No I don't think it's racist to hire or not hire someone based on their race.  Racism to me is believing someone is inferior due to their race, and as the examples in both of these threads suggest the reasoning for the decision to hire or not hire wasn't due to believing the person inferior.  The reasoning in both cases is flawed but not racist.  And we're never going to even approach a "color blind" society when race is a considered factor.  So, I think it's wrong but not due to racist reasons.

23 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Affirmative Actions says it is OK as long as they are not White Males.

Correct....

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve seen on social media multiple times of black people going out of their way to hire someone who is also black. Such as hiring a black lawyer or only going to a certain restaurant cause the owners are black (I think it was a Krispy Kreme that was like 20 minutes from their house when another one was only like 5 minutes away but was owned by a white guy). So is it racist to do that? Could you imagine a what would happen if a white person said they only hire white people for things or only go to white owned businesses? 

You're spending too much time thinking about this stuff.  

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

You're spending too much time thinking about this stuff.  

Not really. Just happened to see someone saying they would only hire black people or visit black owned businesses (this person was also black) very proudly online. 

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Not really. Just happened to see someone saying they would only hire black people or visit black owned businesses (this person was also black) very proudly online. 

When the Zimmerman/Trayvon incident happened, after Sharpton came to where I lived there were signs all over the city saying to “boycott white businesses”.

Zimmerman is Spanish. 

3 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

When the Zimmerman/Trayvon incident happened, after Sharpton came to where I lived there were signs all over the city saying to “boycott white businesses”.

Zimmerman is Spanish. 

If you only caught the nbc/abc/cbs news reports you would have thought he was 100% white and Trayvon still played peewee football. 

The only reason I even started the "other" thread was because this thread was created. You guys always do spinoff threads with similar names, so I made one. I just don't want you all to be confused and think this thread was the spinoff of my thread. 🤦🏿‍♀️

22 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Zimmerman is Spanish. 

The MSM labeled him as "white Hispanic" ...first one ever.

Never saw them label Obama as white African American and he's half white. Its almost like they have some sort of bias or motive or something.  :dunno:

9 minutes ago, drobeski said:

The MSM labeled him as "white Hispanic" ...first one ever.

Never saw them label Obama as white African American and he's half white. Its almost like they have some sort of bias or motive or something.  :dunno:

The "crime" is measured on the content of the participants instead of the actions.  it's sick, but its how leftists exploit people and situations.

39 minutes ago, peenie said:

The only reason I even started the "other" thread was because this thread was created. You guys always do spinoff threads with similar names, so I made one. I just don't want you all to be confused and think this thread was the spinoff of my thread. 🤦🏿‍♀️

Usually spinoff threads have a comedic component to them.  They're usually not the exact same thread in reverse.  And we're usually not worried about the thread getting aborted at any given time. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Strike said:

Usually spinoff threads have a comedic component to them. 

The thread wasn't funny to you?

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, BiPolarBear said:

I asked the HR director if he had ever heard of a group of workers requesting a person of another race be hired. He told me that when more Black people started getting management jobs, Black workers would ask for a White manager because they figured he could get more done, inside the company, for their interest.  

Not sure what this means? Does this mean that the black manager wasn't doing his/her job so therefore they wanted a white manager? Does it mean that because the manager was black, black employees weren't as productive as with a white manager? Meaning, they don't respect the black manager as an authority figure as much as a white one?

21 minutes ago, peenie said:

Not sure what this means? Does this mean that the black manager wasn't doing his/her job so therefore they wanted a white manager? Does it mean that because the manager was black, black employees weren't as productive as with a white manager? Meaning, they don't respect the black manager as an authority figure as much as a white one?

It means that the Black employees did not want to be represented by a Black person, because they believed he, or she, would not have as much pull inside the organization as a White person. 

I would not have believed such things ever happened, if the hispanic guys I worked with had not come to me and asked me to not hire another hispanic guy. 

5 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

It means that the Black employees did not want to be represented by a Black person, because they believed he, or she, would not have as much pull inside the organization as a White person. 

I would not have believed such things ever happened, if the hispanic guys I worked with had not come to me and asked me to not hire another hispanic guy. 

Just to be clear, that means, black manager Barack wouldn't be able to get his workers benefits as much as say white manager Donald? That makes sense. It's because Barack won't be respected by higher ups as much as Donald just because the higher ups are white. I get it now. Sadly, though, in order for a black manager to get respect and power, there first must be a black manager.

