Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Redshirting

My son is 5 and is getting ready to go into Kindergarten.  I have been pushing his mom to redshirt him and keep him out for another year. Send him to preschool again to work on his spelling and his overall attention span.  If we did it before he even started school he would not even notice and it would not cause a hit to his confidence if he struggled in kindergarten.  He is not picking up on his letters like I want him to and I think an extra year would give him a boost. 

Has anyone had any experience with this? 

He'll be more experienced and the girls in his grade will be a year younger.  Win-Win!

Send him to school...  Maybe he is having problems with the preschool teachers and things will right itself when he starts kindergarten in the fall...

I wasn't redshirted, but having a November birthday made me one of the older ones in my class. It would suck to be one of the kids with a spring/summer b-day that gets sent right in and be one of the youngest. 

• Like 1

Both of my kids had this situation.  We had a thing called "transition" where it was this year in school between kindergarten and first grade.  Essentially, they prep the kids for school and let them mature a little.  

My oldest had a speech delay, so he was getting some assistance even in preschool and was on an IEP (individual education plan).  We thought he would be perfect for doing transition because he was not quite ready for first grade as he was just too immature.  Well, the special education folks try to game the system, so they tell us that he doesn't need transition and that he would be better off going into first grade.  Well, 12 years later, we wish he had done transition. Would have been perfect for him.

Well, 2 years later our youngest is in a similar situation.  Except he is a few months younger and would be really young for the grade, but he has no speech delays and is ahead of the curve in that respect.  They tell us that they really think that he should do transition (must fit their numbers better).  We say that we are moving him on to first grade so that I can get him off my books 1 year sooner in the future.  Fast forward to now, he is heading into junior year and I asked him if he would have wanted to do transition and he says, "F$ck No" because the class behind him is not nearly as the class he is in.  The conversation had started because a kid in the class below him was older than him and his parents are keeping him back so that he can go to a private school.  The kid is going to be 20 years old when he graduates HS and my son will still be 17.  :lol:

When is his birthday?

When the cut off date?

Do you feel he is already “behind” his peers academically?

20 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

My son is 5 and is getting ready to go into Kindergarten.  I have been pushing his mom to redshirt him and keep him out for another year. Send him to preschool again to work on his spelling and his overall attention span.  If we did it before he even started school he would not even notice and it would not cause a hit to his confidence if he struggled in kindergarten.  He is not picking up on his letters like I want him to and I think an extra year would give him a boost. 

My wife is a teacher and holding off for one more year pays off the majority of the time.  I'd hold him out if he's on that threshold.

23 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Drizzay is right on this.  Boys develop/grow later and slower than girls.  Keep him back the year and even out the playing field from a maturity/development perspective.  The back end perk, is the bonus.  Because he'll be a year older, he'll be more attractive to the girls in his class.

Send him on time, he will learn as he goes. Trial by fire. Being the older kid or younger kid in class is awkward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Sounds racist. as I am 0.000000001% Cherokee, I'm offended. I propose the word redshirt be changed to something else.

On that note, check out the FBP thread. Pure comedy. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/777229-using-the-word-owner-for-fantasy-sports-teams-what-do-you-think/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-22016643

Joe Bryant is such a poooosay. I haven't been to DC since the 8th grade, but I have half a mind to be a REDSKINS fan just to offend people. 

• Haha 3

My wife is a first grade teacher. Here is what she says.

There is a huge difference in kids who have early bday vs later bdays. At the end of the day if you can wait to send your kid to school you should. They will be better students, and it will help them later with athletics.

Studies have backed up waiting as long as you can. That being said your kid will probably be fine, but if it where me I would wait.

• Like 1

My son started K at age 4. Bday at the end of October. He went to preschool before that. So he was always one of the youngest in his grade. It never made one bit of difference academically, athletically or socially. He is 21 now and lives like any other normal 21 year old. You are over thinking it, trust me based on experiencing it. 

10 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

My wife is a first grade teacher. Here is what she says.

There is a huge difference in kids who have early bday vs later bdays. At the end of the day if you can wait to send your kid to school you should. They will be better students, and it will help them later with athletics.

Studies have backed up waiting as long as you can. That being said your kid will probably be fine, but if it where me I would wait.

Kanil said essentially the same and I agree with you both.  If you can hold them back that one year, it helps.  Now, don't try to game the system and think holding them back 2 years would be even better.  At some point, things will get out of hand.  

For my youngest, it would have been better for him to stay back academically and athletics-wise.  However, he would have ended up with a worse group of kids, so some of it is just plain luck.  

32 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

When is his birthday?

When the cut off date?

Do you feel he is already “behind” his peers academically?

