Rep. Rashida Tlaib calls for a $20 minimum wage...

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t think a fry cook should be a living wage job. I do think wages should generally keep pace with inflation though. Instead they’ve been stagnant for decades while the cost of necessities like healthcare, housing, education etc. have rapidly increased. Neither party seems to have a solution to that problem.

Minimum wage jobs are meant to be starters for high school kids and college kids looking for some spending cash.  There's no reason at all for minimum wage to keep up with inflation.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Minimum wage jobs are meant to be starters for high school kids and college kids looking for some spending cash.  There's no reason at all for minimum wage to keep up with inflation.

With the decline of manufacturing jobs that used to absorb uneducated workers, many people have indeed turned to jobs at the lower end of the payscale for employment. You can't have this discussion without recognizing that. Things don't stay the same. 

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree that min wage jobs shouldn’t be a living wage, but we’re going to have a min wage at all it should be tied to inflation.

The bigger problem is that middle class wages in general are getting squeezed all over. That’s not an issue either party is interested in fixing.

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t think a fry cook should be a living wage job. I do think wages should generally keep pace with inflation though. Instead they’ve been stagnant for decades while the cost of necessities like healthcare, housing, education etc. have rapidly increased. Neither party seems to have a solution to that problem.

It's simple.  Don't let millions of illegals in to take those starter level jobs.  Create a scarcity of labor to drive wages up.  It's really not complicated. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

With the decline of manufacturing jobs that used to absorb uneducated workers, many people have indeed turned to jobs at the lower end of the payscale for employment. You can't have this discussion without recognizing that. Things don't stay the same. 

Again, don't let millions of illegals in.  They don't just take min wage jobs.  They also take construction jobs which have traditionally paid decent.  Illegals have depressed wages in trade industries as well.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Again, don't let millions of illegals in.  They don't just take min wage jobs.  They also take construction jobs which have traditionally paid decent.  Illegals have depressed wages in trade industries as well.

Totally agree. I read that construction jobs wages in California have actually declined. Not stayed stagnant like everyone else,  but declined. 

It's simple.  Don't let millions of illegals in to take those starter level jobs.  Create a scarcity of labor to drive wages up.  It's really not complicated. 

I really don’t think illegals are the reason why white and blue collar middle class wages have been stagnant for the past 40 years. But illegal immigration depresses lower class wages and that’s a good reason to get rid of them.

Not that either party is proposing an eVerify mandate or lowering the boom on businesses that employ illegals. Cant inconvenience the donor / investor class.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I agree that min wage jobs shouldn’t be a living wage, but we’re going to have a min wage at all it should be tied to inflation.

The bigger problem is that middle class wages in general are getting squeezed all over. That’s not an issue either party is interested in fixing.

Middle class wages are getting squeezed because every time Democrats have control, they tax the hell out of businesses causing prices to go up without wages going up.  The Republican solution for this is the one that works and Democrats want to pretend it doesn't.  When you don't over tax business and force out small businesses, that allows small businesses to compete with the big boys.  As long as that happens, prices are lower and jobs are more plentiful.

Just now, MDC said:

I really don’t think illegals are the reason why white and blue collar middle class wages have been stagnant for the past 40 years. But illegal immigration depresses lower class wages and that’s a good reason to get rid of them.

Not that either party is proposing an eVerify mandate or lowering the boom on businesses that employ illegals. Cant inconvenience the donor / investor class.

Both parties want the illegals.  It's disgusting to me but not much I can do about it.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

If the Dems stopped wanting to give the illegals a free pass, then the Reps won't be hiring them.  Pretty simple really.

Both parties want the illegals.  It's disgusting to me but not much I can do about it.

I don't know how true that is.  Businesses are hiring illegals because the Dems keep taxing the hell out them.

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

The only wages they have any control over is the bottom.  The unions used to have a general control over the middle class wages, the left traded them for the minority vote.  So now the middle does not have representation.

Just now, Strike said:

Only corporate republicans like McConnell want illegals. The voters don't. It's just another case of the tail wagging the dog. For now. Guys like McConnell have to get out. 

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

Every time the minimum increases, it swallows up people who were over the minimum, putting more people in poverty. The Democrats won't stop until we are all making the same amount, whether you're a burger flipper or a network engineer.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Totally agree. I read that construction jobs wages in California have actually declined. Not stayed stagnant like everyone else,  but declined. 

