Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Lion King remake is trash

According to my daughter. She felt Disney sold its soul to Beyonce who had horrible songs and can't act. Childish Gambino sounded unfortunately like Childish Gambino, as if he was trying to be sure the younger generation recognized who he was. James Earl Jones was too old for the role. There was no chemistry between  Simba and Nala. They tried too hard to push modern themes: Poomba not wanting to be fat shamed. 

She said John Oliver, Seth Rogan and whoever played Timon saved the movie. 

I didn't recognize Beyoncé nor Childish Gambino. It's animation so I only saw animals and hadn't realized they were part of the ensemble. I must say the CGI was excellent. The music was good, it noticeably wasn't Elton himself but it was his songs and they were performed well. The story was faithful to the original. We had a good time. Maybe the Simba/Nala chemistry was off now that I think on it.

The boar and the rodent guy were funny. John Oliver must have been the bird with the British accent, fortunately I didn't know that at the time. James Earl Jones' voice is always recognizable in any setting, that man's got to be getting up in age.

I didn't feel like I was getting fed any PC nonsense; of course, for all I know, the Chinese censors might have cut a line or two or a scene or three to make it that way.

I'm glad you liked it. She may be extra critical as it was one of her favorites as a child. 

When you put actors in it JUST for their race like they did the movie will suffer. Never mind that they weren’t the best for the movie. This is why Timon, Pumba, and Mufasa were actually cast and sounded well 

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

When you put actors in it JUST for their race like they did the movie will suffer. Never mind that they weren’t the best for the movie. This is why Timon, Pumba, and Mufasa were actually cast and sounded well 

Diversity has nothing to do with merit.  Diversity has nothing to do with quality.  Diversity has nothing to do with how well you do your job.  Diversity has nothing to do with anything except surface window dressing.  And, yet, it is a defining, dominant characteristic as far as the Left is concerned

15 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Can't wait to see what they do with the 7 dwarfs

LOL, as to not midget shame, all of the dwarfs will be played by normal height people.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, as to not midget shame, all of the dwarfs will be played by normal height people.

You can't make it in today's climate. The prince kissing sleeping snow white would be date rape. #metoo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You can't make it in today's climate. The prince kissing sleeping snow white would be date rape. #metoo

With the doctored apple they could get Bill Cosby to take the role.

That's a no for me, dawg. I can't handle seeing Mufasa die again :(

Who voices the hyenas?  I seem to remember some people complaining about how the "bad guys" were voiced by minorities (Whoopi Goldberg and Cheech Marin) in the original. 

I keep hearing that the realistic portrayal means they don’t have the facial expressions and emotion that being a cartoon allows, which makes it strange.

are all the animals black and gay?

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

I keep hearing that the realistic portrayal means they don’t have the facial expressions and emotion that being a cartoon allows, which makes it strange.

Interesting point.  Makes total sense.  

12 hours ago, dain11279 said:

How about a spoiler alert? 

• Haha 2

never saw the original.

Oh man by the time little mermaid comes out these things are going to be bombing HARD.

5 hours ago, edjr said:

are all the animals black and gay?

Lamda lambda lambda 

11 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

How about a spoiler alert? 

:lol:

Sorry, it’s the circle of life man

Remakes usually are.

2 that come to mind that were not only great, but arguably better: 12 Angry Men and Ocean's 11.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:58 AM, dain11279 said:

Couple of friends talked me into going this Saturday night. Eh, whatever. Haven't been to the movies in forever. I'll give it a whirl.

Your daughter was just mad that the movie took place in Africa.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, DonS said:

Who voices the hyenas?  I seem to remember some people complaining about how the "bad guys" were voiced by minorities (Whoopi Goldberg and Cheech Marin) in the original. 

And that was racist.  Now they're probably white guys.

15 hours ago, DonS said:

Is it still implied that Scar is ghey?  NTTAWWT 

Probably not.  Probably implied that he's a straight, white, conservative.