Sign in to follow this  
MDC

When do you know it’s time to put your pet to sleep?

My dog is 11 years old - not ancient but definitely in the golden years. He lost an eye 4 years ago and he’s a little arthritic but otherwise in good shape and doesn’t seem to be in pain.

Just in the last year he’s started to infrequently piss in the house, about once a month in the (tiled) kitchen at least, despite getting 3 good walks a day. This happens overnight and his last walk is late, sometimes 8 but usually 10. We let him in the yard to piss a few times a day too.

I can tolerate this but definitely wouldn’t keep a dog who can’t hold it overnight. If this started happening once a week or more I’d have to think about either re-homing him or having him put down.

Anybody else go through this? My wife had a (diabetic) cat put to sleep for the same reason years ago but that situation had gotten much worse. Plus, it’s a focking cat. 

I would talk to the veterinarian and see what they suggest...  But if the dog can't hold urine, there could be some problems with the kidneys... 

Might want to consider not giving him water after a certain time in the evening.  

See a vet.  Not sure that 11 is the right age, because it depends on the particular animal.  There are plenty of things that you can do to help out an aging dog.  

That's a tough one. Both our dogs are 13 so I know we'll be in a similar boat soon.  Agree that the vet should take a look to rule out a medical issue vs just old age. 

Good luck. 

I wouldn't put down a pet that is still enjoying life.  I consider my pets part of the family and certainly wouldn't put a member of my family down just because of incontinence issues.  You can get pee pads for when he has to go in the house.

4 minutes ago, posty said:

I would talk to the veterinarian and see what they suggest...  But if the dog can't hold urine, there could be some problems with the kidneys... 

I had a dobberman that the vet told me was going to have to be put down soon. I looked into homeopathic for her. I started cooking for her and she lived a long time. It wasn't a big deal. Big pot of Rice and ground turkey. What is in dog food are things like tumors they find on the meat. 

Is there a way to make him an area to sleep in the garage?  They sell those puppy training pads at Sams Club relatively cheap.  Maybe have him sleep out there so at least he's not peeing in the house.

One of our dogs almost died several years back.  She's a little eating machine so we knew something was up when she stopped eating.  Luckily one of the vets at the 24 hr place - - since of course emergencies always happen at night on the weekends when it's most expensive - - had a hunch that it could be Addison's disease.  Addison is a condition related to one of the glands not creating enough of a certain hormone or something. He was right and all we do is give her a little bit of prednisone orally via a dropper every morning, plus a shot at vet once month.  Easy peasy and cheap since you can get it at Costco. 

Hopefully your case will be something easily managed like this. 

Have had to do it many times....... as painful as it is, it's part of the deal that comes with loving one for so long.

* When they can't control their valves

* When they can't breathe

* When they are wasting away from not eating

* When they physical can't move from pain

This is when it's time to let them go.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

My dog is 11 years old - not ancient but definitely in the golden years. He lost an eye 4 years ago and he’s a little arthritic but otherwise in good shape and doesn’t seem to be in pain.

Just in the last year he’s started to infrequently piss in the house, about once a month in the (tiled) kitchen at least, despite getting 3 good walks a day. This happens overnight and his last walk is late, sometimes 8 but usually 10. We let him in the yard to piss a few times a day too.

I can tolerate this but definitely wouldn’t keep a dog who can’t hold it overnight. If this started happening once a week or more I’d have to think about either re-homing him or having him put down.

Anybody else go through this? My wife had a (diabetic) cat put to sleep for the same reason years ago but that situation had gotten much worse. Plus, it’s a focking cat. 

Our line was "daily life".  We put our dog down when all she did was sleep.  Rarely ate.  Rarely had to go to the bathroom.  Rarely walked around.  Was pretty much a shell.

Is it possible the dog just has a bladder issue/infection?  If it's something significant like organ failure, then sadly, putting him down would be the best option.  If can be improved with medication, then if he's still mobile and fairly active, then that would be the best most, to start with.

Put our 13 year old lab down about 2 months ago.  She had nerve issues from a relatively minor surgery.  She was incontinent for approximately 3 months before we decided to put her down.  Vet tried laser treatments (not exactly sure what it was), but it didn't work.

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

When they lose interest in peanut butter slathered pen!ses? 

:blink:

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

When they lose interest in peanut butter slathered pen!ses? 

