Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

How much pain and suffering could you take for a fat check

A friend of a friend was involved in a car accident not too long ago.  He used to be on our golf league.  After some time, he received a check from Chrysler --I don't know the reasons for the settlement and he is not allowed to talk about it.  I do believe it was a 7 figure check.

Now--His golf game is done.  He has to walk with a cane and he will always have some difficulty walking etc.   He however is otherwise completely healthy and can regain a fair amount of his former abilities back.  He may even be able to golf again, though never able to boom the ball off the tee like previously.  Talking to him he doesn't seem to be in a terrible amount of pain or anything, mostly his life has changed. 

Got me thinking----For 7 figures....Would that be worth it?   

Fat will be a good description of your friend in a couple of years. Plus he'll always be known as the guy who got the "fat check". Not worth it. Answer is none. Already have enough.

Im not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination, but our household income is what I would call very comfortable.  Nice house, nice cars, some disposable income to do nice things, good savings for kids education, etc.  I cant imagine any amount of money that I would willingly risk quality of life for.  Chronic issues are a bad deal and only get worse.  Whats dude gonna be like at 65 years old?  7 figures aint what it used to be.  My wife and I would break the 7 figure mark in 6 years of our current income.

$0

Being pain free and able to use all of my body parts to the best of it's ability is a treasure. I also wouldn't want to pretend to be injured for the rest of my life. 

Don't need it. Pain and suffering is for the poor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peenie said:

$0

Being pain free and able to use all of my body parts to the best of it's ability is a treasure. I also wouldn't want to pretend to be injured for the rest of my life. 

Somehow, I don't think that this is happening on a regular basis.  ;)

• Haha 3

Considering I come here everyday for free, probably wouldn't take much.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

A friend of a friend was involved in a car accident not too long ago.  He used to be on our golf league.  After some time, he received a check from Chrysler --I don't know the reasons for the settlement and he is not allowed to talk about it.  I do believe it was a 7 figure check.

Now--His golf game is done.  He has to walk with a cane and he will always have some difficulty walking etc.   He however is otherwise completely healthy and can regain a fair amount of his former abilities back.  He may even be able to golf again, though never able to boom the ball off the tee like previously.  Talking to him he doesn't seem to be in a terrible amount of pain or anything, mostly his life has changed. 

Got me thinking----For 7 figures....Would that be worth it?   

Depends on how long for.  You said "not too long ago".  If you're talking about it happening in 2019, then you may find that he may be doing those things again in a year.  I bowl, play golf (rarely), and coach my nephew's little league teams.  If I had to skip all of that for say 2 years for 7 figures... yeah, I'd do it.  Now, if we're talking 5 years or more?  Then I'd have to give it some serious thought.  The amount of time is the key.  My preference though would have been to take $100k and never miss a beat.

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Somehow, I don't think that this is happening on a regular basis.  ;)

I laughed.

In all seriousness, does his "boy" still work? Assuming that's still good and I can drive and get around on my own -

I'd take the check if it were north of $5m........ For the life changes I could make for a few others, I'd endure it.

I already have to ice my knees, hip and back after playing hoops.  I'll take any amount of cash someone wants to give me.  

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

In all seriousness, does his "boy" still work? Assuming that's still good and I can drive and get around on my own -

I'd take the check if it were north of $5m........ For the life changes I could make for a few others, I'd endure it.

He doesn't work.  And I don't think it's cause he cant.   And I don't know how big this check was

We get Andrew Yang into the Whitehouse and we all get free money to the tune of 5 figures.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

He doesn't work.  And I don't think it's cause he cant.   And I don't know how big this check was

Ha. no I mean does his Johnson still work - can he still get laid?

11 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Ha. no I mean does his Johnson still work - can he still get laid?

Ask your Mom

5 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Ask your Mom

I was serious - it would have bearing on my decision.

But thanks for being tool.

Since we all make Geek Club bank we can find a cool mil in our couch cushions.  So let's use "enough to live comfortably the rest of my life."

Answer is still no.  I value my health and mobility too much.  My FIL can barely walk 25 feet without stopping and leaning on something to catch his breath.  No thanks.

If I were poor and had a chance to provide a better life for my kids, I'd consider it.

9 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I was serious - it would have bearing on my decision.

But thanks for being tool.

Seriously? You cant take that?   Lighten up Francis.

Confined to an iron lung for 100 grand.  B)

But not a penny less.  :nono:

19 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

I’d spill a cup of McDonalds coffee on my lap for $3mm. 

You'd need a new username in that case. But I agree with you, where's the coffee at?

People pay fat checks to not be in pain.

I wouldn't take it.