Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Best player to never win a Heisman

I hate him, but Peyton Manning in 98

By what criteria? Were they in the race or did they bloom at the next level? 

LT never won a Heisman even though he was an all american and a defensive player. 

Troy Davis.

Back to back 2000 yard seasons...never done before or again. Comical that he didnt get one.

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Marcus Dupree.  Check out ESPN's 30/30 on him.  

Switzer says MD was not only better than Herschel Walker - but he was the most talented RB he's ever seen.

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Switzer says MD was not only better than Herschel Walker - but he was the most talented RB he's ever seen.

Yep.  Limited sample size, but when he was on the field as a freshman, he was unbelievable.  Unfortunately, he was also lazy and had no work ethic.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Yep.  Limited sample size, but when he was on the field as a freshman, he was unbelievable.  Unfortunately, he was also lazy and had no work ethic.  

Well that explains why none of us have a Heisman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bostonlager said:

1997?  That's probably one of the greatest debated Heisman votes ever.  I hate Michigan with every fiber of my being but Damn, Woodson was awesome that year.  I think I could take either side of that argument and make a good case.

The real crime in 1997 was the gift half of a national championship that Michigan was given.

Best Heisman winning player to win a Super Bowl? Has there ever been a more over-hyped, meaningless award?

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

Best Heisman winning player to win a Super Bowl? Has there ever been a more over-hyped, meaningless award?

This is played in, not won. 

• 1967 – Mike Garrett (Kansas City), Paul Hornung* (Green Bay)
  • 1968 – Billy Cannon (Oakland)
  • 1970 – Garrett* (Kansas City), John Huarte* (Kansas City)
  • 1971 – Roger Staubach (Dallas)
  • 1972 – Staubach* (Dallas)
  • 1976 – Staubach (Dallas)
  • 1978 – Staubach* (Dallas), Tony Dorsett (Dallas)
  • 1979 – Staubach (Dallas), Dorsett (Dallas)
  • 1981 – Jim Plunkett* (Oakland)
  • 1982 – Archie Griffin (Cincinnati)
  • 1984 – Marcus Allen* (Los Angeles Raiders), Plunkett* (Los Angeles Raiders)
  • 1988 – George Rogers* (Washington)
  • 1997 – Desmond Howard (Green Bay)
  • 2000 – Eddie George (Tennessee)
  • 2001 – Ron Dayne (New York Giants)
  • 2003 – Tim Brown (Oakland), Charles Woodson (Oakland)
  • 2004 – Chris Weinke (Carolina)
  • 2009 – Matt Leinart (Arizona)
  • 2011 – Charles Woodson* (Green Bay)
  • 2016 – Cam Newton (Carolina)

42 minutes ago, edjr said:

Geek of the Year?

19 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

This is played in, not won. 

• 1967 – Mike Garrett (Kansas City), Paul Hornung* (Green Bay)
  • 1968 – Billy Cannon (Oakland)
  • 1970 – Garrett* (Kansas City), John Huarte* (Kansas City)
  • 1971 – Roger Staubach (Dallas)
  • 1972 – Staubach* (Dallas)
  • 1976 – Staubach (Dallas)
  • 1978 – Staubach* (Dallas), Tony Dorsett (Dallas)
  • 1979 – Staubach (Dallas), Dorsett (Dallas)
  • 1981 – Jim Plunkett* (Oakland)
  • 1982 – Archie Griffin (Cincinnati)
  • 1984 – Marcus Allen* (Los Angeles Raiders), Plunkett* (Los Angeles Raiders)
  • 1988 – George Rogers* (Washington)
  • 1997 – Desmond Howard (Green Bay)
  • 2000 – Eddie George (Tennessee)
  • 2001 – Ron Dayne (New York Giants)
  • 2003 – Tim Brown (Oakland), Charles Woodson (Oakland)
  • 2011 – Charles Woodson* (Green Bay)
  • 2016 – Cam Newton (Carolina)

A defensive player in the answer? I don't count anything before I started watching, I have no clue how good they were.

I take that back. Marcus Allen is the answer.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, bostonlager said:

That really p!ssed me off back then. I was A huge vols fan, and Peyton was God around here. Fock Charles Woodson. 

7 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That really p!ssed me off back then. I was A huge vols fan, and Peyton was God around here. Fock Charles Woodson. 