A friend of mine's husband studied to be an electrician in CA.  By the time he finished school he couldn't get a decent paying job in CA.  He moved to CO where electricians still made decent coin.  That was 20+ years ago.  I've posted previously about a buddy of mine who owns his own construction company in CA.  His employees are all illegals.   It's the only way he can price himself competitively.   No one wants to admit the issue exists.  Look at MDC.  He thinks they're just taking the lowest paying jobs. 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

The only wages they have any control over is the bottom.  The unions used to have a general control over the middle class wages, the left traded them for the minority vote.  So now the middle does not have representation.

Bingo. Except the teachers Union. They still get representation. Plenty of it. 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

There are plenty of unions out there and the Dems fully support them.  I don't really think there's a need for unions anymore though.  I think they've served their purpose and now it's time to move on from them.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Only corporate republicans like McConnell want illegals. The voters don't. It's just another case of the tail wagging the dog. For now. Guys like McConnell have to get out. 

When I say both parties I'm referring to the corrupt,  elected officials in Washington.  I realize most Americans are against illegal immigration.  That's how you know the people representing us are corrupt.  They know we don't want illegal immigration but keep doubling down on it.

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

In the last 30 years the democrats have had plenty of chances to tie minimum wage to inflation, but they choose not to so they can use it as a publicity stunt when a republican is in office. 

• Thanks 2

Why $20? I can't live on $20. Why not 40?

Just now, bostonlager said:

In the last 30 years the democrats have had plenty of chances to tie minimum wage to inflation, but they choose not to so they can use it as a publicity stunt when a republican is in office. 

Right?   I mean, we have all these programs that have issues:

- Social Security

- Illegal Immigration

- Wages/Min Wage laws

All could be fixed if the people in Washington cared more about their constituents than getting rich.  But they don't.  They sell us to the highest bidder, and then try to pit us against one another.  We talk about Dems/Repubs but really it should be us against ALL of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

A friend of mine's husband studied to be an electrician in CA.  By the time he finished school he couldn't get a decent paying job in CA.  He moved to CO where electricians still made decent coin.  That was 20+ years ago.  I've posted previously about a buddy of mine who owns his own construction company in CA.  His employees are all illegals.   It's the only way he can price himself competitively.   No one wants to admit the issue exists.  Look at MDC.  He thinks they're just taking the lowest paying jobs. 

And it's going to get even worse while automation continues to expand. I don't know what plans the libtards have for a bunch of non English speaking uneducated unskilled people who won't be employable. Hook them on opiates like they did in the rust belt? We will be a modern Charles Dickens novel. 

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The Democratic Party definitely abandoned organized labor and they get what they deserve now. They’re basically the same pro corporate anti labor party as the GOP. There’s no reason to vote for them anymore.

Just now, Strike said:

Right?   I mean, we have all these programs that have issues:

- Social Security

- Illegal Immigration

- Wages/Min Wage laws

All could be fixed if the people in Washington cared more about their constituents than getting rich.  But they don't.  They sell us to the highest bidder, and then try to pit us against one another.  We talk about Dems/Repubs but really it should be us against ALL of them.

I agree completely, it's why I voted for Trump in the first place.  Send a message to the politicians that they suck.  Too bad the Dems and MSM need to vilify him and keep the garbage in DC.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree completely, it's why I voted for Trump in the first place.  Send a message to the politicians that they suck.  Too bad the Dems and MSM need to vilify him and keep the garbage in DC.

Absolutely.  I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump but totally understand anyone who did.  I may vote for him next time though.

7 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

That’s true, they’ve basically become the Republican Party: proud water carrying bendover assboys for the investor / donor class. That’s why people like me don’t vote for them anymore.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There are plenty of unions out there and the Dems fully support them.  I don't really think there's a need for unions anymore though.  I think they've served their purpose and now it's time to move on from them.

Not so much in the trades anymore. They have lost a lot of those voters. Public sector and low wage (SEIU) is their bread and butter. A huge union like SEIU is more of a political organization than anything now. They are replacing the leadership of unions with lawyers. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not so much in the trades anymore. They have lost a lot of those voters. Public sector and low wage (SEIU) is their bread and butter. A huge union like SEIU is more of a political organization than anything now. They are replacing the leadership of unions with lawyers. 

