IGotWorms

Is it time to get out of the market?

AMC boys... down -15% today... ended up 3.09.

I've a limit order in in the morning...   look at the last week.. and month... lots of volatility... money to be made here I think.

If nothing else.... that thing should be huge for a long hold.

5 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

AMC boys... down -15% today... ended up 3.09.

I've a limit order in in the morning...   look at the last week.. and month... lots of volatility... money to be made here I think.

If nothing else.... that thing should be huge for a long hold.

You are back to making easy money.  Keep it up.

18 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

AMC pays a good dividend also right

With a depressed price the dividend is even a larger %.

28 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

With a depressed price the dividend is even a larger %.

Though... it seems a lot of companies have suspended dividends furing this whole thing I've noticed.

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Though... it seems a lot of companies have suspended dividends furing this whole thing I've noticed.

Or greatly reduced them.  I got a whopping $13 the other day from one fund.  :D

I think AMC may be a really good example of company who will be fine. They are probably not losing a ton of money right now just not making it. A lot of employees are part time and probably have been let go. Probably only overhead they have is rent and they have the capital for that. This will probably eliminate competition too

12 minutes ago, lod001 said:

I'd love to see sub 2000 on the  S&P.

I hate rooting for the markets to drop. I am pushing all in at the next big downturn.

Really? Who the fock is going to be getting on a cruise ship after this? You gotta be kidding me. 

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Really? Who the fock is going to be getting on a cruise ship after this? You gotta be kidding me. 

I wouldn't want to. But, I think about cruise lines and airplanes being the same type of petri dish. Even if half the people on the airplane are flying because of work, the other half are people going on vacation somewhere. 

We also don't know how much this virus was spread via air travel.  People don't spend days on a plane like they do on cruise ships. 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Once a vaccine is created people MAY go back to cruising as an inexpensive way to vacation.  I would not, but a vaccine would put an end to this stuff real quick.

That said, I have Norwegian Cruise Lines as a holding in a mid cap fund I own.

Does today look like a good day to move my remaining safe funds into the aggressive mix in my 401K? Just asking because you guys seem to know stuff.

5 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

I hate rooting for the markets to drop. I am pushing all in at the next big downturn.

Oh, so am i but it seems we are far from there yet. This could just be the start of the next selloff. 

4 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Does today look like a good day to move my remaining safe funds into the aggressive mix in my 401K? Just asking because you guys seem to know stuff.

I wouldn't. I got in too early last time but made it back on that dead cat bounce and got the fock out. The way the market is going over the past hour tells me we can easily go a lot lower.

9 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Nope today is the start of the dive to the next bottom.

56 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Lots of people. The deals that cruise lines will be pushing will be too much for idiots I mean people.

16 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Lots of people. The deals that cruise lines will be pushing will be too much for idiots I mean people.

I don’t think so. Invest in grills and backyard cooking stations. And Pools. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t think so. Invest in grills and backyard cooking stations. And Pools. 

You have more faith in humanity than I do. The minute those ships start sailing people will be cruising.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

You have more faith in humanity than I do. The minute those ships start sailing people will be cruising.

In went on one against my wishes. Ended up in the ER with strep as soon as I got home. And you may get a person or a couple to go on these things,  I doubt a group. Every cruise my parents went on was some sort of Irish group thing. And old people aren’t going to want to go on them either.  They better re-think and cater to the younger crowd.  Which means not charging an arm and a leg for beer and booze. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

In went on one against my wishes. Ended up in the ER with strep as soon as I got home. And you may get a person or a couple to go on these things,  I doubt a group. Every cruise my parents went on was some sort of Irish group thing. And old people aren’t going to want to go on them either.  They better re-think and cater to the younger crowd.  Which means not charging an arm and a leg for beer and booze. 

I've been on 3 (20 years ago) and planning a Disney cruise this year, but that's all on hold for a loooong while.

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have been on a couple.  Both were really good experiences. 

First one was with just my wife before we had kids.  Lots of fun on the ship and the excursions.  

Second one was in 2013 with the whole family, my brother (his family) and my mother.  It was during the Boston Marathon bombings, but it was still a really good trip otherwise.  

With that said, I really have no strong desire to get back on a ship (even though the ones I was on were the largest in the world at the time).  I definitely have less of a desire now with all of these viruses going around.  Add in that the cruise lines are not going to be propped up by the US government, and are getting focked by their own tax dodging and avoiding our labor laws. I would have a real hard time investing in the cruise lines now. 

Right now there are crusie ships that aren’t being allowed into port. People are stuck on them. Who is going to subject themselves to that possibility down the road? 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Right now there are crusie ships that aren’t being allowed into port. People are stuck on them. Who is going to subject themselves to that possibility down the road? 

The same kind of people who got on those ships to begin with. They knew the risk and went anyway. Once this blows over I'm telling you people will be sailing again.

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Landlubber  <_<

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

The same kind of people who got on those ships to begin with. They knew the risk and went anyway. Once this blows over I'm telling you people will be sailing again.

From an investment standpoint, I would also factor in that those dumb people might be dead at the end of this current crisis.  :lol:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/f8c41d02-406c-3965-820f-1694e6c0e495/despite-coronavirus.html

...analysts at UBS say their conversations with large US cruise lines show people are still feeling dreamy about sea-bound escapes.

“Booking volume in the last 30 days for 2021 is actually up 9% versus the same time last year,”

You guys probably follow this far more than I do, but have the 3 major indexes been tracking this close all the time?

DOW 20,943.51 -973.65 (-4.44%)

NASDAQ 7,360.58 -339.51 (-4.41%)

S&P500 2,470.50 -114.09 (-4.41%)

US Markets Closed

I’ll try this again. If you put 100k in an s&p index fund right now how much would that be worth if it got back to it’s all time high? Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You guys probably follow this far more than I do, but have the 3 major indexes been tracking this close all the time?

DOW 20,943.51 -973.65 (-4.44%)

NASDAQ 7,360.58 -339.51 (-4.41%)

S&P500 2,470.50 -114.09 (-4.41%)

US Markets Closed

I haven't watched that closely. But, I believe that that Dow is/was down more than the S&P YTD. 

Here's a list. The last column shows YTD change.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ll try this again. If you put 100k in an s&p index fund right now how much would that be worth if it got back to it’s all time high? Thanks. 

about 130k

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

As of today, the S&P is down 26% (25.66) from all time high. If you invest and the market goes back up, your $100k would be worth $126k. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Without dividends - $136,500