Peyton played in a tough year. I can't say I saw him play in college but I got an eyeful of Woodson. Defensive players never win these things whereas QBs do all the time but Woodson was no ordinary defensive player and no QB should have beaten him. They both went on to have stellar NFL success and Peyton went on to be one of the best QBs of his generation but I didn't know that at the time, at the time it was: fock not another QB, not after this. A defensive player will never win if Woodson doesn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

Peyton played in a tough year. I can't say I saw him play in college gut I got an eyeful of Woodson. Defensive players never win these things whereas QBs do all the time but Woodson was no ordinary defensive player and no QB should have beaten him. They both went on to have stellar NFL success and Peyton went on to be one of the best QBs of his generation but I didn't know that at the time, at the time it was: fock not another QB, not after this. A defensive playe will never win if Woodson doesn't.

I would have agreed if it were any other year. 

I remember the cartoon at the time. There's the college commish at the time and a big gump with a T on his cap with Woodson running up.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy is .... INTERCEPTED BY WOODSON!!!

Fock Yeah. 

Woodson highlights from college.

The interception against Michigan State (starting at 8:52 and the next minute) is so singularly amazing with how high he leaps that they show it three times. Quite a few of the highlights are on offense since he was sprinkled in occasionally as well as his punt return TD against Ohio State. The offense was only really above average, it was the defense that won them the national championship that year.

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Woodson highlights from college.

The interception against Michigan State (starting at 8:52 and the next minute) is so singularly amazing with how high he leaps that they show it three times. Quite a few of the highlights are on offense since he was sprinkled in occasionally as well as his punt return TD against Ohio State. The offense was only really above average, it was the defense that won them the national championship that year.

That int is just sick. 

9 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

What part of TN are you from? I thought you were more Nashvegas and not a Knoxville dude. 

It's not like Peyton got passed up for a stiff. A lot of Heisman winners are duds in the NFL. Both Peyton and Woodson went in the draft together taken at 1 and 4 overall, played in many, many Pro Bowls in a long career, retired the same year and will likely be in the same Hall of Fame Class. Woodson is the only defensive player to ever win and is still the last non-QB/RB to win, it's not like Peyton was passed up for Ryan Leaf who generated plenty of pre-draft speculation that he could go #1 overall over Peyton that year. (Leaf had a pass picked off by Woodson in the Rose Bowl and sadly for him went on to distribute them like Halloween candy in his disastrously brief NFL career.)

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

What part of TN are you from? I thought you were more Nashvegas and not a Knoxville dude. 

I grew up in Memphis. Lived in Nashville most of my adult life.

My moms people are from Knoxville though, and real dad became a fan when he went to law school at UT, so I got it handed down.

And who else was I gonna be a fan of? Vandy? Ole miss? U of Memphis? 

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

It's not like Peyton got passed up for a stiff. A lot of Heisman winners are duds in the NFL. Both Peyton and Woodson went in the draft together taken at 1 and 4 overall, played in many, many Pro Bowls in a long career, retired the same year and will likely be in the same Hall of Fame Class. Woodson is the only defensive player to ever win and is still the last non-QB/RB to win, it's not like Peyton was passed up for Ryan Leaf who generated plenty of pre-draft speculation that he could go #1 overall over Peyton that year. (Leaf had a pass picked off by Woodson in the Rose Bowl and sadly for him went on to distribute them like Halloween candy in his disastrously brief NFL career.)

I like Woodson but he wasn't even the top defensive prospect in that draft; that was Andre Wadsworth, DE from FSU, whom the Cards picked #3 ahead of Woodson.  We were all super psyched since the Cards had Jake Plummer so who needed Manning :lol: , we were getting the best talent in the draft$#@!  Several knee injuries later Wadsworth was cut after 3 seasons and never came back.  :wall:

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I like Woodson but he wasn't even the top defensive prospect in that draft; that was Andre Wadsworth, DE from FSU, whom the Cards picked #3 ahead of Woodson.  We were all super psyched since the Cards had Jake Plummer so who needed Manning :lol: , we were getting the best talent in the draft$#@!  Several knee injuries later Wadsworth was cut after 3 seasons and never came back.  :wall:

Just because he had a defensive player go above him in the draft does not make him the lesser player. At that point the cards drafted based off the need of a DE not a CB.  Not only did chuck do great in college he was great in the nfl too. 

On 8/2/2019 at 1:21 PM, bostonlager said:

Not sure I'd give these two credit.