Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Student Loan Forgiveness?

38 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They should learn to code

Or enjoy their underemployment and learn to play an instrument. 

My brother-in-law just dropped out of CU after 5 years and still not having his bachelor's degree.  He's got 14 credits left and 90k in student loans.  That's after his dad paid the first two years before realizing the kid was failing every third class and stopping financial support.  Dumb sh1t.

2 minutes ago, Kanil said:

My brother-in-law just dropped out of CU after 5 years and still not having his bachelor's degree.  He's got 14 credits left and 90k in student loans.  That's after his dad paid the first two years before realizing the kid was failing every third class and stopping financial support.  Dumb sh1t.

It's ok.  Warren will forgive his loans.  It's not his fauilt!

On 7/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, Cdub100 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/she-owes-500000-in-student-loans-giant-balances-are-on-the-rise.html

Elisha Bokman has been out of school for eight years. Still, her student loan balance is half a million dollars.

Today, for her doctorate degree in naturopathic medicine and master’s in acupuncture from Bastyr University, she owes $499,322.69.

Most of the people in massive student loan debt are these idiots with worthless degrees. I think the government should get out of the student loan business. That is the primary reason why college has become so expensive. Colleges know they can just keep raising prices hire more worthless administrators and idiots will keep taking out loans. It's a no lose situation for the college. Hell my school raised tuition 6% above the state minimum 3% required to receive state funding,  because they knew students would just take out more loans to cover the loss.

If the government wants to give out loans it should only be for needed degrees. Want to become a computer scientist? Great here's a low interest loan. Want to get a masters in acupuncture? Get focked. It's for your own good.

Can I declare bankruptcy on my loans for trump university lol.

Seriously though, just wind back the bankruptcy code and let these kids declare bankruptcy on the loans. Used to be able to do that few years back. Banks lobbied politicians and had it changed. Biggest issue was doctors and lawyer types running up huge balances and the wiping them out. Going on to earn upper six figures, middle finger to the man.

Just bring the law back and tweak it a bit so doctors and lawyers can't discharge. problem solved. Oh and to the trumptard above, US government owns about 90% of the student loan debt. Bought out al the private debt about 10 years ago and privates don't even loan anymore I believe.

You’ve got a good point Cdub. We created a monster with student loans.

I think that’s part of the idea of debt forgiveness—get these people out of the current mess we’ve created.

But that has GOT to be coupled with reforms going forward so we aren’t just creating the same problem all over again, although even worse because loans would then be even more meaningless with the presumption of forgiveness.

Lets not forget though that this has also been basically a back door economic stimulus plan. Government $ getting pumped into industry in a massive way. That said it’s all on the backs of our young which is a horrible thing for our economic future.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, KSB2424 said:

What I am ALL FOR is lowering interest rates and fees or payment plans, getting rid of predatory lending etc.  etc.

But you borrow something, you give it back.  This is a basic human trait  needed in the real world.

You certainly have a great philosophical point there. I think the problem is these would-be spenders, who should be propping up our economy as the baby boomers continue to age out, have this huge drain on their finances. They should be investing and buying but instead they’ve got to feed the student loan monkey. Many of them aren’t even paying full interest too so it just keeps capitalizing to boot. Really not a good economic situation.

Access to the higher paying jobs is becoming more focused on a smaller segment of people, widening the wealth divide.  Providing access to the finite number of seats to too many kids has resulted in a nasty imbalance, with consequences being more far reaching than one might have expected.  but that is the typical result of governmental tampering.

At this stage, it makes far more economic sense to nudge kids toward the trades. The standard argument of "longer term gains financially" than their counterparts without a degree has been heavily muted by the debt factor.

If the loans are forgiven, who doesn't get paid? 

21 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If the loans are forgiven, who doesn't get paid? 

The schools have already been paid.  By us.  Most private education loans are guaranteed. By us.  See a pattern. 

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The schools have already been paid.  By us.  Most private education loans are guaranteed. By us.  See a pattern. 

So once again as with every liberal give away, not free. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So once again as with every liberal give away, not free. 

You and I will pay for someone to get high and be socially indoctrinated for 6 years and wind up with a degree in literature.   Then they go back to their parent's basement and stay on their health insurance for a few more years.  Democrats are trying to keep kids dumb and helpless, because, hey, it's worked with our other constituent bases.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

You and I will pay for someone to get high and be socially indoctrinated for 6 years and wind up with a degree in literature.   Then they go back to their parent's basement and stay on their health insurance for a few more years.  Democrats are trying to keep kids dumb and helpless, because, hey, it's worked with our other constituent bases.

We pay some of it now. All these colleges, even the private ones with billions in tax free endowments, continue to get federal tax dollars. Not good enough I guess. 

I just roughly calculated the aggregate total of all the loans my wife and have amassed in our lifetimes, and came up with about $375,000. That's 2 mortgages, 1 student loan, 1 cash out refi, and 9 car loans. I can't imagine a half million dollars in student loans.

Granted, college back then was dirt cheap compared to today, and we bought our homes way before the real estate boom, but still....

