Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Trying my hand at smoking...

Buddy gave me a UDS..not a 55gal...but smaller.

I got about 5lbs of pork loin..2 2.5lbs...not tiny tenderloins.  Marinated all night.  Gonna get the UDS stabilized at about 225-250 then smoke em up.  Will rub em up first.  After a couple hours...injext with apple juice.  ...should I wrap em in foil after a while?  So many different ways to smoke.  Youtube has a million diff ways lol.

12 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I got about 5lbs of pork loin..2 2.5lbs...not tiny tenderloins.  Marinated all night.  Gonna get the UDS stabilized at about 225-250 then smoke em up.  Will rub em up first.  After a couple hours...injext with apple juice.  ...should I wrap em in foil after a while?  So many different ways to smoke.  Youtube has a million diff ways lol.

No, there's not need to foil pork loin, there is not enough fat.

For future cooks I suggest brining them rather than marinate, there will be no need for injections.  Also try reverse searing at some point with loins.  Pull them at 10 to 15 degrees lower than what you want internally and then place them over direct heat or in a CIS for a good sear

16 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Spend the extra $5 and get the tenderloins.  Heck, you got the smoker for free.

Tenderloins and loins don't have much fat in them.  Shoulder or Boston butt in the smoker.  

Since you are doing something that won't take much time, try throwing on some sausages at the same time.  Only take a couple of hours, but a good appetizer if you slice them up with a nice mustard.

30 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Spend the extra $5 and get the tenderloins.  Heck, you got the smoker for free.

They were already in freezer...and cheap if I fock it up lol

7 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

How long u think?  3 hours?

With smokers, you want to have a thermometer.  The temp is likely not going to be consistent enough to just go off of time.  

Also, instead of (or in addition to), I like to use a spray bottle with apple juice in it.  Helps with some of the carmelization on the outside.  

Well i got my coals in the chimney...dinner is 530 6.  I figure an hour to get my temp stable...with vents...then put meat on

11 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Well i got my coals in the chimney...dinner is 530 6.  I figure an hour to get my temp stable...with vents...then put meat on

What flavor beverage to keep you hydrated?

You're going to inject after cooking a couple of hours?  I don't think that will work as the meat is already tightening up and it will just pour back out.    Time is just a starting point.  You have to go by internal temp.  Get a good instant read thermometer. 

Just now, NorthernVike said:

You're going to inject after cooking a couple of hours?  I don't think that will work as the meat is already tightening up and it will just pour back out.    Time is just a starting point.  You have to go by internal temp.  Get a good instant read thermometer. 

Yeah...dumb statement by me

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Yeah...dumb statement by me

No it's not.  Smoking takes trial and error.  My favorite you tube vids on smoking are from a guy named Malcom Reed.  Excellent teacher and keeps it simple.  Check him out. 

What kind of wood are you using? That can make a big difference. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

What kind of wood are you using? That can make a big difference. 

Apple chips...they seem to burn up quick...may need more lol

22 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Just a simple hard cider

Angry orchard has a green apple variant that I think is incredible.

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Apple is good for pork. They do burn quicker than some others, but if you're just starting out with a smoker you want to be careful. There is such thing as too much smoke. The first time I smoked something I went overboard and it tasted like I was biting into a forest fire. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Apple is good for pork. They do burn quicker than some others, but if you're just starting out with a smoker you want to be careful. There is such thing as too much smoke. The first time I smoked something I went overboard and it tasted like I was biting into a forest fire. 

As long as you are burning clean (blue smoke not white) then you can use as much wood as you want.  Keep in mind that after 3 or so hours your meat is no longer going to take on smoke flavor at that point you should only use wood for heat if at all.  Fruit woods(soft) are always going to burn faster than hard woods such as oak/pecan/hickory.

6 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

If you have a Lowes/Home Depot or Publix near you I suggest buying wood chuncks

Don't try to finish an entire pack on the first day.  Start with one cig in the morning and one in the evening.  Slowly increase from there.  GL  :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Don't try to finish an entire pack on the first day.  Start with one cig in the morning and one in the evening.  Slowly increase from there.  GL  :thumbsup:

I haven't had a cigarette in 15 years and less than 5 in my life total. 

