Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Zero RB in a non ppr?

I've never really pulled the trigger on this but I'm drafting 10th out of 12 in a non PPR and I hate the running backs that are going to be available.

Obviously this strategy is much better in a ppr format but should you just avoid it in a non PPR? Or can it still work?

(All tds 6 points)

Just now, Mike FF Today said:

What's your starting lineup requirements, roster size, etc?

1 qb

2 rb

2 wr

1 TE

1 flex

Def, K

So your talking about your first round pick I take it.  

In a non ppr and if I have a late pick yes I’m taking the best available on my chart, if that’s a wr I’m going wr. 

But don’t go pass the second round in taking a rb, I wouldn’t go two WRs in a non ppr league. 

This was a great question, thanks. 

This is interesting, I’m at 12 in same format and was thinking I need to go RB/RB. 😆

I am keeping a WR though. 

8 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

1 qb

2 rb

2 wr

1 TE

1 flex

Def, K

Dude go wr/wr. In a 2 wideout format it does not matter who you have it matters who you can play. then grab one of the qbs to stack and follow up with rbs.  Do a mock to see who you think would be there. Draft people like CJ anderson who is behind an injury prone starter. 

I could stomach it better if your league started 3 WRs and a flex, but I think it's still viable to start WR heavy in this case. Do owners typically start a WR or RB in the Flex? You'll need to gauge your league/draft and likely use a mild version of zero-RB.

20 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You don't like Mixon or Chubb? I would be perfectly fine with one of those two as my rb1

In the 1st round or early 2nd? No not really.

That bengals team is going to be a mess all year and a little bit worried about negative game scripts. I don't mind chubb but I'm not crazy about him either.

But..I'm not much of a gambler in the first couple rounds 

I'm just spit balling my game plan here but thinking of going Julio in the 1st.

If thomas or Adam's is there early 2nd I'll grab one. If not grab Kelce. 

It kelce goes (we have alot of chiefs fans in league) grab Thomas/Adams... then in 3rd if ertz and kittles both available grab best WR and hope one of those elite TE is there in 4th.

Having said that it probly won't go anywhere near this way at all.

I never have and never will consider zero RB. Can't have enough RBs to make it through a season.

In fact, I loved it when it was fad and others were trying it out for a couple years. 

12 minutes ago, sderk said:

I never have and never will consider zero RB. Can't have enough RBs to make it through a season.

In fact, I loved it when it was fad and others were trying it out for a couple years. 

I completely understand. My only thing is I scour the waivers and news more than anyone in the league so I usually can pick up a guy. I don't know. I just don't like some of those guys at the bottom and start of the 2nd round as far as safety.

I don't understand a zero anything in the first few rounds. If you spend the time to develop a draft board, the best strategy, for me at least, is take your top rated guys in the first four rounds, then maybe pay attention to position or need. If you like those receivers better than the RB's then take them because you like them better, easy, cheesy, japeneesy... 

its your team you can take who ever you want.  if you think zero rb will win you a championship. go for it. sometimes thinking outside of the box is the best move. personally I think I would take Adams and Thomas over Julio.

If you find value RBs later and pair them with your early WRs and QB etc you will be good. If you don’t, you will be hurting at RB all year and relying on your WRs to stay elite all season. It’s perfectly viable, it just puts more pressure on hitting those lotto tickets.

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

So your talking about your first round pick I take it.  

In a non ppr and if I have a late pick yes I’m taking the best available on my chart, if that’s a wr I’m going wr. 

But don’t go pass the second round in taking a rb, I wouldn’t go two WRs in a non ppr league. 

This was a great question, thanks. 

Cheat sheet. 

When you pick whom ever is next up go get him. 

Later in the draft worry about postion drafting, but once again don’t wait to long for Rbs in a non ppr. 

That is all. 

I'll go Zero RB if i can get Hopkins/Jones to pair with JuJu/Adams/Thomas.

After the top 4 RB, i think there's a large middle tier RB you can get from round 3 to 5.