1 minute ago, peenie said:

Just to be clear, that means, black manager Barack wouldn't be able to get his workers benefits as much as say white manager Donald? That makes sense. It's because Barack won't be respected by higher ups as much as Donald just because the higher ups are white. I get it now. Sadly, though, in order for a black manager to get respect and power, there first must be a black manager.

That may or may not be true in a warehouse setting as described earlier, but I can guarantee you it's not true in most workplaces.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

That may or may not be true in a warehouse setting as described earlier, but I can guarantee you it's not true in most workplaces.

I mean, you can't complain about black managers not doing a good job due to favoritism towards white managers if only white managers are hired. You eventually have to step outside the box, take a chance and hire a qualified black manager. Right?

1 minute ago, peenie said:

I mean, you can't complain about black managers not doing a good job due to favoritism towards white managers if only white managers are hired. You eventually have to step outside the box, take a chance and hire a qualified black manager. Right?

I'm not sure what you're asking or your point is.  I've never worked anywhere where race factored in to the hiring process.  I've had black managers and never thought anything of it.  Why would I?  I'm not a racist.  As I said, I could see that happening in a warehouse job due to the blue collar nature of the job.  But as you move up to more skilled jobs I just don't think it's an issue. 

I've told you this before but at some point you just have to forget about the color of someone's skin.  It saddens me that I am more true to the following quote than you are:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

I've told you this before but at some point you just have to forget about the color of someone's skin.  It saddens me that I am more true to the following quote than you are:

In what way? I'm confused? I was discussing someone else's story, not my own.

The fallacy that people still base hiring practices on skin color is beyond inane at this stage.   That it still exists as a notion speaks to person bias of those who continue to trot it out as if real.

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

The fallacy that people still base hiring practices on skin color is beyond inane at this stage.   That it still exists as a notion speaks to person bias of those who continue to trot it out as if real.

People base hiring decisions on a lot of things that aren’t merit / qualifications based. They usually chalk it up to stuff like “culture” and “fit” though.

In my experience  there is one thing that can be said about the majority of black people I have worked with: They refuse to get to work on time. They are almost defiant about it.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

In what way? I'm confused? I was discussing someone else's story, not my own.

It's not about one post.  You define your worldview on a regular basis around here. 

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

People base hiring decisions on a lot of things that aren’t merit / qualifications based. They usually chalk it up to stuff like “culture” and “fit” though.

No, they don't actually. i know this is not true, I have lived in the arena of populating programs, none of what you said is true.  I suspect it was at one time, but its just not that way.

9 minutes ago, RLLD said:

No, they don't actually. i know this is not true, I have lived in the arena of populating programs, none of what you said is true.  I suspect it was at one time, but its just not that way.

In my experience (corporate world past 5-6 years) it’s definitely true. I was surprised at how often people would comment on age age of candidates, how they’re dressed, whether they’re good looking etc.

Nobody self reports their biases. Most people are barely aware of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

In my experience (corporate world past 5-6 years) it’s definitely true. I was surprised at how often people would comment on age age of candidates, how they’re dressed, whether they’re good looking etc.

Nobody self reports their biases. Most people are barely aware of them.

I can only speak to my company and the previous company I worked for. While people would comment on looks of a candidate, that didn’t have an impact on hiring. At the end of the day, I’m hiring the person I feel will perform best and fit in from a company culture perspective.

Anyone who is hiring based mostly or only on looks isn’t looking out for the best interest of the company. They shouldn’t be making hiring decisions, unless they’re hiring models/strippers...

27 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I can only speak to my company and the previous company I worked for. While people would comment on looks of a candidate, that didn’t have an impact on hiring. At the end of the day, I’m hiring the person I feel will perform best and fit in from a company culture perspective.

Anyone who is hiring based mostly or only on looks isn’t looking out for the best interest of the company. They shouldn’t be making hiring decisions, unless they’re hiring models/strippers...

I wouldn’t say the examples I’m thinking of were people not hiring someone solely or mostly on the way they looked. Just saying it definitely affected the way those candidates were perceived and may have tipped the scales toward or away from a candidate. Anyone who says they don’t make assumptions about the people they meet based on the way they look is lying to themselves.

I'd bet that in a predominantly minority city like Philadelphia, MDC has tops one black person in his office. Doesn't stop him though. 

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Bless your heart for your reading skills. There are lots of Black managers now in whatever workplace.        :dunno:

My company has I think 6 black people in an office of 40. That’s actually a little more diverse than my experience at most companies. I don’t do any hiring here though.