I'll take your word for it.  I'm not up to speed on unions.  Just most of the people that I know that are in unions always vote Democrat.

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'll take your word for it.  I'm not up to speed on unions.  Just most of the people that I know that are in unions always vote Democrat.

I'm one of them. SEIU is my blanket union. Our contract with them is up soon and they are getting the boot. Can't wait. Totally Fockin useless. More concerned with loading up busses for a pro illegal immigration rally than fighting for their dues paying members. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I'm one of them. SEIU is my blanket union. Our contract with them is up soon and they are getting the boot. Can't wait. Totally Fockin useless. More concerned with loading up busses for a pro illegal immigration rally than fighting for their dues paying members. 

Sh#t, I also read that the leaders of the SEIU are making bank too.  So most of the money goes to their liberal masters of the DNC for lobbying and the leaders of the union itself.  F#ck everyone else.

8 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Sh#t, I also read that the leaders of the SEIU are making bank too.  So most of the money goes to their liberal masters of the DNC and the leaders of the union itself.  F#ck everyone else.

Pretty much. The lawyer they gave us thought he was going to be  running contract negotiations. Very friendly with management as they are idealogically alligned and  figured he had a compliant ,uneducated flock of sheep like he did last time.  Then he met me and another retired LE and he was relegated to being a guide. He wasn't setting the agenda anymore . . Nice raises and some work rule concessions have been gained. Hopefully put a bow on it this week.  Then tell SEIU to scram. 

17 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I propose a 100 dollar an hour minimum wage.

You said it bruh.

We need at least $100. 

I mean, why should execs and bidness people make so much more than me do?  Quit dissin' me bruh.   I play Xbox all night, and have minimum sleep.  You riddy think I can make enough in a 3 hour work day to make ends meet at $15 an hour? 

I doodn't care if raising it to $100 an hour means higher prices, which in turn would mean less buying power for chumps like SkiBum and McGee, which in turn makes us all mo' equal in da munnah department. 

Also tho, great tactic by the libs.  Have a towel head say "$20/hour minimum wage, and now you have 'lil Johnny dropout who has since turned 18 and can now vote saying "Hell yeah....that muslim knows what they are talking about"  -- which in turn unites the muslims and white trash libs.  This whole country is coming down to who can get who on what side.  

So far, the libs have the terrorists, the dirt poor, the gangs, the muslims, the gays, the coloreds, those that think with their feelings, and hollywood.  Basically, the libs have all of the high crime areas where people are so densely populated that are tripping over each other. 

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Why shouldn't try cook be a living wage job? Someone has to do it. Millions of people actually. Sure, high school kids can do it evenings and weekends, but someone has to do it nights and day times. 

All jobs should be living wage jobs. If that raises prices, so be it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Why shouldn't try cook be a living wage job? Someone has to do it. Millions of people actually. Sure, high school kids can do it evenings and weekends, but someone has to do it nights and day times. 

Fry cook is just an example. Probably more accurate to say I don’t think all jobs should necessarily pay a living wage. Some jobs are or at least should be for part time workers, students and kids who aren’t relying on them for essentials.

The problem is that you’ve got adults now vying for jobs that used to be just for kids or part timers to make ends meet now. 

25 minutes ago, MDC said:

Fry cook is just an example. Probably more accurate to say I don’t think all jobs should necessarily pay a living wage. Some jobs are or at least should be for part time workers, students and kids who aren’t relying on them for essentials.

The problem is that you’ve got adults now vying for jobs that used to be just for kids or part timers to make ends meet now. 

A lot of them are illegals.  God it sucks going in to a fast food place now and, instead of seeing hot 17 year olds working the register like 25 years ago, I get to deal with some Mexican who can barely speak English.  And those people really should be working on attaining a marketable skill.  If you work as a fry cook for more than a year as your "career", you've got issues.

What does Aqib think of this?

60 years ago minimum wage was $1/hr.  To keep up with inflation, the minimum wage should be about $8/hr.

4 hours ago, MDC said:

Spoiler: It hasn’t kept pace with inflation.

I think proposals like this are well meaning but pointless. People don’t need better paying minimum wage jobs. They need more living wage jobs with benefits. 

I agree that minimum wage should track inflation.  And that SS payouts should track life expectancy.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

:huh:  Anyway, what is a "living wage?"  Latest iPhone?  4K TV?  Your own apartment?  If you make minimum as an adult you should have none of those.