I would probably smoke one if I was drinking and someone offered me one. Although there is probably no chance of this happening, so no worries there.

1 hour ago, Meglamaniac said:

If you have a Lowes/Home Depot or Publix near you I suggest buying wood chuncks

Friend brought me some apple chunks...all good now...temp holding at 250..good smoke...meat been on for about 35 mins 👍👍

Gonna peek on temp in another 30 mins...not gonna open till maybe 3 hours to check temp

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Gonna peek on temp in another 30 mins...not gonna open till maybe 3 hours to check temp

Way too long at 3 hours for a smallish pork loin at 250.  It might take 2, maybe 2.5 to get to 135-140 and that is where you really want to pull it at and then tent for at least 30 minutes before slicing

I know a lot of people that say "if you're lookin', you're not cookin" but I have no issues opening up the smoker. Reason being is I keep my stuff moist as I'm cooking. I just picked up a 10 lb pork shoulder I'm going to smoke this weekend and i open the smoker up about every hour and will spray that shoulder down with apple juice when I'm a wake. It will stay closed overnight, but when I wake up in the morning I start spraying it again. 

I bought one of these contraptions for my Weber Smokey Mountain.  I had to put it together myself, but so far it has been worth it.  I have remote notification of smoker temp and food temp.

And the rotodamper allows me to keep hands off of the dampers on the smoker.

Not my vid, but here it is:

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

No it's not.  Smoking takes trial and error.  My favorite you tube vids on smoking are from a guy named Malcom Reed.  Excellent teacher and keeps it simple.  Check him out. 

Yup.  Malcom Reed is good to watch.  

9 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Way too long at 3 hours for a smallish pork loin at 250.  It might take 2, maybe 2.5 to get to 135-140 and that is where you really want to pull it at and then tent for at least 30 minutes before slicing

These arent tenderloins...they are the big fat loins you can cut into chops...the local store sells em in bulk with free cuts...usually get one cut in 1 inch chops and another cut in 3 roasts...these are six inches wide and 12 inches long and 3 inches thick

These arent tenderloins...they are the big fat loins you can cut into chops...the local store sells em in bulk with free cuts...usually get one cut in 1 inch chops and another cut in 3 roasts...these are six inches wide and 12 inches long and 3 inches thick

I know what they are, I've cooked hundreds of whole pork loins from Sams

https://www.unclejerryskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/butcher-a-pork-loin-01-the-pork-loin-1024x685.jpg

19 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Planning dinner at 530 so hope your right

4 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Planning dinner at 530 so hope your right

trust me, if your mometer is accurate then 2.5 hours at 250 and a 30 minute tent will be perfect at around 140 internal

Next go around try some cheery wood chunks, brine for 12 hours using a simple sugar/salt/water brine and use a mop of sugars(brown sugar/honey/apple or pineapple juice/honey/garlic butter and or a fruit marmalade and mop often the last 30 minutes of the cook for a nice sticky sweet bark of sorts on the loin

31 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I like Malcom.....but my favorite guy to watch is prolly T-Roy. I love that he uses a traditional stick burner and I like his humor.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spacecowboytx/videos?disable_polymer=1

That focker's a drunk.  I like him.  :cheers:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I like Malcom.....but my favorite guy to watch is prolly T-Roy. I love that he uses a traditional stick burner and I like his humor.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spacecowboytx/videos?disable_polymer=1

T-Roy is great.  The focker floats in the pool and drinks beer all day while smoking meat. 

Plus he sounds greatly appreciative when people send fan mail in and he reads them in his videos.

• Like 1

Thought this thread was about you deciding to try some pole smoking.  NTTAWWT. 

22 minutes ago, DonS said:

Thought this thread was about you deciding to try some pole smoking.  NTTAWWT. 

You sound disappointed.