Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Miami and Key West Geeks

Wife and I will be heading to Miami and Key West next week. Looking for any helpful info you guys have. I know I plan on going to Little Havana while in Miami as well as the beaches. Anything in either place that we can’t miss doing or seeing? 

I am heading to Big Munson for a week.....I doubt I will see you....

Michael's in Key West is awesome if you want a nice place.

There is a tourist trap called Conch Republic, food is meh but on occasion they have tempura fried strawberries.  Unbelievably good.  

Find a good cuban restaurant.

It's been about 20 years, but in key west i liked  called Louie's Backyard and mangoes for restaurants.  For bars, Irish kevin's, the one at the point where you watch the sunset (also did a sunset sail), and hog's breath, and sloppy joe's (i am a Hemingway fan).

I just jumped on yelp and there is a rum bar and tiki bar...... as a personal guilty pleasure i would try to hit those.

16 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It's been about 20 years, but in key west i liked  called Louie's Backyard and mangoes for restaurants.  For bars, Irish kevin's, the one at the point where you watch the sunset (also did a sunset sail), and hog's breath, and sloppy joe's (i am a Hemingway fan).

I just jumped on yelp and there is a rum bar and tiki bar...... as a personal guilty pleasure i would try to hit those.

I was at Louie's earlier this year.  It is still good but not as good as it use to be. 

Irish Kevin's is a great time.  Capt. Tony's (aka the original Sloppy Joe's) is also a cool place. 

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

I was at Louie's earlier this year.  It is still good but not as good as it use to be. 

Irish Kevin's is a great time.  Capt. Tony's (aka the original Sloppy Joe's) is also a cool place. 

👍

15 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I wanted to go to the Ernest Hemingway museum but of course my wife said no 😩

Why?  and go by yourself... quick self tour if I recall.

12 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Why?  and go by yourself... quick self tour if I recall.

Eh I thought about it but we will be doing other stuff so I won’t have time. It was either that or clear bottom kayaking. We ended up choosing the kayaking lol 

I am ambitious and would do both.  

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I am ambitious and would do both.  

You’re also not a pathological liar who tries to make people think he’s well read or cultured by pretending to be interested in the Hemingway museum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think I ever read Hemingway.  My HS American Lit teacher hated him with the passion of a thousand burning suns, she was not shy about it.  A friend of mine (mostly A student) decided to do his final report on Hemingway anyway.  Teacher gave him a C-.  I think he learned an important life lesson that day.  :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I don't think I ever read Hemingway.  My HS American Lit teacher hated him with the passion of a thousand burning suns, she was not shy about it.  A friend of mine (mostly A student) decided to do his final report on Hemingway anyway.  Teacher gave him a C-.  I think he learned an important life lesson that day.  :thumbsup:

:lol:  

My sophomore english class in high school was major american authors. I believe over the course of two semesters we covered 12 or so. One of my favorite lit courses. Hemingway was not a wonderful author, but was still impactful in the writing world and as a 14/15 year old male it was hard not to like his content.

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

My sophomore english class in high school was major american authors. I believe over the course of two semesters we covered 12 or so. One of my favorite lit courses. Hemingway was not a wonderful author, but was still impactful in the writing world and as a 14/15 year old male it was hard not to like his content.

As I think about it, she was actually our English lit teacher our junior year, but you could do your final term paper on any author.  So my friend went extra out of his way to troll her.  Phayle.  :lol:

I went down to Captain Tony's

To get out of the heat

I heard a voice call out to me

"Son, come have a seat"

5 hours ago, vuduchile said:

You’re also not a pathological liar who tries to make people think he’s well read or cultured by pretending to be interested in the Hemingway museum.  

He’s also not a jealous loser who gets upset other people are living their lives and also actually have an appreciation for things like literature. Never mind the fact that I had already mentioned the Hemingway museum and my interest in going. EDIT: (plus the museum/home has like 40-50 six toed cats there which is what I’m using to convince my wife to go with me there since she isn’t a big fan of reading) 

Seriously dude, don’t understand what your major malfunction is but you really need to work on it. 

Now, serious question. Have you been? If so, what is honestly a place or attraction that we should see? Cause I really would like your serious input if you’ve been 

3 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I’ve read a good bit of his books but I really enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea. Read it in high school and instantly loved it 

8 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve read a good bit of his books but I really enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea. Read it in high school and instantly loved it 

We had to read that in high school too. I hated it. Boring as fock.

Ive tried a couple others of his over the years. Never finish. Not a fan. But to each their own. 

• Like 2

" she isn't a big fan of reading". Lol. How does she feel about hearing? 

32 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

In transit stop at Robert is here fruit stand for a milkshake

We'll worth it

Ooh where is that at? You said in transit so I’m guessing between Miami and key west?

