Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Is there a way to stop the shootings?

Something as far as gun control is coming. And the NRA and the republicans are not going to be able to stop it. Many republicans are going to support it. And so is the president. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Something as far as gun control is coming. And the NRA and the republicans are not going to be able to stop it. Many republicans are going to support it. And so is the president. 

I dare them to knock on my door and try to take any of them. 

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I dare them to knock on my door and try to take any of them. 

It won't be anything like that. Maybe down the road, but not now. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It won't be anything like that. Maybe down the road, but not now. 

Even better if I'm older. I know I will perish in the melee, but I'll get atleast 10 of them first. 

17 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Chipping firearms completely defeats the purpose of the second amendment and is stupid. Since the government would have control of when those chips activated or deactivated. Really shortsighted idea.

To that I would say why would a hunter need their firearm active in places like a mall or a store or a bank or what have you. Can’t see how that infringes much on what they would have bought the gun for. 

4 minutes ago, josh wiley said:

To that I would say why would a hunter need their firearm active in places like a mall or a store or a bank or what have you. Can’t see how that infringes much on what they would have bought the gun for. 

Your idea is silly. 

1. How are you going to microchip the 300 million guns in the US today? Who is going to pay for it?

2. What are you going to do when only law abiding citizens show up to have their guns chipped?

3. What are you going to do when the thugs go on youtube and watch a video on how to remove the chip?

This fantasy idea will do nothing to reduce crime, it only puts a burden on those that obey the law. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Your idea is silly. 

1. How are you going to microchip the 300 million guns in the US today? Who is going to pay for it?

2. What are you going to do when only law abiding citizens show up to have their guns chipped?

3. What are you going to do when the thugs go on youtube and watch a video on how to remove the chip?

This fantasy idea will do nothing to reduce crime, it only puts a burden on those that obey the law. 

Okay fair enough if the answer to this question is that there is no answer fine. Was just throwing an idea out there. All of the guns currently in circulation would be a major flaw but was looking toward the future

10 minutes ago, josh wiley said:

While your use model makes sense, his point is that we would be giving the government the power to turn them off whenever they wanted to, which is extremely dangerous from a liberty perspective.

Just now, josh wiley said:

Okay fair enough if the answer to this question is that there is no answer fine. Was just throwing an idea out there. All of the guns currently in circulation would be a major flaw but was looking toward the future

That's great - you add a technology to a gun that means law abiding citizens will have to pay extra money for. 

Those that have intentions of breaking the law will find a way to remove the chip rendering this technology useless or they will find one of the 300 grandfathered guns that will remain on earth for the next 500 years. We will probably have ray guns by the time this technology became useful. 

Oh and i’m Not a big proponent of things being chipped/monitored but going on the idea that they would be chipped in their construction in such a way that taking the chip out would essentially render them not active

Just now, josh wiley said:

Oh and i’m Not a big proponent of things being chipped/monitored but going on the idea that they would be chipped in their construction in such a way that taking the chip out would essentially render them not active

Guns have too many interchangeable parts for this to be a possibility. 

The only thing we should worry about microchipping is dogs, retards, and old people with dementia in case they get lost. 

3 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

The only thing we should worry about microchipping is dogs, retards, and old people with dementia in case they get lost. 

You don't need to chip old people. Just wait until they show up at Golden Corral. 

59 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've mentioned it often; I think mental health is the key but I don't know the answer.  I'm hesitant to let the government just take someone's gun because somebody accuses them of being crazy, and I'm hesitant to dissuade people from seeking help. :dunno:

I think it’s a mental health issue too. I don’t see any fair way to restrict people from owning a gun on mental health grounds unless they’re an ex con or civilly committed or something. For these reasons I think the most efficient way to reduce the risk of mass shootings is to restrict the types of firearms that are commercially available, to limit the damage.

All that said I think the media and public are way over focused on mass shootings vs day to day gun violence. 