Same reason I put my wife down.  It was best for both of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weird I almost posted this same type thread today... Our pennydoodle's days are numbered, gots the big C. Still acting fine but I suspect the end will present itself before the end of the year if not sooner.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

Weird I almost posted this same type thread today... Our pennydoodle's days are numbered, gots the big C. Still acting fine but I suspect the end will present itself before the end of the year if not sooner.

Sorry to hear that. 

The bottom line is that the right thing to do is usually the hardest thing to do. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Our line was "daily life".  We put our dog down when all she did was sleep.  Rarely ate.  Rarely had to go to the bathroom.  Rarely walked around.  Was pretty much a shell.

Is it possible the dog just has a bladder issue/infection?  If it's something significant like organ failure, then sadly, putting him down would be the best option.  If can be improved with medication, then if he's still mobile and fairly active, then that would be the best most, to start with.

Possible. I would / will definitely get him checked out before making a decision to put him down. Just wondering if anyone else got rid of a pet almost solely cause of bathroom stuff.

8 minutes ago, MDC said:

Possible. I would / will definitely get him checked out before making a decision to put him down. Just wondering if anyone else got rid of a pet almost solely cause of bathroom stuff.

Hope it's definitely something manageable and not any type of organ failure.  It's tough to put pets down.  Good luck.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Hope it's definitely something manageable and not any type of organ failure.  It's tough to put pets down.  Good luck.

Thanks

I have a cat that won't f'ing die! My oldest daughter's cat that latched onto me for some reason. Couch, bed, you name it...he's with me. So when she moved out, she left him with me.

Started the whole peeing/crapping in random parts of the house. Took him to the vet and found out he had severe diabetes. Vet says give him 2 shots a day, 8 units each. I give him the first shot and within 10 min, he's walking in circles followed by horror movie cat screams, following by spasms and he stops breathing. I wrap him in a blanket, give him to the crying wife and drive towards the animal hospital. During the trip, he starts breathing twice, flips out, then 'dies' again. I thought for sure he was done. Get him to the hospital, they put an IV in him and in seconds he sits up and meows. 

Turns out the vet prescribed way too much insulin. Hospital docs asked me 3 times "you sure he said 8 units?". I finally went to the car and grabbed the insulin. "Look dudes...8 units". They showed me the formula for a cat's weight and he should have been getting 2 units twice a day. Anyway, he's happy and kicking with no signs of going away soon. 

For your dog, hope it turns out well. Put down my Golden 4 years ago and it was possibly the worst few hours of my life. I've lost family members that didn't affect me that much. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shovelheadt said:

I have a cat that won't f'ing die! My oldest daughter's cat that latched onto me for some reason. Couch, bed, you name it...he's with me. So when she moved out, she left him with me.

Started the whole peeing/crapping in random parts of the house. Took him to the vet and found out he had severe diabetes. Vet says give him 2 shots a day, 8 units each. I give him the first shot and within 10 min, he's walking in circles followed by horror movie cat screams, following by spasms and he stops breathing. I wrap him in a blanket, give him to the crying wife and drive towards the animal hospital. During the trip, he starts breathing twice, flips out, then 'dies' again. I thought for sure he was done. Get him to the hospital, they put an IV in him and in seconds he sits up and meows. 

Turns out the vet prescribed way too much insulin. Hospital docs asked me 3 times "you sure he said 8 units?". I finally went to the car and grabbed the insulin. "Look dudes...8 units". They showed me the formula for a cat's weight and he should have been getting 2 units twice a day. Anyway, he's happy and kicking with no signs of going away soon. 

For your dog, hope it turns out well. Put down my Golden 4 years ago and it was possibly the worst few hours of my life. I've lost family members that didn't affect me that much. 

Ever think the vet was doing you a favor prescribing 8 units?  You just had to go and fock it up, didn't you?

1 hour ago, shovelheadt said:

Is it wrong that I laughed at this story? I sort of hate cats.

1 hour ago, shovelheadt said:

I know what you mean. Maybe it's because you have to make the call. IDK. But it sucks. 

It's a quality of life issue. Their's, not your's. When they are no longer happy and seem to enjoy being alive. When they seldom eat or drink or do anything but sleep. Those are good indicators.