I absolutely do. I am working with him on his letters and I am getting him a tutor for the next month or so 4-5 hours a week working on his letters but I do not feel like its sinking in no matter what I do. 

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

I absolutely do. I am working with him on his letters and I am getting him a tutor for the next month or so 4-5 hours a week working on his letters but I do not feel like its sinking in no matter what I do. 

Then don't push it.  He is not going to be a 12 year old still working on his letters.  There is a huge push to have kids achieving the most when they are the youngest.  It is a marathon, not a sprint.  

Of course, my oldest is a ditch digger, so what the hell do I know.  :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Then don't push it.  He is not going to be a 12 year old still working on his letters.  There is a huge push to have kids achieving the most when they are the youngest.  It is a marathon, not a sprint.  

Of course, my oldest is a ditch digger, so what the hell do I know.  :dunno:

Don't give up on him. I worked concrete and heavy equipment construction from 18-25 until I decided to go back to school and get my chemical engineering degree.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Don't give up on him. I worked concrete and heavy equipment construction from 18-25 until I decided to go back to school and get my chemical engineering degree.

Oh, I don't give up on him.  School was never his thing, but he is a hard worker.  He will be fine.  He is a good kid, too.  I just hope he learns how to not blow his money.  :lol:

If his birthday is close to the cutoff and you feel his is behind his peers, then sure, why not?

Tough call.  My youngest son's bday is Aug. 23, my oldest's is Sept 22.  The cutoff dated is Sept. 1 and we started them both on time. They are 1 year and 11 months apart, but only one grade apart.

My oldest is definitely a better student and has never struggled in school.  Straight A's through 5th grade.  My youngest has to work much harder to stay on the principal's list.  Hard to say if another year would have helped him academically though.  They're just wired differently.  My oldest is a voracious reader, but my youngest can take it or leave it.

My youngest is a much better athlete and is already the same size as his older brother.  

52 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Oh, I don't give up on him.  School was never his thing, but he is a hard worker.  He will be fine.  He is a good kid, too.  I just hope he learns how to not blow his money.  :lol:

He gets a good union gig with a pension he'll be great ...in fact probably better off than the majority of college kids these days.

3 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

Joe Bryant is such a poooosay. 

[/thread]

My daughter was struggling with her letters. By the end of the year she was reading at a 1st grade level and scored in the 95 percentile  in the standard test everyone takes.

We are in a good school district. My wife and I worked with her throughout the school year and she went from barely knowing all the letters to where she is now.

If hes in preschool maybe the all day kindergarten will help him more than you think.

Either way I stand by waiting but it's not the worse thing to start kindergarten at his current state. Hell he's probably ahead of the 30% of the class already

• Thanks 1

If I could I’d do it. Would make him more competitive with kids in his grade

I would keep him back, I wish i wasnt the youngest in my class, I could have been a year later.

I was playing Varsity baseball on a nationally ranked team as a freshman, when most kids my age were in 8th grade

I could have been someone if I had another year in HS

I think it's total BS. My son is very close to the cut off. He's going. Sink or swim sonny boy.  The ones that do this are most likely raising puzzies.  

I was one of the oldest with a Sept birthday in my class while my sister, almost 2 full years younger was only a grade behind me. She has an August birthday. School was always easy enough for me while she needed a tutor for years. She struggled pretty hard in some subjects.

Fast forward to now, I'm a tradesman and she has the masters degree. I think it definitely makes a difference. My daughter is doing 2 years of pre school before K, but she will start on time. I think she will be fine. Even if I was a little nervous about how my daughter would do, I think my sister learned how to study her ass off because of her early deficiencies. I never had to study, so I was a little lost on what to do when i got to college.

I think the important thing to reward is effort. It trumps results imo. From reading a few books and seeing the way my sister's education ended up compared to mine, I wish I had been put more effort into school. I got As and Bs, so my parents were happy.

In doing this with my kids. I reward them for not giving up on puzzles or working hard on things. I think it's important to see how hard your kid is working and build their confidence in that. Make sure that they know results are important for sure, but if they are maxing out their effort, that is the most important and the results will come.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think it's total BS. My son is very close to the cut off. He's going. Sink or swim sonny boy.  The ones that do this are most likely raising puzzies.  

That was how I felt 10 years ago. Not so sure now. Each way has a path to success, so it is not a sole determinant.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

That was how I felt 10 years ago. Not so sure now. Each way has a path to success, so it is not a sole determinant.

I say that about the parents that do it for sports purposes. When I played JV football, I was 15 and we had a few 17 year olds on the team. They were only a year ahead in school but 2 years in age. It was garbage. Of course I got my playing time, but some others  had theirs cut. But we did go 7-2. Still BS. 

