Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

TE's

I'm interested to see what everyones strategy is for this position. Anyone paying the steep price for the top 3? For the most part, I just wait until I see value. Rarely reaching for a player or drafting one just because my starting lineup needs one.

Early round TEs - Kelce is clearly at the top of the class, but Ertz represents better value to me. I doubt I land Kelce in any of my drafts, but I may pay the price for Ertz towards the end of round 3 or early round 4, depending on how the draft falls. 

Mid round TEs- I'm mostly avoiding this group. Not a ton of value given the likely hit and miss this group has throughout the season. However, even though the Giants offense looks to be horrid, Engrams target share should be high enough that makes him a near lock to be somewhere in the top 10. If he slides I might grab him.

Later rounds - Usually at least one late round TE emerges as a top option. Kittle last year and Ertz before him. If I'm reaching for a TE it'll be McDonald. I think there's potentially a lot of upside here that people are missing. A lot of targets were vacated in the offense, including those taken up by Jesse James. They didn't bring anyone in of note and WR2 is very much in flux. Outside of Schuster, he might be the most familiar face for Ben.

Just saw that another site did a non ppr ten team mock. 

Kelce went first round. 

Goedert is really making it harder for me to value Ertz. 

One te I like and I keep getting great value for him is J Cook with the Saints.  I would also agree about McDonald   

Thanks for the post. 

In a keeper PPR league traded Diggs for Ertz, and feel pretty good about it.

I probably wouldn’t go Kelce before #15 or Ertz/Kittle before #30 in a redraft league.

Engram & Howard are probably the only guys I’d pick between rounds 6-8.  Everyone else I’d wait.

Who’s your other WRs, and who did you have at te?  

You have to land of of the breakouts at TE, price too steep for the top guys imo. People love to talk about “positional advantage” but that’s faulty logic (most FF logic is faulty, there’s usually tons of variables not taken into consideration) and It doesn't factor in the potential team anchor you passed at WR/RB to get that te. Then when the guys who grabbed the waiver breakouts at TE score just as much at TE, your “advantage” is pretty moot.

It really depends on  value for me. Guys I'm looking at would be Cook, Henry, Howard, McDonald, and Eifert, all depending on when they're available.

Wow I would find it hard to trust Eifert from that list.  

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Wow I would find it hard to trust Eifert from that list.  

I don't trust him either, but in Yahoo he's the 17th TE off the board and a 13th round pick. You probably don't have to trust him at that point to find some value. And if he doesn't turn out, you find someone else.

Last year was pretty tough to find a good TE. I was thinking I grab Engram (targets), Howard skill set and opportunities plus Hunter. Those guys are all round 5 or 6.

Cook I hear could be value if I waited longer.  

McDonald possibly. 

I was thinking of Burton too but he annoyed me last year.

I read an article that brought up an interesting name if you decide to wait. Jordan Reed. Their argument is that when he is on the field he's puts up top 10 numbers, but since he's hurt all the time you have to stream TE's. Yet, based on where he's going, you're going to have to stream TE's anyways, so may as well grab him and use him until he's hurt. 

I think currently and since I like to take my te a little later in the draft the two I like would be, Cook and McDonald. 

Jimmy Graham should be a bargain this season and the Packers have a new coach so pretty much a whole new offense. I expect Rodgers to be the QB1 and Jimmy can push for top 6te. He was already a couple points from top 10 last season so it’s not a stretch.

Kelce and Ertz almost certainly cost too much so I’m waiting. Some pretty decent candidates in the 4-15 range at the position.

Cook of the Saints. 

Eifeet, Reed, Henery, non of them can play in enough games combine to make for a good pick at the te postion.  

Late te pick I mean late, Hockenson of the Lions.  

Thanks. 

drafting both Kelce and Kittle is as safe as drafting 2 top WR's and maybe safer....if I can get a top Rb , Kelce , Kittle and Mahomes I will be happy....we give bonus for long TDs,receptions....a lot has to do with your leagues scoring.Compare Kelces and Kittles numbers to top WRs numbers....last year and numbers projected for this year...question can you feel really good and assured of getting top numbers out of your top  4 picks? Just my perspective.

I also like Kittle and either....Hunter, Cook as 2nd TE...If I can not get Kelce or the price is my 1st pick.

6 minutes ago, vgperu said:

drafting both Kelce and Kittle is as safe as drafting 2 top WR's and maybe safer....if I can get a top Rb , Kelce , Kittle and Mahomes I will be happy....we give bonus for long TDs,receptions....a lot has to do with your leagues scoring.Compare Kelces and Kittles numbers to top WRs numbers....last year and numbers projected for this year...question can you feel really good and assured of getting top numbers out of your top  4 picks? Just my perspective.

Mahomes will not last til the late 4th and I’d be shocked if he’s even there at the early 4th in a league with long td bonus especially. Also if it’s a mandatory 2te league fine but otherwise don’t draft 2 te.

Just now, vgperu said:

not mandatory but would run say Kittle in the Flex WR/RB/TE most weeks.

Not a great plan. It didn’t work that one year when people were going Gronk then Graham late rnd 1 and it won’t work now. You are sacrificing too much depth at the important positions (RB and WR) for the worst position (TE). It gives you the illusion of positional advantage but in reality that advantage is nullified by the investment being so high and your RBs and WRs are now pressured to overperform. The teams who hit on their early picks and also picked up value te later will be in a better position to score higher.

36 minutes ago, vgperu said:

not mandatory but would run say Kittle in the Flex WR/RB/TE most weeks.

In my Dynasty league I have Kelce and Kittle. My WRs are not all that great so I will be running Kittle in my flex if I don't throw a RB there.

In my "for those waiting on QB thread" I'm talking myself into Lamar Jackson. Because of that, I'm also talking myself into Mark Andrews as my breakout TE this year. I lucked out huge when I took OJ Howard as my starter last year and I'm getting the same breakout feeling with Andrews. Michael Crabtree and John Brown are both gone and have been replaced by rookie WRs. A ton of targets have just opened up. Jackson and Andrews began to develop a connection late in the season. He become the leading receiver when Jackson took over last year. Andrews was a huge weapon every time I watched him at Oklahoma. I think athletic QBs without the huge passing numbers could still support a fantasy relevant TE; see Vick and Crumpler, Mariota and Walker.