As far as peeing in the house at night, maybe you should pull his water at a certain time or, if that doesn't work, the pee pad thing is a decent option. 

But if the guy is just lethargic for the most part and/or is in any kind of pain that requires continuous medication, I'd opt for putting him down. As hard of a decision it is to make, you don't want to wait so long that his obvious suffering makes the decision for you.  

6 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

It's a quality of life issue. Their's, not your's. When they are no longer happy and seem to enjoy being alive. When they seldom eat or drink or do anything but sleep. Those are good indicators.

As far as peeing in the house at night, maybe you should pull his water at a certain time or, if that doesn't work, the pee pad thing is a decent option. 

But if the guy is just lethargic for the most part and/or is in any kind of pain that requires continuous medication, I'd opt for putting him down. As hard of a decision it is to make, you don't want to wait so long that his obvious suffering makes the decision for you.  

I know a lady from work that kept her sick cat alive for like 16 years because she couldn't let go. She admittedly spent more than $12,000 on surgeries to keep the cat alive. I cut ties with her because I didn't want to tell her what a douche move that was for a sick cat to have to remain alive for an extra few years to accommodate the owner's mental state.

3 hours ago, sderk said:

I know a lady from work that kept her sick cat alive for like 16 years because she couldn't let go. She admittedly spent more than $12,000 on surgeries to keep the cat alive. I cut ties with her because I didn't want to tell her what a douche move that was for a sick cat to have to remain alive for an extra few years to accommodate the owner's mental state.

It really is a shame. People hold onto pets long after they should thinking their pets need them. What their pets need is for them to step up and make the hard decision that they can't make for themselves. 

The problem is knowing when it's time to make that call. It sucks to have to make it. It sucks worse when you wait too long to make it. :(

7 hours ago, kutulu said:

Damn I think I remember you posting when you got that dog. Time sure does zoom by. Sorry to hear that :(

11 hours ago, Cruzer said:

* When they are wasting away from not eating

* When they physical can't move from pain

This is when it's time to let them go.

This with both my kittendoodles :(

Not only did I cry when they passed, I really focking cried. uncontrollable sobbing and such for wayyy to long. Or mebbe not long enough :dunno:

Tonight I was at my across the street neighbors house playing / petting / giving loves to their Golden Retriever that is unfortunately riddled with cancer and will prolly pass away soon, but for an hour or so, both of us felt like everything in the world is ok right now.  Best feeling in the world.

Sorry for making this a look at me post, but I guess it's the empathy for your situation.  Sorry bro :(

6 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

This when Hillary lost the election in 2016.

Not only did I cry, I really focking cried. uncontrollable sobbing and such for wayyy to long.

Sorry? I guess? :dunno:

31 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Not only did I cry when they passed, I really focking cried. uncontrollable sobbing and such for wayyy to long. Or mebbe not long enough :dunno:

Tonight I was at my across the street neighbors house playing / petting / giving loves to their Golden Retriever that is unfortunately riddled with cancer and will prolly pass away soon, but for an hour or so, both of us felt like everything in the world is ok right now.  Best feeling in the world.

Sorry for making this a look at me post, but I guess it's the empathy for your situation.  Sorry bro :(

I'm gonna be an absolute focking mess when the inevitable happens with our dogs. 

when they Vote Democrat

I personally wish there were a service that would pick up your aging dog and cart them off to a sweet little Canine Summer Camp so they could enjoy their retirement before being put down. It would be so much easier that way. 

10 hours ago, MDC said:

Why don't you just hook him up with some H? Let him nod off peacefully into the afterlife. Shouldn't be a problem copping in Philadelphia.  Wait, you were afraid to buy pot. Forget it. 

9 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

No man, losing a pet is brutally painful. I'm upset for weeks after having lost one.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

No man, losing a pet is brutally painful. I'm upset for weeks after having lost one.

It’s like losing a family member. Unless your family member is retarded. Then they’re more like livestock and losing a pet is worse. 

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

It’s like losing a family member. Unless your family member is retarded. Then they’re more like livestock and losing a pet is worse. 

Yes it is, because they are a part of the family. I hope everything works out for your little guy. Is his name McNabb? 

• Haha 1

You guys are killing me.  Our dog is only 1 1/2 and you've already got me dreading the day I have to deal with this.  Best wishes to MDC and all others who are currently in this situation.