Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

Thoughts on David Johnson as a top 5 pick

Would agree about Conner, I don’t think he’s a safer pick, neither of them would be worthy of a top five. 

But the rb situation with the Steelers.  will be a messy one this season.  

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

You do know that N Chubb did avg 16 points per game in ppr the last ten games of the season. 

Thats when he took over.  

He playes for a much better offense then you will find in Zona. 

Ill take Chubb over DJ.  

Once again DJ is not worthy of a top five pick, and that was the op question. 

Chubb plays for an offense that will be slightly different this year than last year.   DJ plays for an offense that will be VASTLY different this year than last year.   You're doing what many FFL guys do.  Looking at last year only.   There's this thing call proactive analysis and foresight.  You should try it sometime.    

On 7/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, bobby heenan said:

Adding to this...

The very pedestrian Alfred Morris rushed for 1600 yards and 13 tds in Robert Griffin's rookie year(and his own)...Griffin's skillset is similar to Murray's 

To be fair, that was the year that really introduced the read option to the NFL, and defenses didn't learn how to counter it until the next year.

1 hour ago, Maulers1973 said:

Chubb plays for an offense that will be slightly different this year than last year.   DJ plays for an offense that will be VASTLY different this year than last year.   You're doing what many FFL guys do.  Looking at last year only.   There's this thing call proactive analysis and foresight.  You should try it sometime.    

Huh? 

Chubb playes for a team that will be vastly the same. 

And he will be their lead back, and on a team that’s going to be a even more productive offense then last season. Atleast I think so. 

Do agree about Zona going with a vastly new system, one that no one knows if it will produce with a rookie Qb. 

So here a question for you, do you think DJ is worthy of a top five pick in a ppr league?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

To be fair, that was the year that really introduced the read option to the NFL, and defenses didn't learn how to counter it until the next year.

deangelo williams and jon stewart both averaged 5.4 yards per carry the year before with cam newton at the helm....

On 7/24/2019 at 5:01 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

I don't see how Conner is safer when the running back behind him is all around better

fair.  like i said i will be debating this.  personally i'm not convinced samuels will steal a lot, the history of pitt is to rely heavily on one guy.  i feel conner would have to get injured or somehow fail badly to lose his high usage %. 

For more proof on rookie QBs who run that style....look at the ravens rb ypc last year with flacco under center compared to when Jackson took over

On 7/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, weepaws said:

Huh? 

Chubb playes for a team that will be vastly the same. 

And he will be their lead back, and on a team that’s going to be a even more productive offense then last season. Atleast I think so. 

Do agree about Zona going with a vastly new system, one that no one knows if it will produce with a rookie Qb. 

So here a question for you, do you think DJ is worthy of a top five pick in a ppr league?  

Yes, of course!!

Things change from year to year.   The Browns have a new HC, and a new OC.  The offense will be similar, but they also added OBJ to the mix.  That offense is going to be dynamic.  Last year it was mostly a pro style offense with a fair amount of misdirection mixed in.  This year there will be some air raid mixed in.   Again, it will be different this year, quite a bit better most likely.   If it weren't for Hunt late in the year, I'd be calling Chubb a top 5 back.   

DJ is bell cow back with no real challengers on an offense that is going to be productive at the very least, more so than last year with the Stooges running the show.   Failure to adapt to the changes from one year to the next is what usually cripples FFL teams.   

You probably have Bell in your top 5.     LOL    

I’m not sold that this years Zona team will be more productive on offense then last years. 

I do t even know if the new college coaches system will produce. 

I don’t know if Murray can get it done, I’ve said from draft day one I’m not sold. 

So I diffently disagree that DJ is a top five pick in a ff draft.  

Im calling Chubb a top five rb. Expecally for those first ten games and plan on drafting higher then most. 

But I hope you understand, I’m not asking you if DJ is a top five rb, the op asked is he worthy of being a top five draft pick? 

I don’t and I told you why. 

Anyway good luck time to give this discussion a break. 

Its all good.