Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Early retirement question

Hypothetically:

A married couple is 10 yrs apart in age.  50's and 40's. 

The younger spouse works part time primarily to get med benefits for the family, and also works part time in the family owned biz.  The older spouse works exclusively in the family biz.

Should the older spouse retire at 62 and start collecting SS, even though it would be at a reduced rate?  There's really no telling what the full benefits will actually be or how far they will push the retirement age back.  The younger one is probably not in danger of losing out on SS completely, but the future of the fund isn't very healthy. 

The older spouse would also receive a small pension from a company plan they were fully vested in years ago.  

The older spouse would transfer their % ownership of the biz to the other spouse, start working part time and take a small salary that would not impact their SS benefit.

They would earn the same amount as a family, but also begin collecting SS and pension benefits on top of that. 

Could this work?

44 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Hypothetically:

A married couple is 10 yrs apart in age.  50's and 40's. 

The younger spouse works part time primarily to get med benefits for the family, and also works part time in the family owned biz.  The older spouse works exclusively in the family biz.

Should the older spouse retire at 62 and start collecting SS, even though it would be at a reduced rate?  There's really no telling what the full benefits will actually be or how far they will push the retirement age back.  The younger one is probably not in danger of losing out on SS completely, but the future of the fund isn't very healthy. 

The older spouse would also receive a small pension from a company plan they were fully vested in years ago.  

The older spouse would transfer their % ownership of the biz to the other spouse, start working part time and take a small salary that would not impact their SS benefit.

They would earn the same amount as a family, but also begin collecting SS and pension benefits on top of that. 

Could this work?

Tell me when each spouse dies and I guarantee you I’ll give you the exact time they both should turn on SS.

There is always the option to work until you drop dead like most americans are going have to do. Takes all the guesswork out of it. :D

my 401k and brokerage account doing so focking good i've been asking this question myself :pointstosky:

thanks trump

17 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

my 401k and brokerage account doing so focking good i've been asking this question myself :pointstosky:

thanks trump

My goal is to have the option to retire at 55. Even if I keep working, it will be nice to know I can quit at any time.