Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Melvin Gordon threatens to holdout of camp

It's training camp holdout season! Gordon's agent indicates talks of a new deal are not going well. These things have a tendency to work themselves out, but I've been targeting Justin Jackson late in my early drafts prior to this news.

Man, I went from a super awesome situation in my keeper league to things being a bit of a mess.

3 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

It's training camp holdout season! Gordon's agent indicates talks of a new deal are not going well. These things have a tendency to work themselves out, but I've been targeting Justin Jackson late in my early drafts prior to this news.

In full point ppr leagues, would Ekeler be the target you want?

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Yes, I would lean towards Ekeler in PPR.

I knew you were a reasonable kind-hearted soul who would agree to making the right call here.  ;) 

3 hours ago, the spanker said:

In full point ppr leagues, would Ekeler be the target you want?

I love this question. Gordon's out? "Next up!"

I love football.

Jackson might end up being the Lendale White of Ekeler's life..maybe even worse than that.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Gordon thing is going to go badly either way. It could be gas though so let's see!

From what I read, Gordon is the third highest paid RB "now" (LAR, BUF?).  Talk about a money grab..

From what I have read, Gordon is the 11th highest paid RB in 2019 behind Jerick Mckinnon as the 10th. Lamar Miller, Fournette, McCoy will make more.

Players negotiating their fair value is absolutely not a money grab in my opinion.

Like the Zeke, I hope he does. 

This is 2018 all over for me. Last year I had Gordon and Lev Bell as keepers. Bell screwed me. This year I have Conners and Gordon as keepers and now I'm going through the exact same scenario?? I will not be burned this year MG3!

From ESPN...

While the two sides have exchanged proposals in recent days, running back Melvin Gordon's holdout now is expected to be prolonged and threatens to last into the season, per sources familiar with the talks. Gordon is in the final year of a rookie contract that is scheduled to pay him $5.6 million this season, but he wants a new deal to put him among the highest-paid running backs in the league.

Sounds like this could go down to the wire meaning most drafts will have concluded before we get a resolution. I expect to see Ekeler and Jackson's ADP to continue to rise.

37 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

How many games does he need to show up for, for it to be considered a year off his contract?

I believe it's 6. Some have said he needs to report to camp also. Idk about that part

L Bell taking last season off , has. open what will be the new way of handling a contract situation. 

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

L Bell taking last season off , has. open what will be the new way of handling a contract situation. 

So this option didn't exist before? Guys like Gordon and Zeke are under their rookie deals. If they take the whole year off they will just be in the same spot next year. 

I think L bell taking last season off has open up a new way of handling contract situations. 

Yeap.  

So where do you draft Gordon? What round do you take a chance on the risk/reward and either look like the smartest guy in the room or the guy that just blew his draft?

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think L bell taking last season off has open up a new way of handling contract situations. 

Yeap.  

He wasn't the first to do it

45 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

And look what happened to Bell. Lost out on a bunch of money, went from a contender to a bad team, and burned a lot of bridges with teammates in the process. It will be interesting to see how he comes back this year. If for some reason he comes back and is subpar at his job, he could have cost himself a HOF trajectory.

56 minutes ago, sderk said:

And look what happened to Bell. Lost out on a bunch of money, went from a contender to a bad team, and burned a lot of bridges with teammates in the process. It will be interesting to see how he comes back this year. If for some reason he comes back and is subpar at his job, he could have cost himself a HOF trajectory.

Yeah he missed a lot of money. I get why he did it, but just because he did it, it doesn't mean it's going to always work. Really, the only reason why it worked is because he was a free agent, and because he would have hit the third franchise tag, which would have payed him like a top qb. These running backs can hold out to save miles on the legs, but it will only be for so many weeks until they have to report anyway. 

Players have done it before. I don't think Bell has much to do with other running backs following suit. The way the NFL market is treating running backs has much more to do with it. These players agents are informing them of how it's going to be harder to get paid as a top running back in the league than ever before. 

6 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Never ever did I say he was the first one to sit out.  

But he was the lastest and a big name player if you would.  

I do think others will watch and see what his out come is.  

His move I think makes other star players feel like they have a lot more power when it comes to a contract situation 

On 7/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, Smileseers said:

From what I have read, Gordon is the 11th highest paid RB in 2019 behind Jerick Mckinnon as the 10th. Lamar Miller, Fournette, McCoy will make more.

Players negotiating their fair value is absolutely not a money grab in my opinion.

I agree in a way. When the NFLPA agreed to these 4 year set contracts they FOCKED the future rookies big time. If he wants to make it right he needs to get the NFLPA exec's replaced. Younger players have to band together

eckler had 2 games when he was the primary ball carrier last year. In week 12 he got 13 attempts for 21 yards and 5 receptions for 22. Week 13 he got 15 attempts for 66 yards and 2 receptions.  If Gordon is out eckler is not the answer. 

Ekeler and Jackson both will need to be the answer if they do trade Gordon. 

Pretty soon it’s the point of no return where even if he reports, he won’t play hard or will get a hamstring injury. Looking like he’s close to being scratched off the board altogether. Highly doubt they trade him.

Looking at what QB and WR are making I can understand RB wanting to make more.  Plus looking at the career span of RB. They are lucky to make it to a big pay day.  Not sure how to fix this and remain fair to everyone.