3 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I just roughly calculated the aggregate total of all the loans my wife and have amassed in our lifetimes, and came up with about $375,000. That's 2 mortgages, 1 student loan, 1 cash out refi, and 9 car loans. I can't imagine a half million dollars in student loans.

Granted, college back then was dirt cheap compared to today, and we bought our homes way before the real estate boom, but still....

Maybe the colleges could just reduce the price? 

24 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

And dangle a carrot (hey, we got free stuff) in front of them in order to get the vote. The good news is that these losers have the attention span of a cockroach and by the time the election rolls around, they have forgotten all about voting.

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Then how could they afford to pay professors $350K to teach one class?

7 minutes ago, lod001 said:

And dangle a carrot (hey, we got free stuff) in front of them in order to get the vote. The good news is that these losers have the attention span of a cockroach and by the time the election rolls around, they have forgotten all about voting.

And that carrot is going nowhere.  It's new and exciting and will be offered every election. Like reparations.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:10 PM, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I just took out a 3 million $ loan. Can I get that forgiven?

Good thing you lost weight.  You need more life insurance.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Eliminate title 9 will save a shitload.

My wife and I did not take student loans for our degrees.  We were lucky, but it was because we also worked full time during college to pay for it ourselves.  We have saved enough for both of my kids to go to college, but right now it looks like only one will go.  He will take some loans so that he has some skin in the game.  If he does well in school, then I will pay off his loans.  If he focks up, then he can pay it off himself.  

1.  School is too focking expensive.  The colleges are raping and pillaging

2. Forgive loans?  Hell no!  What kind of message is that sending and how the fock are we going to pay for it?  Those libs can go fock themselves on this issue.

The sole problem is at the feet of the liberal college institutions.  They sell their curriculum to idiots who are easily brain washed and convince them that they should major in the arts, social sciences, and humanities when there's no real future in those fields for about 85-90% of the graduates.  In my industry, I don't see too many people complaining about loads and what not.  They're mostly in the STEM fields, which makes sense.  If you don't want major debt, don't fall for the liberal agenda and major in something constructive.  Then, after you're making money and you want waste it on stupid crap, then you can go back to school, on your own dime, and get degrees in the programs that have no future.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:53 PM, Strike said:

There are so many ways to avoid ending up in debt while getting a college education.  This is on the students.  I don't GAF about their debt.   I signed the loan docs for my house and my car.  I knew what I was getting in to.  Can someone bail me out though?

It's on the students, but they are pretty damn young and inexperienced when they agree to this stuff. They pick a major and just hope it's something they can do. I picked computer engineering because computers were the future. Well, I was not meant to be a computer engineer. I didn't know that at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It's on the students, but they are pretty damn young and inexperienced when they agree to this stuff. They pick a major and just hope it's something they can do. I picked computer engineering because computers were the future. Well, I was not meant to be a computer engineer. I didn't know that at the time. 

Yeah, that's why god invented parents.  They're supposed to help guide their children to try to avoid making dumb decisions in their youth, especially financial ones.

Just now, Strike said:

Yeah, that's why god invented parents.  They're supposed to help guide their children to try to avoid making dumb decisions in their youth, especially financial ones.

There are plenty of parents who don't. Mine never did.

I think everyone who takes out a loan should pay it back. Idiots who take out bad loans then learn.

Student loan forgiveness would probably go hand-in-hand with a new tax on colleges and universities to cover the cost.  Perhaps a luxury tax such if a school builds a gorgeous palace of a student building worth a stupid amount of money.  Pasadena City College is spending $42 million on a new building for students.  That should get a luxury tax.

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2019/06/24/42-million-for-new-pasadena-city-college-science-building-in-state-budget-plan/

12 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I’ve already paid off half of it in 11 months

Looking for investors?

12 hours ago, trumpurethra said:

Seriously though, just wind back the bankruptcy code and let these kids declare bankruptcy on the loans. 

So their degree would be declared invalid the second they declared bankruptcy? Or are you just talking about the retards that didn't even get their degree? Or would you propose everyone gets to keep there house, cars , boats and toys after declaring bankruptcy too? Free sh!t for everybody except for the evil responsible whitey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Truth. Mine did though. I still focked up when I was younger. Paid for it bigtime. PAID is the one word to take away from this  

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It’s hard for them too. You think your parents would think that their little Nuts didn’t have what it took to do computer engineering? Would they be so sure as to override your own sense of self? Would they know precisely what you should do instead?

Parents like that ... we call them controlling or worse.

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

It’s hard for them too.

Uh, no it's not. What's hard is watching them not live it. Not instilling it. Do your best to instill it, lead by example . What they do with it is on them.

9 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Truth. Mine did though. I still focked up when I was younger. Paid for it bigtime. PAID is the one word to take away from this  

I am not trying to start a bashing Trump thing here, but Trump has made a living by not paying what he owes, especially to the contractors who build his towers. That's not just an opinion, that is fact. 

And I agree, I paid my loans. I also didn't have life crippling debt from it.

26 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am not trying to start a bashing Trump thing here, but Trump has made a living by not paying what he owes, especially to the contractors who build his towers. That's not just an opinion, that is fact. 

Any proof of this fact? 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Sad but true, many billionaires don't pay for much.  Better to pay a politician 10K than a contractor.  You get more from them.