Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

When drafting do you pick best player available or by position of need in early rounds ?

I'm in a ppr league for starters. In my league  We can trade picks  for players for the following season.  I happen to have the number 2 and number 5 over all picks. My question to all of you is would you take a second running back at number 5 or pick the number one rated wide receiver on the board? We play with two starting rbs that is why I ask. I am torn on what to do. More then likely it will go Barkley, kamara, elliot and McCaffrey.  Looking for some sound advice from great fantasy ownersike yourself.  Tia.

any other time i would take the rb...but its ppr. You can take an extremely safe...in most cases WR who will produce for you at that spot. Hopkins or Davante would be my choice. 

• Like 1

I would do the top 2 rbs you can get then fill out. You turn around and go wr wr 

• Like 1

I mock my draft position to see what is available 4 to 5 rounds ahead.  base my picks off of value/scarcity of positions.

ie: if i mock taking two rbs with those two picks, what will my roster look like vs if I mock a rb/wr or rb/te....  

In general, best player available regardless of position is usually your best bet in round 1 and 2.

and when I say best player available, that does not necessarily mean the highest scoring player (which is often a QB)  but the player that gives you the biggest advantage over your peers.

I dont like to pigeon hole myself into picking a RB or a WR specifically in any given round because the draft rarely goes the way you think it will.

The fact that you have 2 first round picks should not change your strategy.

It is worth noting that having 2 early picks can force you to dictate the strategy other players have to take.

for example, if you take 2 RB's, and nail both picks, you will have a massive advantage at the RB position over everyone else in your league.

ditto if you take 2 WR's.  you will then have that same advantage at the WR position.

That being said, working this kind of strategy also playes into the whole 'Know your league' rule of drafting for fantasy football.

if you happen to know that 2 or 3 of the other players with top 6 draft picks are going for RB's...... then your grabbing of 2 RB's will immediately create a shortage at the position.  

if you get to pick 6 and all players off the board are RB's, the guy at pick 7 should be considering a non RB (unless a RB he had his eye on somehow dropped in the draft)

if people continue to follow the run on RB's you can go  into round 2 with the plan to draft a top WR or QB or (if drafting late in round 2) Kelce (top TE on the board).

If you wanna know where to rank Kelce, If following fftoday's chart, he projects to score similar points to Odell Beckham, but I feel he would be more valuable than Odell, because the drop to the next tier of TE is likely larger than the drop from Odell to the next Tier of WR.   That makes Kelce more valuable (in my opinion) because waiting a round to grab the next best player at the position, you stand to lose more fantasy points at the TE position than you do at the WR position. (this is the criteria I use to break ranking ties between comparable players at different positions)

anyhow, the bottom line is this:

when I draft my team, I try to put myself in a situation where my players at one position dominates what exists on teams elsewhere in the league.

so if you draft RB at 2 and 5, that puts you into a position of dominating that position battle against every team you play.   Ditto if you grab 2 WR's instead. 

• Like 1

If I had the #2 and #5 picks, I go Kamara/McC and then David Johnson at 5. That duo would put you head and shoulders above the rest of your league at RB, and it doesn't really set you back at the other positions. In the second and third round, you go WR/WR and still land a  WR1/WR2 duo that will be on par with every other team in you league. I rarely advocate to take a QB and TE early, but this would open up the possibility to take the right one in the fourth round if a top tier player is dropping due to everyone else reaching for RB's and WR's.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

If I had the #2 and #5 picks, I go Kamara/McC and then David Johnson at 5. That duo would put you head and shoulders above the rest of your league at RB, and it doesn't really set you back at the other positions. In the second and third round, you go WR/WR and still land a  WR1/WR2 duo that will be on par with every other team in you league. I rarely advocate to take a QB and TE early, but this would open up the possibility to take the right one in the fourth round if a top tier player is dropping due to everyone else reaching for RB's and WR's.  

This is what I have been thinking about doing. My only question is---is David  Johnson worth the 5 pick or go with Hopkins or Julio Jones?

I don't really understand this question. In round 1 everything is a position of need isn't it? You draft the player you think is going to give you the biggest advantage, which is going to depend on how comfortable you are with mid tier WR and RB in rounds 5-8 or so. If you like the mid round RB more than you like the mid round WR you take a RB and WR with your first two picks. If you like the WR in rounds 5-8 more than the RB you grab a pair of RB with your first two picks.

31 minutes ago, phins1921 said:

This is what I have been thinking about doing. My only question is---is David  Johnson worth the 5 pick or go with Hopkins or Julio Jones?

I like DJ this year. I'm higher on him this year than most seem to be. I wouldn't fault someone for taking Hopkins over him, but it's just not what I would do. I'm not a Cardinals fan, but I do live in AZ, so I hear a little more details about the Cardinals than most on here do. Here's the longish version of why I like DJ this year.