1 hour ago, josh wiley said:

This suggestion is out there, but what about putting some sort of microchip in firearms. Then commercial areas could set up a sort of reverse electric fence where whenever these weapons entered certain areas they would be electronically deactivated. Probably would be a whole lot more hassle time and cost if it was even reasonably possible but just throwing out what crossed my mind. Obviously plenty of guns already in circulation but I guess if most all other countries could get on board with the same thing who knows it might help certain possible instances in the future. Can’t wait for u all to tell me how dumb this is so have at it

Your idea is dumb because you don't know the basics of how a gun works. Along with how many guns are out there

Go do some very basic research and come back after you learn why your idea is dumb.

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Your idea is dumb because you don't know the basics of how a gun works. Along with how many guns are out there

Go do some very basic research and come back after you learn why your idea is dumb.

You need geofence alound flidge fatty. 

4 hours ago, BLS said:

It appears that mental health is very much in play in regards to the Dayton Shooter.

This blogger used to date him: https://medium.com/@_adeliajohnson_/my-ex-boyfriend-was-the-dayton-shooter-2b7f2d792b68

One of the comments at the bottom- 

"This author is dumb and ugly as dirt. Looks like a coalburner tbh."

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I know what you’re saying the basics of a gun is more or less mechanical. I get it. No reason with our tech they couldn’t figure out a way. I pretty much expected to be rebutted by u all, but I guess putting it out there never hurts. Just in case there’s one part of my thought that makes any sense

8 minutes ago, josh wiley said:

I know what you’re saying the basics of a gun is more or less mechanical. I get it. No reason with our tech they couldn’t figure out a way. I pretty much expected to be rebutted by u all, but I guess putting it out there never hurts. Just in case there’s one part of my thought that makes any sense

New ideas are better than none.  I don't see how this one could work well though.

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

Or, the more likely scenario, what are you going to do when we don't? 

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

We've also had assault rifles for decades, why are mass shootings going up?  And I'd be interested to see if your claim about mental health rates is accurate, because it seems like we've raised an entire generation of people with zero skills to cope with adversity, and who embrace having something "different" about themselves.  :(

I've mentioned it often; I think mental health is the key but I don't know the answer.  I'm hesitant to let the government just take someone's gun because somebody accuses them of being crazy, and I'm hesitant to dissuade people from seeking help. :dunno:

On mental health being a red herring, I have read several recent article.  Here is one:  https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-reduce-gun-violence-ask-some-scientists/

Here is another:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-paso-dayton-mass-shootings-role-of-mental-illness/

Mental illness isn't main driver of mass shootings, experts say

About the ban on assault rifles, here is the findings of a report published after the ban that was in effect in 1994-2004. https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=01586154-201901000-00002

Mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the federal ban period

36 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Or, the more likely scenario, what are you going to do when we don't? 

Good point. Microchipping leads to tracking which leads to confiscation.  

Just saw this article and would welcome Joe Biden to my front door  

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-assault-weapons-ban-shootings

This kind of talk makes guys like me go buy more. As of now I plan on buying 3-4 more rifles between now and the election. I currently only have one “scary machine gun” as the lefty pussies would call them (Bushmaster XM-15). 

37 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

On mental health being a red herring, I have read several recent article.  Here is one:  https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-reduce-gun-violence-ask-some-scientists/

Here is another:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-paso-dayton-mass-shootings-role-of-mental-illness/

About the ban on assault rifles, here is the findings of a report published after the ban that was in effect in 1994-2004. https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=01586154-201901000-00002

The Clinton AWB was proven to have zero impact on crime, whatsoever. Which is exactly why it was allowed to sunset. If there were any noticeable, provable decrease in crime, including mass shootings, the ban would have been extended or made permanent. 

38 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Good point. Microchipping leads to tracking which leads to confiscation.  

Just saw this article and would welcome Joe Biden to my front door  

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-assault-weapons-ban-shootings

This kind of talk makes guys like me go buy more. As of now I plan on buying 3-4 more rifles between now and the election. I currently only have one “scary machine gun” as the lefty pussies would call them (Bushmaster XM-15). 

California recently implemented mandatory registration of "assault weapons." Citizens were required to get rid of, move out of state, remove any of the banned furniture or register, any semi-auto rifle the state had designated an assault weapon. The registration numbers were surprisingly smaller than expected. 

