Is it time to get out of the market?

6 hours ago, edjr said:

Just heard they are going to allow a 10% withdrawal of 401k with no penalties

That's dumb.  

Lets take money out when the market just tanked.  :wall:

3 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

That's dumb.  

At the absolute worst possible time. That is simply stealing from the poor by letting them do that.

2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

At the absolute worst possible time. That is simply stealing from the poor by letting them do that.

Really really dumb

I haven't looked at my balances since this started.  Looked today. I was pleasantly surprised it wasnt as far down as I thought it would be.

Sold my mutuals today though.  This is gonna be a depression.  Like cdub says I'll get back in when things start to turn 

10 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Sashhhhhh!!!!!

39 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

That's dumb.  

Well that depends where your money is.

It's been really hard sitting on the sideline. I see these prices and want to jump in so bad. But I think it's going to drop more.

I think sh1t is going to get really ugly when mass populations start dying.

I want to jump in. I want to buy, but I think I need to keep waiting.

You know what's  really dumb, industries dying, governments are shut down and the market was open. It's like playing 5 on 2 basketball, is it really a secret what's going to happen. And people are complaining about insider trading. If you are still in, it's your own fault. 

3 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

It's been really hard sitting on the sideline. I see these prices and want to jump in so bad. But I think it's going to drop more.

I think sh1t is going to get really ugly when mass populations start dying.

I want to jump in. I want to buy, but I think I need to keep waiting.

But what % of the population that dies actually work and are not retired?

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

But what % of the population that dies actually work and are not retired?

Maybe so but it'll still hurt. Many of those people will have their money in the market when they die that money goes to the taxman and then their relatives.

I don't think it's good either way.

We are on the upswing for the virus curve.  It will get significantly worse until it starts to flatten.  

When theres evidence if that flattening maybe that's a good time to get back in.  Were not close to that yet

14 hours ago, supermike80 said:

We are on the upswing for the virus curve.  It will get significantly worse until it starts to flatten.  

When theres evidence if that flattening maybe that's a good time to get back in.  Were not close to that yet

Agreed.  Was talking to some folks over the weekend and I still think we have another month of bloodletting before there is any light at the end of the tunnel (that isn't a train).  

If the malaria drug shows good promise in NY this could turn on a dime.  

Is anyone still in? Not individual stocks, but 401k’s etc? It has to come back at some point, but this ride must suck. Now the hard part is figuring when to get back in. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Is anyone still in? Not individual stocks, but 401k’s etc? It has to come back at some point, but this ride must suck. Now the hard part is figuring when to get back in. 

I am still in.  Still buying a little in the 401k each pay period.  I have 10+ years to make it up, so I wasn't going to sell low.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

In with 70% & 30% in cash waiting for a lower low.  

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I am still in.  Still buying a little in the 401k each pay period.  I have 10+ years to make it up, so I wasn't going to sell low.  

Same, haven't touched my 401k, will probably increase the percentage here soon.  I've got about 20 more years to work.

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

This.

I applaud you guys. And I think you’re all right about this. 

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

Same, haven't touched my 401k, will probably increase the percentage here soon.  I've got about 20 more years to work.

Just an idea to ponder if your income allows.  

Put enough into your 401k  to get the full match.  Then fund a Roth for you and your spouse.  Any additional money you want to invest could then go into the 401k.

Having a tax free sum of money in retirement can be a very good thing.

Nope still sitting on the sidelines. The market is going to drop hard when people start dying in mass.

13 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Nope still sitting on the sidelines. The market is going to drop hard when people start dying in mass.

This is why I don't go to church. 

1 minute ago, Leeson said:

This is why I don't go to church. 

No Massachusetts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I sold everything on 2/25, and have been putting in 8% every down day.  starting at down 20% from the highs.  I'm at about 65% back in, but I know that's the right mix for me because I don't really care if the market goes up or down at this point.  I'm just keeping the rest of my powder dry.

5 hours ago, nobody said:

I sold everything on 2/25, and have been putting in 8% every down day.  starting at down 20% from the highs.  I'm at about 65% back in, but I know that's the right mix for me because I don't really care if the market goes up or down at this point.  I'm just keeping the rest of my powder dry.

Good move. Congrats.  

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Moved in 100% into the Naz 100. Didn't fare as well as I had hoped but I am about14% ahead of the S&p and 10% ahead of the Naz.