This does happen.

I am aware of parents planning births to coincide with the span of months that tend to help a kid do better in a certain sport.   There are studies that show a kid born within a given range of months will fare better in a given sport.

I am ware of parents holding their kids back for sports.   Hell, a friend of mine is having his son who is in high school spend a year at a private school, but not progress to the next grade level to give him a chance to get a little bigger for recruiting purposes. Same guy flies his kid to Michigan every week for lacrosse practice on a club team there.

It happens, people are focking nuts....

12 minutes ago, RLLD said:

This does happen.

I am aware of parents planning births to coincide with the span of months that tend to help a kid do better in a certain sport.   There are studies that show a kid born within a given range of months will fare better in a given sport.

I am ware of parents holding their kids back for sports.   Hell, a friend of mine is having his son who is in high school spend a year at a private school, but not progress to the next grade level to give him a chance to get a little bigger for recruiting purposes. Same guy flies his kid to Michigan every week for lacrosse practice on a club team there.

It happens, people are focking nuts....

The private schools here will take kids who would have been freshmen and have them repeat 8th grade and kids who would have been sophomores start as freshmen.  That is standard, not something that they look at the kids grades or birth date or anything like that.  You just start out a year behind where you were.  :lol:

9 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The private schools here will take kids who would have been freshmen and have them repeat 8th grade and kids who would have been sophomores start as freshmen.  That is standard, not something that they look at the kids grades or birth date or anything like that.  You just start out a year behind where you were.  :lol:

Around here, its a "thing" to try to do this kind of stuff.....too many parents are heavily invested in their kids prominence in high school, its a pecking order thing, its creepy...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Around here, its a "thing" to try to do this kind of stuff.....too many parents are heavily invested in their kids prominence in high school, its a pecking order thing, its creepy...

It is why youth leagues go age-based instead of grade based.  My son is the second youngest in his class and he has kids who are 18 months older in his grade.  Some of it is planned by crazy parents and some it just works out that way from when they were younger.  The former groups are a little creepy.  

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It is why youth leagues go age-based instead of grade based.  My son is the second youngest in his class and he has kids who are 18 months older in his grade.  Some of it is planned by crazy parents and some it just works out that way from when they were younger.  The former groups are a little creepy.  

Right.   Club teams go by "grade level" because its a recruiting-based venture, rec teams go by age.....

What I have seen is that at this point the rec leagues have been really watered down.  It used to be that you had these levels of competition around the metro area, and these leagues held considerable talent and competition.  Now... the rec leagues look like pee-wee level play, all the kids with any talent at all are playing club....

20 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Right.   Club teams go by "grade level" because its a recruiting-based venture, rec teams go by age.....

What I have seen is that at this point the rec leagues have been really watered down.  It used to be that you had these levels of competition around the metro area, and these leagues held considerable talent and competition.  Now... the rec leagues look like pee-wee level play, all the kids with any talent at all are playing club....

At the National level, people are going age-based and have for quite some time (8U, 10U, 12U, etc.) for rec and club teams.  It was done a while back because states like Texas and CA had a ton of kids that were very old for their grades.  

I dont care about the athletic aspect. I want him to be prepared for school and not struggle like I did.

All jokes aside I would be retarded if not for the hardy boy books. One day out of the blue. I did something everyone tells you not to. I judged a book by its cover.  We had to pick out a book. Had to or you got paddled. I pretended to read the book. But the more i pretended. The more I actually read. By the end of my 3rd grade year I was done with the series and on to actual books. By the 5th i was reading novels and classics. 

It took me till the 3rd grade for reading to kick in. I struggled soooo much before then and I don't want him to have that. 

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

At the National level, people are going age-based and have for quite some time (8U, 10U, 12U, etc.) for rec and club teams.  It was done a while back because states like Texas and CA had a ton of kids that were very old for their grades.  

I think the rec leagues have always been age, its only the club arena where they go by grade,

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

I dont care about the athletic aspect. I want him to be prepared for school and not struggle like I did.

All jokes aside I would be retarded if not for the hardy boy books. One day out of the blue. I did something everyone tells you not to. I judged a book by its cover.  We had to pick out a book. Had to or you got paddled. I pretended to read the book. But the more i pretended. The more I actually read. By the end of my 3rd grade year I was done with the series and on to actual books. By the 5th i was reading novels and classics. 

It took me till the 3rd grade for reading to kick in. I struggled soooo much before then and I don't want him to have that. 

I had the entire set of Hardy Boy books!!   I also read the Nancy Drew ones, but I mainly focused on westerns, mostly Louis Lamor, but then drifted into Clive Cussler before delving into the typical poets.....then I got heavy into historical texts....

• Thanks 1