My buddy went zero running back last year and came in second to my team. He drafted Rodgers which hurt him, in the 3rd. His running backs ended up being pretty good the final few weeks off of waivers and trades

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

His running backs ended up being pretty good the final few weeks off of waivers and trades

This is the key. In season moves, waivers, trades, FA are far more important to a season than the draft. Some years I end up with like 1 or two drafted guys left on a roster. If you find breakouts and valuable free agents, your draft doesn’t matter much.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

This is the key. In season moves, waivers, trades, FA are far more important to a season than the draft. Some years I end up with like 1 or two drafted guys left on a roster. If you find breakouts and valuable free agents, your draft doesn’t matter much.

I can never find a running back off the waiver. Any running back that comes from the waiver wire and ends up winning championships, it never is on my team. I did get Jamaal Williams last year I guess, but that is the only example I can think of. Maybe the other is all the way back to Steve Slaton. 

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I can never find a running back off the waiver. Any running back that comes from the waiver wire and ends up winning championships, it never is on my team. I did get Jamaal Williams last year I guess, but that is the only example I can think of. Maybe the other is all the way back to Steve Slaton. 

Just need to be aggressive in the early part of the season.

Aggressive yes,  but if your team starts out really good, it’s hard to get those early waiver wire picks. 

7 hours ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Im aggressive, I just always pick the wrong guy

12 hours ago, tanatastic said:

I ended up with 2 players I drafted last year. 

15 hours ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Indeed. I’ve let a lot of studs slip through my fingers. That one Alex Smith insane year I got him as free agent and everyone said ah just a fluke game. He was an MVP the whole year pretty much and I forget what QB I drafted but he was a waste.

I'm in a non-PPR keeper league and will be keeping D. Cook in the 6th and M. Thomas in the 2nd based on 2018 fantasy points. I also have the option of keeping CMC at 5 overall but based on value I am releasing McCaffrey and keeping Cook. We can keep two players, but only one per position.

That said, I am thinking of drafting Hopkins (if he's not kept by his current owner) or Adams at 1.5. The top RB's I'm projecting to be there are D. Johnson, Conner and Mixon. And to go completely off the board I might grab K. Allen, Hilton, Cooks, Diggs, Kittle, Ertz, Woods or Thielen in the 3rd. and then go RB rounds 4 and 5 with Cook set in the 6th.

We play 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE combo with no flex. In my opinion with 3 receivers and 2 running backs in the starting line-up, receivers are more valuable but RB depth is always an issue.

And, the discussion here about aggressively adding FA's is a non-issue in my league.  We are capped at 10 transactions per season.  We really wanted to emphasize the importance of the draft.  The last two years when bye weeks for my K and D/ST have come I have chosen not to replace them and I took a zero at that spot.

29 minutes ago, Fearsome said:

And, the discussion here about aggressively adding FA's is a non-issue in my league.  We are capped at 10 transactions per season.  We really wanted to emphasize the importance of the draft.  The last two years when bye weeks for my K and D/ST have come I have chosen not to replace them and I took a zero at that spot.

I have a league like this too

On 8/7/2019 at 2:05 AM, weepaws said:

Aggressive yes,  but if your team starts out really good, it’s hard to get those early waiver wire picks. 

This is why our 12 man league is a free for all,no rewarding teams that suck,the WW wire is open 24/7 on a first come first served basis.Your $200 entry gets you 7 transactions and after that $5 each.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:38 PM, cyclone24 said:

I've never really pulled the trigger on this but I'm drafting 10th out of 12 in a non PPR and I hate the running backs that are going to be available.

Obviously this strategy is much better in a ppr format but should you just avoid it in a non PPR? Or can it still work?

(All tds 6 points)

I'm also in a non ppr and have utilized the strategy more times than not when having a pick 9 or higher,the earliest I recall being 20 years ago when I got Randy Moss and Torry Holt at 1:12 and 2:1,that worked out great.Like Mike mentioned though our league starts 3 wr's and a flex so we're probably better suited for it.I'm picking 9 this year and am going with it again unless something very unusual happens which having the draft tomorrow night(too early imo) and with these holdouts is a possibility.