Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Kentucky is using 'shocking' boats to show just how bad its Asian carp problem is(video)

CNN

Asian carp are a serious problem, and Kentucky is getting creative in dealing with the invasive species.

To show how bad the issue is, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources used "shocking" boats to stun the carp so they'd float to the surface and could be collected and measured. Video shows countless fish leaping after the boat sent an electrical current through the water at Barkley Dam on Tuesday.

Stunning fish with electricity is a common practice when it comes to counting the population or tagging them, the department explained. The stunning does not kill the fish, only temporarily shocks them so they can be counted or caught.

"It's just to give folks an idea of how many fish we're dealing with below the dam. We collect and try to distribute to them to buyers," said Ron Brooks, the department's fisheries division director.

These carp were stunned, harvested and sold to buyers who make fertilizer, fish bait and even food products for humans.

:shocking:

Man, I hope they harvest those things for food at least....

I know lawyers ruin everything, but feeding the homeless with these things would seem to be a great way to go.

• Thanks 1

The local DNR and Army Corps is trying like hell to keep those things out of the great lakes.

• Thanks 1

I am waiting for some dumb fock to complain about how calling them "asian" carp is racist.  I am sure it has already begun.

Just now, Drizzay said:

The local DNR and Army Corps is trying like hell to keep those things out of the great lakes.

I had heard about the measures they are taking, and I wish them well, but i suspect its just a matter of time  😔

Went to an Army Corp lake and had those things swimming between my legs in 2 feet of water.  They are the apex fish.

Good eating too if they eat naturally.

22 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

WHEN they get into the great lakes. I say that because it cannot be stopped, it is gonna up. Some retard is gonna catch some and transport them to the lakes thinking they are cool.

22 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I am waiting for some dumb fock to complain about how calling them "asian" carp is racist.  I am sure it has already begun.

Far East Carp just doesn't have the ring to it.

1 minute ago, lod001 said:

WHEN they get into the great lakes. I say that because it cannot be stopped, it is gonna up. Some retard is gonna catch some and transport them to the lakes thinking they are cool.

Yea, it is inevitable.  Hopefully they find some virus or something that just affects these fish.

1 minute ago, lod001 said:

Far East Carp just doesn't have the ring to it.

Oriental Carp

26 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I know lawyers ruin everything, but feeding the homeless with these things would seem to be a great way to go.

Dood, nobody eats carp. 

I should say nobody with any common sense eats carp. 

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Dood, nobody eats carp. 

Yeah but they are homeless.

36 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

The problem is not that it is racist, but that it is only partly accurate. Mostly what people refer to as Asian carp are "Silver Carp", however there are other invasive species of carp from Asia including the grass carp.

Although people are technically wrong all the time when it comes to fish, ie brown trout is really not a trout, it is a char, etc.

19 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Dood, nobody eats carp. 

I would give them a try, fresh if i caught them myself. I have learned that many people base seafood taste based on the price at the store and are unable to tell a difference unless the fish are cooked fresh and side by side.

Snapper is 20+ dollars a pound when it is boneless/skinless, however there are many cheaper fish that are better(when fresh) like small black drum.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would give them a try, fresh if i caught them myself. I have learned that many people base seafood taste based on the price at the store and are unable to tell a difference unless the fish are cooked fresh and side by side.

Snapper is 20+ dollars a pound when it is boneless/skinless, however there are many cheaper fish that are better(when fresh) like small black drum.

Again, I have heard that carp that have fed naturally (not farm raised) are excellent eating.  Don't know if I have ever had it. 

Carp are dirty garbage eaters.  

Ive heard of back woods people smoking them then eating them.  But no thank you.

They are a big problem.  They can survive in anything it seems.  

I don't know anything about fish, from a wildlife perspective.  Why is this carp issue a problem in the first place?

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know anything about fish, from a wildlife perspective.  Why is this carp issue a problem in the first place?

They've inundated waterways along the Mississippi watershed and the Illinois and Missouri rivers. Carp populations grow at a rapid rate, and all their eating reduces the amount of food for other fish in the ecosystem.

"They were allowed to bring Asian and silver carp in to take care of algal blooms, and they used the fish and sold them to the ethnic markets, like Chinese markets," Brooks said. The four species of carp hale from Asia, averaging 8 to 10 pounds, but they vary in size, he added.