I lost all my guns in the wildfires last year so I didn't have anything to register. :(

7 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

California recently implemented mandatory registration of "assault weapons." Citizens were required to get rid of, move out of state, remove any of the banned furniture or register, any semi-auto rifle the state had designated an assault weapon. The registration numbers were surprisingly smaller than expected. 

I lost all my guns in the wildfires last year so I didn't have anything to register. :(

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I have all my stuff insured. I have more firearm insurance than life insurance. :ninja: 

I don’t know what these wackos expect- people are not going to comply and they can’t throw us all in prison. 

Soooooo I just wanted to mention that while he had a mixture of drugs in his system betts was using and abusing.....wait for it........wait for it. A SSRI. One of these 

• Citalopram (Celexa)
  • Escitalopram (Lexapro)
  • Fluoxetine (Prozac)
  • Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
  • Sertraline (Zoloft)
  • Vilazodone (Viibryd)

On 8/6/2019 at 3:43 PM, 5-Points said:

The Clinton AWB was proven to have zero impact on crime, whatsoever. Which is exactly why it was allowed to sunset. If there were any noticeable, provable decrease in crime, including mass shootings, the ban would have been extended or made permanent. 

They ask for a study, you give the above decade long study and it's blaaahhahahhhhhhahhhhhh can't here you. They want a straight up Australia and Britain BAN. Eat sh!t

On 8/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, bostonlager said:

Less diversity equals less violence. We should take a play out of the Japan notebook and quit bringing in foreigners. 

Don't want Mass shootings? 

Don't have unsecured Mass gatherings.

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Don't want Mass shootings? 

Don't have unsecured Mass gatherings.

True and this is something I view these days as common sense. I do not go to events or concerts or anywhere that is going to draw big crowds. More so because I hate crowds and people. I used to hang out in the Oregon District where the Dayton shooting was almost every weekend 15-20 years ago. I’m not trying to sound all old or go full Herm Edwards here but nothing good happens after midnight. If you’re at a bar at 1:00-2:00 am and you die be it a gun shot, drunk driver, or whatever - that’s on you. If you were a person that was more responsible you would still be alive. 

• Like 1

As much as I loathe the federal government, I'm completely OK with them redirecting some of the billions they piss away on bullshit and start helping those with mental health issues.

Instead of helping them, we incarcerate them.  Then we wonder why we have mental health problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BLS said:

As much as I loathe the federal government, I'm completely OK with them redirecting some of the billions they piss away on bullshit and start helping those with mental health issues.

Instead of helping them, we incarcerate them.  Then we wonder why we have mental health problems.

21 minutes ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/08/philly-cop-shooter-identified-maurice-hill-has-a-long-police-record-shot-six-police-officers/

Maurice Hill - Filthadelphia cop shooter wasn't permitted to own a gun.

How are more gun laws going to stop these shootings?

Well, the question is, how did he get it? At some point it was obtained legally. Let's start there and see where it takes us. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, bostonlager said:

So basically the entire Geek Club is what you are saying?

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, the question is, how did he get it? At some point it was obtained legally. Let's start there and see where it takes us. 

Probably stolen by him or someone he knows. 

Here in Georgia over the last several years there were rashes of break ins of POVs (personally owned vehicles) at Fire stations. Most firemen own firearms and carry but can't have them in the firehouse so they keep them in their vehicles. 

Point being, no amount of laws will stop someone from hurting others if they so desire to.

1 minute ago, Filthy Fernadez said:

Probably stolen by him or someone he knows. 

Here in Georgia over the last several years there were rashes of break ins of POVs (personally owned vehicles) at Fire stations. Most firemen own firearms and carry but can't have them in the firehouse so they keep them in their vehicles. 

Point being, no amount of laws will stop someone from hurting others if they so desire to.

Well, most guns used in the commission of a crime are purchased on the street. Sure some are stolen, but not that many. So, lets find  the  actual source of all these illegal weapons.  Where do the ones that aren't stolen come from?