Sign in to follow this  
Saturday Night Beaver

Ezekiel Elliott planning to holdout???

I wouldn't be surprised at anything that dude does. 

Seriously doubt it. Similar to Chris Jones in KC, he needs to report by August 6th or he won't get an accrued season towards free agency.

• Thanks 1

In today's game, RB's should be given 2 year deals with a 3rd year option... kind of like the 1st rounders getting the 5th year option.  RB's have the shortest career expectancy of any position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In today's game, RB's should be given 2 year deals with a 3rd year option... kind of like the 1st rounders getting the 5th year option.  RB's have the shortest career expectancy of any position.

Yeah its unfortunate. It's such a joy to watch a good running back going off. It would suck to see the athletic guys abandon the position because of the current structure to where a guy is considered aging before his rookie deal is up. There were multiple people saying Gordon is an aging running back. I thought it was dumb as hell to think like that, but that's how some people see it.

I don't think there is any doubt that full time RBs should have different terms of contract than other positions. Only problem is, the rest of the players in the league would not have anything to with that. The players association would not go there unless all players had a say in their own positions and rankings of longevity in the league. And then to have to decipher through who lost their job due to physical abuse vs. not being good enough or basic major injury or drug use or concussion factors or knee factors or etc, etc, etc...

No way in hell they can put forth something special for RBs that the rest of the non RB players wouldn't fight against. Blind sided hits on QBs, over the middle smackdowns on WRs, safeties up in the box taking on RBs 40 lbs. heavier than themselves, punt returners in the open field getting smacked. They would all say they are all at risk and that they deserve the same type of contracts.

He’s doing the right thing, have to make the money while he can. He knows RBs are usually expendable and the offense has been crap when he’s not in there. He has rare leverage RBs don’t get in most cases. The off field stuff is crap, he was found completely innocent for the other thing with that chick yet still got suspended as a Roger power play. This latest is just fluff and shouldn’t be a big deal.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, Saturday Night Beaver said:

Lol good, let him hold out. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, tanatastic said:

He’s doing the right thing, have to make the money while he can. He knows RBs are usually expendable and the offense has been crap when he’s not in there. He has rare leverage RBs don’t get in most cases. The off field stuff is crap, he was found completely innocent for the other thing with that chick yet still got suspended as a Roger power play. This latest is just fluff and shouldn’t be a big deal.

He is a good player and should do whatever he wants as far as his approach to his contract is concerned, even it were to be bad for him in the long run. Or good for him or whatever. Just like any other player in the league can approach their contract situation however they want. If Elliott retired today I wouldn't put him down for it.

But the dude is punk off the field. 

From Rotoworld

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports Ezekiel Elliott is planning for a trip out of the country.

A lot could change in the next week, but it's beginning to sound as if Zeke will assuredly hold out into camp unless he receives a new deal. August 6 remains the looming date to monitor as Elliott would give up an accrued season toward free agency if he fails to report by that time, inching closer to becoming a restricted free agent rather than an unrestricted one on the open market following the 2020 season. The Cowboys open camp on July 27.

Jul 20, 2019, 5:22 PM ET

15 hours ago, TwentyFourSeven said:

From Rotoworld

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports Ezekiel Elliott is planning for a trip out of the country.

A lot could change in the next week, but it's beginning to sound as if Zeke will assuredly hold out into camp unless he receives a new deal. August 6 remains the looming date to monitor as Elliott would give up an accrued season toward free agency if he fails to report by that time, inching closer to becoming a restricted free agent rather than an unrestricted one on the open market following the 2020 season. The Cowboys open camp on July 27.

Jul 20, 2019, 5:22 PM ET

I am not a fan of Elliott, and I think it is a shame for players to not fulfill their contracts (why sign them in the first place if you don't like them?), but I believe he is the most valuable back to a team in the NFL. I don't think he is the best back overall, but he is the best back where a team is reliant upon him to elevate the offense. Prescott is not the key to that offense. The oline and Elliott are.