Carp are sensitive to noise, so when a boat motor disturbs the water, the fish leap out of the water. Silver carp can jump up to 10 feet high.

Rowers attacked by flying Asian carp

The big fish are famous for damaging fishing boats, breaking equipment on board and even injuring boaters.

You can find videos on Youtube of these fish jumping into boats that are traveling pretty fast, jumping into water skiers, people have gotten broken bones from it, it's pretty crazy.   

37 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Dood, nobody eats carp. 

Yes they do.  They just call it by other names like White fish. 

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They are not native to the US.  They are very aggressive and take over any waterway they are in by eating all of the bait fish other species survive on. 

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know anything about fish, from a wildlife perspective.  Why is this a problem in the first place?

They will outcompete native fish and starve them out.

https://www.tvo.org/article/how-an-asian-carp-invasion-could-destroy-great-lakes-fishing

Yet one thing is clear: “No Great Lake will be spared,” Gaden says. Asian carp will find habitat, food and spawning grounds everywhere they look. “It’s frightening.”

Gaden looks to sea lamprey for parallels to an Asian carp-filled Great Lakes future. The parasitic fish, which latches onto freshwater fish to drain them of their bodily fluids, entered the Great Lakes in the 1920s, quickly becoming the basin’s top predator. Lake trout populations were decimated by the 1940s, causing total commercial hauls from the Great Lakes to drop from millions of kilograms each year to a few thousand. At their postwar peak, sea lamprey killed 115 million Great Lakes fish annually.

The commercial fishing industry was hollowed out, as were shoreline communities dependent on commercial and recreational fisheries for survival. Charter fishing companies, marinas, motels, gas stations, boat and fishing retailers and restaurants all took a hit. Lamprey stunted fishing-related tourism throughout the basin, which only rebounded when the sea lamprey control program started in 1958 and annual losses were reduced to 10 million fish. Yet the dark days of the lamprey could return with Asian carp.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Carp are dirty garbage eaters.  

Ive heard of back woods people smoking them then eating them.  But no thank you.

They are a big problem.  They can survive in anything it seems.  

And here is a post by someone that knows nothing about fish.

Carp are some of the pickiest eaters and many are herbivores.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Drum is good eatin

46 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

And here is a post by someone that knows nothing about fish.

Carp are some of the pickiest eaters and many are herbivores.

😡

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

Denver's killing geeses for that.

Farling geese.

Should do the same thing with starlings and all sea birds. 

3 hours ago, Drizzay said:

They are easy to spot by the cameras around their fish necks. 

• Haha 2

Well, Kentucky has certainly come across a good way to shock them out of the water.

Dumbass that I am, it occurs to me that maybe with enough money, effort, and willpower using the Kentucky method, their numbers can be greatly reduced as per the lamprey successes of the 50s, no?

Thats the best they could do? A couple guys with little nets looks like they got them from the tropical fish shop scooping them up 1 by 1? 

26 minutes ago, nospk said:

Thats the best they could do? A couple guys with little nets looks like they got them from the tropical fish shop scooping them up 1 by 1? 

Yeah, that seems fishy...

4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

The problem is not that it is racist, but that it is only partly accurate. Mostly what people refer to as Asian carp are "Silver Carp", however there are other invasive species of carp from Asia including the grass carp.

Although people are technically wrong all the time when it comes to fish, ie brown trout is really not a trout, it is a char, etc.

What about trouser trout?  :unsure:

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What about trouser trout?  :unsure:

In your case, they are a member of the guppy species. 

6 hours ago, RLLD said:

You know, I was betting against this, and looked it up. The Asian carp feeds on plankton and algae and taste great. Not a mud sucking bottom feeder. Feeding the homeless is a great idea. In Maryland they have big hunts to feed the homeless, and poor, venison.

50 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

In Maryland they have big hunts to feed the homeless, and poor venison.

Why just poor venison? What about down on their luck cougars? Or unemployed bears?

Jesus, Bambi rooned a generation.

8 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

You can find videos on Youtube of these fish jumping into boats that are traveling pretty fast, jumping into water skiers, people have gotten broken bones from it, it's pretty crazy.   

link