4 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Moved in 100% into the Naz 100. Didn't fare as well as I had hoped but I am about14% ahead of the S&p and 10% ahead of the Naz.

Nice. FYI, I lost my balls some time ago with the market. I put aside 200k for my kids college about 6 years ago. It’s just sitting right now in a money market.  I swore I would never mess with it. But I didn’t see this coming.  My other stuff is just riding this out. I have to decide at some point if I’m going to go for it or sleep better. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nice. FYI, I lost my balls some time ago with the market. I put aside 200k for my kids college about 6 years ago. It’s just sitting right now in a money market.  I swore I would never mess with it. But I didn’t see this coming.  My other stuff is just riding this out. I have to decide at some point if I’m going to go for it or sleep better. 

Just pretend you are gambling. Forget the losses and trumpet the wins. Helps you sleep better at night. :lol:

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Just pretend you are gambling. Forget the losses and trumpet the wins. Helps you sleep better at night. :lol:

Oh to be single again...   not really, but to have the single mans attitude when it comes to money would be great. That was awesome. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh to be single again...   not really, but to have the single mans attitude when it comes to money would be great. That was awesome. 

I am married and try to do that. It is like a pitcher. You have to forget the HR’s. 

The only real money we have in the market now is in my wife’s 401K.  

We haven’t changed anything since this mess started and will continue to leave it alone until she retires.  She’s got another 20 years of working. 

33 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

The only real money we have in the market now is in my wife’s 401K.  

We haven’t changed anything since this mess started and will continue to leave it alone until she retires.  She’s got another 20 years of working. 

Nows the time to look at your portfolio. You should go over what funds she is in. if spread out and some is in conservative funds, you should move that to the riskiest stuff you can. We've already melted down so risky funds are already destroyed.

No idea what to do. About 5 years ago I realized I hate working more than anything. I started maxing out my 401k and limiting expenses to make sure I didn't have to work any longer than I have to. I want to retire young and in good shape and hike the world. I realize that there are going to be downturns but this is different. I'm 38, so I'm probably best off just leaving it there but it's depressing  knowing there is no chance I don't lose thousands of dollars tomorrow. Every bone in my body says "get out" because when the US starts piling up deaths rapidly everything is going to drop.

8 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

No idea what to do. About 5 years ago I realized I hate working more than anything. I started maxing out my 401k and limiting expenses to make sure I didn't have to work any longer than I have to. I want to retire young and in good shape and hike the world. I realize that there are going to be downturns but this is different. I'm 38, so I'm probably best off just leaving it there but it's depressing  knowing there is no chance I don't lose thousands of dollars tomorrow. Every bone in my body says "get out" because when the US starts piling up deaths rapidly everything is going to drop.

Its way too late to get out but what you can do is reallocate your $ to the most aggressive funds. If you were already there, you missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Let's see what's on the slate for this week.

1. New Home Sales - 3/24
  2. Mortgage Applications - 3/25
  3. Crude Oil inventories - 3/25
  4. Unemployment Claims - 3/26
  5. Retail inventories - 3/26
  6. GDP Estimate - 3/26

There ain't nothing but bad news coming this week.  It just depends on if the numbers are better than feared at this point.

Unemployment is going to be the real interesting one.  If it's below 525k, we'll be fine.  If it's something like 550k or above, I wouldn't be surprised if we close down 10% on just Thursday/Friday.

12 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

You missed the chance to get off the ship. Which is okay. You have to stay the course now. If anything you need to decide when to start buying.

15 hours ago, nobody said:

Let's see what's on the slate for this week.

1. New Home Sales - 3/24
  2. Mortgage Applications - 3/25
  3. Crude Oil inventories - 3/25
  4. Unemployment Claims - 3/26
  5. Retail inventories - 3/26
  6. GDP Estimate - 3/26

There ain't nothing but bad news coming this week.  It just depends on if the numbers are better than feared at this point.

Unemployment is going to be the real interesting one.  If it's below 525k, we'll be fine.  If it's something like 550k or above, I wouldn't be surprised if we close down 10% on just Thursday/Friday.

If congress passes this stimulus the market will jump.  Keep a close eye on it and try to jump in before it passes. 

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If congress passes this stimulus the market will jump.  Keep a close eye on it and try to jump in before it passes. 

I think that we already have seen that jump today. No?

8 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

You wanna see a dead cat bounce?