10 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

He’s also not a jealous loser who gets upset other people are living their lives and also actually have an appreciation for things like literature. Never mind the fact that I had already mentioned the Hemingway museum and my interest in going. EDIT: (plus the museum/home has like 40-50 six toed cats there which is what I’m using to convince my wife to go with me there since she isn’t a big fan of reading) 

Seriously dude, don’t understand what your major malfunction is but you really need to work on it. 

Now, serious question. Have you been? If so, what is honestly a place or attraction that we should see? Cause I really would like your serious input if you’ve been 

Never been to Key West and not a Hemingway fan.  

Even tried The Old Man and the Sea on audiobook but couldn’t get into it.   I think Charlton Heston narrated it.  

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

We had to read that in high school too. I hated it. Boring as fock.

Ive tried a couple others of his over the years. Never finish. Not a fan. But to each their own. 

Ditto 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:21 AM, Djgb13 said:

Wife and I will be heading to Miami and Key West next week. Looking for any helpful info you guys have. I know I plan on going to Little Havana while in Miami as well as the beaches. Anything in either place that we can’t miss doing or seeing? 

Go to Michaels Genuine in Miami. Get the Popcorn and Peanuts for dessert. You will thank me later. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

" she isn't a big fan of reading". Lol. How does she feel about hearing? 

Most people have never read a book in their adult lives you know. Shocking, but true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Most people have never read a book in their adult lives you know. Shocking, but true. 

Then he should say she doesnt like books, not reading. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:21 AM, Djgb13 said:

In Key West go to the East Martello Museum. Check out Robert the Doll. Creepy as Fock. But DO NOT take his picture. 

• Like 1

When there is a cruise ship in town at Key West, at least on Duval,  is overrun. If you see them at the port you might as well start branching out to get something to eat. Everything around Duval will be crowded. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Then he should say she doesnt like books, not reading. 

It’s the same thing unless you’re a complete focking retard 🤦🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, 12th Man said:

In Key West go to the East Martello Museum. Check out Robert the Doll. Creepy as Fock. But DO NOT take his picture. 

Oooh I’ve heard of that doll! Hell yea I’ll check that out. And the popcorn and peanuts thing sounds good too. I used to love crackerjacks so I’m assuming it’s kind of similar 

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Never been to Key West and not a Hemingway fan.  

Even tried The Old Man and the Sea on audiobook but couldn’t get into it.   I think Charlton Heston narrated it.  

Did you ever watch the movie Midnight in Paris? I kind of feel like if you didn’t like Hemingway’s works you might not like it either but I could be wrong. Either way, I’m the type that likes all different kinds of books. It’s the same with music, food, and art. I will admit when I was in high school and my early 20s I didn’t really care much for reading or the arts. However, around my mid to late 20s that started changing and I became more interested in them. Started reading a lot more too. Now I really do love checking out art exhibits, reading different books, and experiencing new food. 

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yea my wife hates reading. If the movie has subtitles in it she can’t stand it cause it takes away from her being able to watch the movie she says. Also can’t get her to pick up a book unless it’s something for her job or the classes she’s taking to get her MLT. 

4 hours ago, 12th Man said:

Go to Michaels Genuine in Miami. Get the Popcorn and Peanuts for dessert. You will thank me later. 

Dreamsicle is better!

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

Dreamsicle is better!

Dam now you guys are making me anxious to try this place. Any good Cuban places you would recommend? I know we are going to Little Havana so there’s gonna be a good bit but I love Cuban food and if there’s a place that has good Cuban food as well as a unique dish that most places don’t carry then yea im down for that. Would definitely hit it up 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Dam now you guys are making me anxious to try this place. Any good Cuban places you would recommend? I know we are going to Little Havana so there’s gonna be a good bit but I love Cuban food and if there’s a place that has good Cuban food as well as a unique dish that most places don’t carry then yea im down for that. Would definitely hit it up 

I have not had Cuban food in Miami.  There is a place in Key West, El Siboney, that gets good reviews.  I thought it was only slightly above average.

48 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Cuban food is like southern BBQ. You don't want the famous nice place. You want the dirty cinder block shanty with no name. That's the good stuff. 

I hear the little coffee windows are where it’s at. Plan on going to those a couple times throughout the day 

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I hear the little coffee windows are where it’s at. Plan on going to those a couple times throughout the day 

Ive never been to Miami, but when I lived in Tampa, there were lots of killer little Cuban shacks. Just look for a cinder block hovel painted wildly in many colors.

Hit up a Palacio de Jugo for Cuban food or a sandwich. Get some croquettes as well.

Another must for a restaurant/chain dining experience is Flanigans. There’s a bunch in the area, It’s a chain similar to Chili’s, outback etc only it’s really freakin good. Every time in Miami I have to eat there and always wish we had them in Cali. They give you these little garlic bread rolls dripping with butter garlic sauce that you can also order on your chicken strips. Man that place is incredible.