Sign in to follow this  
BiffTannen

George Brett or Wade Boggs

Who is better  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the all around better 3rd baseman?

I was in the middle of a lunchtime debate with a few guys taking GB and a few others taking WB. What do you say?

George Brett

One of five people to amass 3000+ hits, 300+ home runs and hit at least .300 for a career...

Hank Aaron
Stan Musial
Willie Mays
Albert Pujols (average is at .3005)

Wade Boggs, only because the Sunny in Philadelphia episode, which I highly recommend seeing 

Brett. Plus he didn't get married until he was almost done or done playing. How much tail did he get? Im thinking Jeter level. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Brett. Plus he didn't get married until he was almost done or done playing. How much tail did he get? Im thinking Jeter level. 

Boggs got a ton of tail and it didn't matter that he was married.  Remember, he was a sex addict.  

Boggs also supposedly could drink like a fish.  

Some great boggs stats. 

boggs would have to return to baseball and go 0-for-854 for his lifetime batting average to fall below .300.

Led all of baseball in times safely on base for seven straight seasons from 1983 to 1989

In his 58th plate appearance of his career his lifetime batting average hit .328. It never dropped below that mark again. 

This is pretty close to a toss up, but I'll go with Brett.  

Brooks Robinson is in the mix, due to his glove.  

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

This is pretty close to a toss up, but I'll go with Brett.  

Brooks Robinson is right there with them. 

My line of thinking was Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt are 1-2 in either order and Brett and Boggs are battling for the #3 spot. 

• Like 2

I would have to go with Brett, but I would rather have Boggs as a team mate

1 minute ago, BiffTannen said:

My line of thinking was Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt are 1-2 in either order and Brett and Boggs are battling for the #3 spot. 

Brooks is regarded as the best defensive 3rd baseman, but he didn't hit as well as the others.

Schmidt is definitely #1.  Don't sleep on Chipper Jones either.  

48 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Boggs got a ton of tail and it didn't matter that he was married.  Remember, he was a sex addict.  

Boggs also supposedly could drink like a fish.  

Yeah, Margo isn't really what I have  in mind when I think of baseball player level poontang. Boggs was married, less opportunity. Brett was free ranging the whole time. 

Boggs over Brett, by a little.  Brett had about 5 or 6 years with great defense, after that, he was average to below average the rest of the way.  Boggs was always really good.  With respect to errors, Boggs had about 600 more attempts with about 40 less errors than Brett.  Boggs was a better hitter and on base guy, but Brett was a good hitter, but primarily a power guy.

Ranking, would be: 1) Schmidt  2) Boggs  3) Brett  4) Robinson  5)  Jones

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Boggs over Brett, by a little.  Brett had about 5 or 6 years with great defense, after that, he was average to below average the rest of the way.  Boggs was always really good.  With respect to errors, Boggs had about 600 more attempts with about 40 less errors than Brett.  Boggs was a better hitter and on base guy, but Brett was a good hitter, but primarily a power guy.

Ranking, would be: 1) Schmidt  2) Boggs  3) Brett  4) Robinson  5)  Jones

I am more of a Eddie Mathews or Pie Traynor kind of guy.  :ninja:

Wait, people are actually putting Boggs over Brett? Stop it. It's as if none of you watched them play.  Cue stat geeks. And Boston homers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Wait, people are actually putting Boggs over Brett? Stop it. It's as if none of you watched them play.  Cue stat geeks. And Boston homers. 

Boggs could hit, but he wasn't feared as much as Brett...  Except during his steroid season in 1987...

Wade Boggs is overrated because of where he played.  Put him in Anaheim and he's not even in the same ballpark as George Brett.

3 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Wade Boggs is overrated because of where he played.  Put him in Anaheim and he's not even in the same ballpark as George Brett.

Well, because Brett was in the KC ballpark. 

Boggs batted .326 in Anaheim.  

• Like 1

And Brooks Robinson belongs nowhere near this conversation. It's Schmidt and then Brett. Then the debate begins. I'm going Chipper. And don't forget A Hole A Rod. He played 10 plus years at third. I'd rate him higher but I hate him.  Nettles was almost as good a fielder as Brooks Robinson. Splitting hairs but I'll give it to Brooks so I don't have to listen to the bellyaching. 