I think DJ catches a lot of passes this year, but also improves his rushing stats and total TD's. The offense last year was dreadful, and the coaching staff had no idea how to use DJ. Not only did they rarely use him in the passing game, but the majority of the running plays we're right up the gut behind the guard, which is DJ's least effective area. I believe Kingsburry and the new coaching staff will be a lot better at using DJ. Getting him involved in the passing game and running on the edge. Add in the threat of Murray running on RPO's and defenses won't be able to crash in on DJ like last year. One of the major knocks on DJ this year is that people have no idea exactly what the new offensive scheme will be or if it will work, because Kliff is a new and inexperienced head coach and NFL OC. What most people don't talk about are the assistants that the Cardinals brought in, namely Tom Clements. He has 21 years of experience in the league and worked as OC for the Packers for 10 years, in which they finished in the top 10 in passing every year and was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. The Cardinals made up some coaching title for him, but they brought him just so Kliff can bounce ideas off of a veteran offensive minded coach and have a collaboration of new and old philosophies.  

Back to your situation. My main thinking is that if you draft DJ, it's going to have teams chasing you for points at both RB1, RB2 and whatever position you pick in Round 4. If your WR1 and WR2 can match (or even come close) to other teams at those positions, it's going to be very hard for any team to make up the point differential you've created. Even if a team goes WR1 and WR2 in the first two rounds, they are going to have a massive hole at RB that will give you a distinct advantage. 

No matter how you pick, you should have a distinct advantage, but I like having two stud RB's. I think it's easier to find WR 1 and WR2 production in the second and third rounds.

• Like 1

Take either Barkley/Kamara at 2 , DJ at 5.   Kittle on the way back and then the best available WR.  Enjoy the championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brutal Brutus said:

if you draft early in round 2, you could Pike Zeke, and a WR or QB in round 1, then come back in round 2 to take David Johnson

the Zeke DJ combo would be plenty good.

(provided Zeke isnt dumb enough to hold out)

(and yes, I do think DJ should be avaliable early in round 2)

18 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if you draft early in round 2, you could Pike Zeke, and a WR or QB in round 1, then come back in round 2 to take David Johnson

the Zeke DJ combo would be plenty good.

(provided Zeke isnt dumb enough to hold out)

(and yes, I do think DJ should be avaliable early in round 2)

A QB in Round 1? I can't imagine ever taking a QB that high, but to each his own. 

Id take 1 of the 4 backs with your 1st pick, if a 2nd one is available with pick 5 id take him obviously or  Bell/DJ.

Assuming you pick 11th in the 2nd there will still be really good WR there but the RB would have started to thin.

The question is would you prefer   pairing  Dj/Bell    with Evans/Hilton/Keenan     or    Nuk/Adams with  DWill/AJones/Chubb

You're in a fine position either way.  I think its safer taking two rb top 5 as it could force people to take lower end RBs to scarcity leaving you with a better Wideout in the 2nd and 3rd.

5 hours ago, phins1921 said:

I don’t think DJ is worthy of that fifth pick. 

• Thanks 1

If you want to take a rb a that spot, take the Chubb. 

3 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

A QB in Round 1? I can't imagine ever taking a QB that high, but to each his own. 

I generally wont endorse picking a QB in round 1, but I suspect Mahomes has been good enough that people will do it. 

There are times in the past when Manning was that guy.

I'll point out that it also likely depends on the rules for your particular league.   In any league where TD's are at a premium, Mahomes would be so far above the next ranked QB you'd be dumb not to pick him.

5000 yards passing with 50 TD's is enough to make a lot of people drool for that potential.

Just sayin.

13 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I don’t think DJ is worthy of that fifth pick. 

no, not #5 overall.   if you draft early in round 2, hes a good candidate for that spot.

Early rounds I’m taking the next one up on my cheat sheet.  

As  the draft goes on, then it will become more positional 

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

no, not #5 overall.   if you draft early in round 2, hes a good candidate for that spot.

His adp is 5-6, he isn’t going to fall to rnd 2.

20 hours ago, tanatastic said:

His adp is 5-6, he isn’t going to fall to rnd 2.

My bad.

I was thinking standard rules, and he clearly stated PPR rules.  

In a PPR format I dont think he makes it to round 2.

in this scenario I"ll revise my original comments.  he is close to being worth the 5th pick in this format, but it largely depends on preference.

Barkley and DJ would make a powerful tandem in this format.

Kamara is good too, although I'm less comfortable with him, I feel good about his potential.

Just to update everybody the number one overall pick as a New York Giants fan so he is picking Barkley for sir. I will more than likely go with Kamara.  I believe it will boil down to David Johnson or hopkins at #5. Conner is the only other rb I can think of at 5. Advice still welcomed. 

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

What is your next pick after 5?