Le'Veon Bell showed he could be replaced, no amount of skilled RB can help the Giants as was displayed last year, teams like the Rams, Bears, Chiefs, and even the Saints I think can get by well enough without a stud RB, although, I believe Chicago is really hoping for a lot out of Montgomery. You may say the Saints rely heavily upon Kamara, but that team could thrive with a lesser back in my opinion. 

A few teams that may really need a dominant healthy lead back to be successful in the next coming couple of years are probably NE with Michel, Balt. with Ingram, and Indi with whoever can step up. I'll throw Chicago in there with Montgomery as well.

In a massive turnabout, the whole city of Dallas came to love Alf after he came here from WAS.  Just a cool dude who did everything that was asked of him, and never once complained.

The Zeke is in Mexico laughing his arse off right now. 

I fully agree with Cowherd on this.....

@ :45

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Cowherd is a knownothing jackass, and it pains me that his idiocy is attached to the Cowboys.

Never, ever agree with him.  If he's actually right about something, it's an accident.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Big Guy said:

He is correct here. So correct. There are so many backs in the league that could run through the holes that oline creates. And without the high price tag and off field drama. 

• Like 1

Agreed.......I'm simply sick of Zeke's crap and he's simply not worth it, whatever it is. 

Pay Zeke! Anyone think Gurley would get the contract he did if it was a year later?!!! Rbs take alot of beating..don't blame these guys for getting what they are worth!

It is a shame that anyone thinks that the owners should not be liable to a contract that the players signs is good faith, but he player should be held to it.

In the real world both parties are liable to honor the contract.

19 hours ago, Smileseers said:

It is a shame that anyone thinks that the owners should not be liable to a contract that the players signs is good faith, but he player should be held to it.

In the real world both parties are liable to honor the contract.

exactly.......that's what contracts are for. 

See ya Elliott. They probably won't, but they could trade Pitt and get a first and a second and Conner and still end up with the same record this year as if they had elliott. Same with 10 other teams in the league.  Actually, Pitt is way smarter than that. My bad.

They'll sign him before season starts.

Not like they have a choice.  The run game is the engine and he's the focal point.

My guess is he either shows up by end of week 3 or they sign him a week before season starts.

Wasn't it Cooper who opened up the offense? Last year Zeke wasn't as good until Cooper was able to take attention away from the run game. Now it's the run game that powers the offense? Nah. Never is on a successful team

Actually Zeke had a good season with and without Amari..  Through week 6 Zeke's worst game he had 15.4 in ppr with a 34 point effort vs Detroit.

When has Amari played without Zeke for the Cowboys?? 

Does anyone here think that Dak and Amari could lead this team anywhere without Zeke?  I like Pollard very much and think he could do well early in the season vs the weaker side of the Cowboys schedule if Zeke holds out until week 10.  

I think there is a lot to be said about Cooper and the cowboys passing game. 

A passing game does help open up holes for the running game, and Cooper diffently made the Cowboys passing game better when he join the team. 

Zeke did avg 4 more points per game with the better passing game.  

And with that said, the Cowboys passing game I think could suffer if the Zeke doesn’t play, it does work both ways. 

The Zeke is the key to the Cowboys over all success this season imo. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:27 PM, Skinny_Bastard said:

They'll sign him before season starts.

Not like they have a choice.  The run game is the engine and he's the focal point.

My guess is he either shows up by end of week 3 or they sign him a week before season starts.

They do have a choice. RBs are a dime a dozen when the team's oline is very good.

I'm getting a flash back to when Emmitt Smith didn't have a contract.  Similar thoughts back then.  They went 0-2, and then Jones paid Emmitt.  I think they won a(nother) Super Bowl that year.

But Aikman and Irvin and Emmit and those def players don’t play anymore. 

No super bowl. 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, Bills04 said:

I'm getting a flash back to when Emmitt Smith didn't have a contract.  Similar thoughts back then.  They went 0-2, and then Jones paid Emmitt.  I think they won a(nother) Super Bowl that year.

that was pre-cap.

nowadays, paying emmitt means a lot of your team depth walks.