Sign in to follow this  
California city votes to ban gendered words as 'manhole' becomes 'maintenance hole'...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-city-votes-ban-gendered-134954937.html

A California city voted to ban some gender-specific words in its city code and replace them with gender-neutral options.

Berkeley's municipal code will no longer feature words like "manhole" and "manpower," and instead say, "maintenance hole" and "human effort" or "workforce." The measure passed unanimously Tuesday and replaces more than two dozen terms.

Gender-specific references to job titles, like "policeman" and "craftsmen," will also be changed in the code, to "police officer" and "craftspeople" or "artisans."  

"Sorority" and "fraternity" would change to "collegiate Greek system residence." And the use of gendered pronouns, like "he" and "she," would be replaced with specific titles, like "the attorney" or "the candidate."

Rigel Robinson, the council member who proposed the measure, praised its passage in a tweet Tuesday.

"There is power in language. This is a small move, but it matters," he tweeted.

According to Berkeleyside, the measure will cost the city up to $600 to change its code.

Sad that this takes priority over the homeless that are there...

Wait...  Should I have said something like "housing challenged" or "vertical wall-less"?

• Haha 1

Phags 

1 minute ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

I am offended by the word hole. 

Street orifice 

Just now, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

mmmmm. Could be a street walker. 

Don't use the term blowjob b/c that is offensive to the unemployed. We will not refer to that act as a mouth enacted orgasm. 

10 minutes ago, posty said:

Sad that this takes priority over the homeless that are there...

Wait...  Should I have said something like "housing challenged" or "vertical wall-less"?

I think 'challenged' is a bit of a cut down and isolating. They need to have a supportive positive designation in this universe.  Maybe 'Fully Saturated Earth Dwellers', or 'Nature Empowered Entities'. Or even 'Boundless Souls'.

1 minute ago, sderk said:

I think 'challenged' is a bit of a cut down and isolating. They need to have a supportive positive designation in this universe.  Maybe 'Fully Saturated Earth Dwellers', or 'Nature Empowered Entities'. Or even 'Boundless Souls'.

Oh damn it...  How very insensitive of me...

Thank you for the correction...

(ETA:  Is "you" the proper pronoun?")

9 minutes ago, sderk said:

The Left has coined them “Curbside Communities”.

Just now, frank said:

:nono:

I am going to be frank with you, i do not like the quote manipulations.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am going to be frank with you, i do not like the quote manipulations.

personipulations  :nono:

14 minutes ago, posty said:

Oh damn it...  How very insensitive of me...

Thank you for the correction...

(ETA:  Is "you" the proper pronoun?")

"You" is extremely personal and don't think it should ever be used except for people in really tight relationships. I mean, when you say 'you' to me, then how do I know that you mean me as I am me and not as how you are referring to me when you say 'you'. Seriously,  what point of reference and perspective are you drawing upon when you say 'you' to me by referring to me as 'you'?

Frankly, it's offensive. And I'm sorry if your name isn't Frank but I'm quite rattled right now as you can imagine. See?! Now you got me saying 'you' now. Exasperating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sderk said:

"You" is extremely personal and don't think it should ever be used except for people in really tight relationships. I mean, when you say 'you' to me, then how do I know that you mean me as I am me and not as how you are referring to me when you say 'you'. Seriously,  what point of reference and perspective are you drawing upon when you say 'you' to me by referring to me as 'you'?

Frankly, it's offensive. And I'm sorry if your name isn't Frank but I'm quite rattled right now as you can imagine. See?! Now you got me saying 'you' now. Exasperating. 

:first:

Here is a participation trophy...  Feel better?

48 minutes ago, posty said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-city-votes-ban-gendered-134954937.html

A California city voted to ban some gender-specific words in its city code and replace them with gender-neutral options.

Berkeley's municipal code will no longer feature words like "manhole" and "manpower," and instead say, "maintenance hole" and "human effort" or "workforce." The measure passed unanimously Tuesday and replaces more than two dozen terms.

Gender-specific references to job titles, like "policeman" and "craftsmen," will also be changed in the code, to "police officer" and "craftspeople" or "artisans."  

"Sorority" and "fraternity" would change to "collegiate Greek system residence." And the use of gendered pronouns, like "he" and "she," would be replaced with specific titles, like "the attorney" or "the candidate."

Rigel Robinson, the council member who proposed the measure, praised its passage in a tweet Tuesday.

"There is power in language. This is a small move, but it matters," he tweeted.

According to Berkeleyside, the measure will cost the city up to $600 to change its code.

Do they have to rename the bar you were telling me you loved to frequent there?

24 minutes ago, posty said:

:first:

Here is a participation trophy...  Feel better?

Thank entity. That does make me feel included and respected.

it's some new crazy chit everyday!  :bangs head: 

when will it be legal to choke these mothrafockers? 

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

it's some new crazy chit everyday!  :bangs head: 

when will it be legal to choke these mothrafockers? 

I think "mother" might not be allowed...  Should probably go with personfockers?

:dunno:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, posty said:

I think "mother" might not be allowed...  Should probably go with personfockers?

:dunno:

Person?  

I think you mean perperson.  :nono:

i prefer bunghole.

• Haha 1

These new rules put a real damper on mom jokes.

"I banged the person who identifies as female and gave birth to you" just doesn't flow as well. 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

"I banged the person who identifies as female and gave birth to you" just doesn't flow as well. 

"I just briefly integrated with the existence that identifies as the base biological spawing component of your existing earthly presence."

So there!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DonS said:

"I banged had consensual relations the person who identifies as female and gave birth to you" just doesn't flow as well. 

:nono:

7 minutes ago, sderk said:

"I just briefly integrated with the existence that identifies as the base biological spawing component of your existing earthly presence."

So there!

:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, joeshushu said:

No more manwich.  It will be peoplewich? 

Peoplewiccan 

Ha! And to think there's some diks over in the Chris Pratt thread acting like this crap isn't widespread. 

3 hours ago, taco breath said:

i prefer bunghole.

Newbie? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mookz said:

Person?  

I think you mean perperson.  :nono:

I don't know...  I can't keep track any more what is considered good and what is considered bad...

19 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Newbie? 

no, im picky.

• Haha 1

Should not be long before they have meetings on eliminating the word 'hole' as well.

42 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Should not be long before they have meetings on eliminating the word 'hole' as well

Subterranean ingress/egress points

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

sounds racist 

13 minutes ago, DonS said:

8 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

sounds racist 

Sure does.  Sub anything is degrading.

I would have thought the word "policeman" would have replaced with "antifa".  Maybe not YET...