15 because of another trade then.my original pick at 23 both 2nd rd picks. This is how I pick

2, 5  1st rd

15, 23  2nd rd

26   3rd rd

46, 47  4th rd

7 hours ago, phins1921 said:

Just to update everybody the number one overall pick as a New York Giants fan so he is picking Barkley for sir. I will more than likely go with Kamara.  I believe it will boil down to David Johnson or hopkins at #5. Conner is the only other rb I can think of at 5. Advice still welcomed. 

The Chubb should be that pick. Not Conner. 

Chubb is the call at the pick.  

You got 3 early picks take who ever you want.  I would most likely go Johnson, Chubb, or WR at the 5.  With your first 3 picks pretty sure I would end up with 2 rb and 1 wr but it all depend on who is there.  With 23 I would try for Kelce  if he's there. 

good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

You got 3 early picks take who ever you want.  I would most likely go Johnson, Chubb, or WR at the 5.  With your first 3 picks pretty sure I would end up with 2 rb and 1 wr but it all depend on who is there.  With 23 I would try for Kelce  if he's there. 

good luck

Thank you that's my thinking 2 rbs 1 wr

I love DJ (we both went to Northern Iowa) but there are certainly doubts about him.  I think he will recover to his old form under Kingsbury, but what if his vaunted offense doesn't fly in the NFL?  Hopkins is as close to a sure thing as you can get barring injury.  The old adage on fantasy football certainly holds true - you can't win the championship in the 1st round but you can definitely lose it.  Do plenty of mocks.  What RB can you get in the 2nd round?  Didn't catch what pick you were in that round.  Dalvin Cook, A. Jones, D. Williams could possibly be there.  Gordon or Gurley might even be there.  Mahomes might be there (although I never take a QB that high).  I guess would you rather have Kamara/Hopkins/Cook or Kamara/DJ/K. Allen or Hilton?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NPNG said:

I love DJ (we both went to Northern Iowa) but there are certainly doubts about him.  I think he will recover to his old form under Kingsbury, but what if his vaunted offense doesn't fly in the NFL?  Hopkins is as close to a sure thing as you can get barring injury.  The old adage on fantasy football certainly holds true - you can't win the championship in the 1st round but you can definitely lose it.  Do plenty of mocks.  What RB can you get in the 2nd round?  Didn't catch what pick you were in that round.  Dalvin Cook, A. Jones, D. Williams could possibly be there.  Gordon or Gurley might even be there.  Mahomes might be there (although I never take a QB that high).  I guess would you rather have Kamara/Hopkins/Cook or Kamara/DJ/K. Allen or Hilton?

I pick 15th in 2nd it's to early to call but if DJ is back to.old form hard to pass on him

After a stud Rb at #2, I would not hesitate to go for Hopkins at #5 in a ppr.

Last season he had 103 receptions without a single drop.  He caught every pass thrown to him.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ray_T said:

I generally wont endorse picking a QB in round 1, but I suspect Mahomes has been good enough that people will do it. 

There are times in the past when Manning was that guy.

I'll point out that it also likely depends on the rules for your particular league.   In any league where TD's are at a premium, Mahomes would be so far above the next ranked QB you'd be dumb not to pick him.

5000 yards passing with 50 TD's is enough to make a lot of people drool for that potential.

Just sayin.

I'm in a 6 point TD (non-ppr) league with passing bonus for 300 & 350 yards passing.  Last year Mahomes finished almost 200 points more than the next guy.   One can make a case to take him 1st overall in my league.  He's only going to get better, i can see him going bonkers again this year.

Nope.  

I dont see him throwing for 50 tds again, I don’t think he’ll even do it again. 

So no he’s not worth a first round pick.  

3 hours ago, tanatastic said:

If Mahomes even throws for 40tds this season I’d be stunned. 

40 ads  is the new 30.  I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 guys flirt with that number.  Especially with these new rules 

3 minutes ago, Canadianfan said:

40 ads  is the new 30.  I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 guys flirt with that number.  Especially with these new rules 

For sure. It’s getting crazy.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, Skinny_Bastard said:

I'm in a 6 point TD (non-ppr) league with passing bonus for 300 & 350 yards passing.  Last year Mahomes finished almost 200 points more than the next guy.   One can make a case to take him 1st overall in my league.  He's only going to get better, i can see him going bonkers again this year.

better or not, he has lost a big tool that made the offense more effective and less predictable.

Kareem Hunt.

you may argue this means he throws the ball more, but I'd argue that opposing Defenses have a better idea of what they will do, so they will be able to better defend them.

While I feel yardage passing will only go down a small amount, I think TD's will drop due to the lost efficiency.

dont get me wrong, he still should be the first or second QB off the board.   I just dont think the gap between him and the rest of the QB's in the NFL will be nearly as large.

to that end, I think a decline in TD's by 5 to 8 is appropriate as far as predictions go.  and the drop may even be more substantial as Hunt's value is likely better felt in the red zone.