Wish Rolen could have stayed healthy, dude was special.  Still put up respectable numbers even though he couldn't stay healthy for a full season.

It's Brett, even though they are all battling for second.

38 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I am more of a Eddie Mathews or Pie Traynor kind of guy.  :ninja:

A case can certainly be made for Mathews, no doubt about it.  You're going too far back with Traynor though.  Too much has changed since then.

20 minutes ago, Reality said:

Wish Rolen could have stayed healthy, dude was special.  Still put up respectable numbers even though he couldn't stay healthy for a full season.

It's Brett, even though they are all battling for second.

I'll second that. And I'll take a bevy of third baseman since 1970 over Robinson. He's the Ozzie Smith of third basemen. Except third base isn't as important. 

43 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

From an OPS and WAR point of view, they're virtually identical.  If you prefer HR's, then Brett is your guy.  If you prefer a better hitter and defender, Boggs is your guy.

44 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Brett at Kauffman Stadium had an 0.888 OPS and Boggs had an 0.824.  You'd think that if Brett was that much better, he'd have a bigger advantage... kind of like the one that Boggs has over Brett in Fenway with an 0.991 vs 0.829.  In Anaheim, Boggs has an 0.852 OPS in 369 plate appearances where as Brett is at 0.825 in 492.

48 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And Brooks Robinson belongs nowhere near this conversation. It's Schmidt and then Brett. Then the debate begins. I'm going Chipper. And don't forget A Hole A Rod. He played 10 plus years at third. I'd rate him higher but I hate him.  Nettles was almost as good a fielder as Brooks Robinson. Splitting hairs but I'll give it to Brooks so I don't have to listen to the bellyaching. 

A-Rod wasn't that good defensively at 3B.  In fact, he was pretty bad.

56 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And don't forget A Hole A Rod. He played 10 plus years at third. 

Talk about someone who doesn’t belong in this conversation.  He was a short stop that moved to 3rd to appease Jeter and the Yankees.   

These other guys all played 18-20+ years at 3rd. 

17 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A-Rod wasn't that good defensively at 3B.  In fact, he was pretty bad.

Ooof. Never heard that one before. 

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Talk about someone who doesn’t belong in this conversation.  He was a short stop that moved to 3rd to appease Jeter and the Yankees.   

Yet A rod managed 350 Hrs after he switched. Oh yeah, a couple of MVP's  as well.  I'd say he belongs. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yet A rod managed 350 Hrs after he switched. Oh yeah, a couple of MVP's  as well.  I'd say he belongs. 

I say he doesn’t.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

"Appease" Jeter. Lol.  First Ballot HOF'rs with 5 rings don't get appeased. HTH 

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

I say he doesn’t.  

Why? He played the posistion, and not for a little while. I hate him too, but come on. You sound like one of these people who can't acknowledge how great Tom Brady is because they hate him. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

"Appease" Jeter. Lol.  First Ballot HOF'rs with 5 rings don't get appeased. HTH 

Are you claiming that Jeter was a better defensive short stop than ARod at the time of that trade?  I thought you knew something about baseball.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

A-Roid had 287 HR playing as a third baseman...

Just now, posty said:

I said after the switch,  focknuts. Read. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why? He played the posistion, and not for a little while. I hate him too, but come on. You sound like one of these people who can't acknowledge how great Tom Brady is because they hate him. 

I’m saying he doesn’t have enough time in at 3rd to be on this list.  I do hate him, but also acknowledge his greatness.    

Making the shift halfway through his career hurts him for the purposes of these rankings   

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I said after the switch,  focknuts. Read. 

Switch to the Yankees or switch to 3B?

Since we were talking 3B, I am assuming we are talking about switching to 3B...

5 minutes ago, posty said:

BFD. It's still a shitload of Hr's. And I'm sure Brett and others managed to hit a few out of posostion or at DH. 

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Are you claiming that Jeter was a better defensive short stop than ARod at the time of that trade?  I thought you knew something about baseball.  

Are you claiming that the Yankees would have been a better team with A Rod at short and Jeter at third? Because they were pretty freakin good, in case you missed the 2000's. 

Fockin Yankme fans suck so hard

• Like 1