Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Geek brains unite...need help

Have an uncle ...about to hit 70...been disabled from car wreck most of his life.  My inlaws were his primary caregiver.  They are too old now.  Need to figure out how to get him some home health services...or whatever.  Assisted living..who knows.  Live in ohio.  I dont even know what medicare or medicaid plan he has.  

Gonna call around and try to get a counselor

The parents of that lizzy Warren inspired shooter may have some space in their basement available? 

Too soon?

Paint him brown and have him walk across the southern boarder.  He'll be set. 

• Haha 1

Has he been living with you?  I thought your inlaws moved in.  Were they getting paid to care for him?  My mom has someone from Medicare who calls her about once a year, I assume he is a counselor.  Your uncle might already have one.  It seems like you could call Medicare and get some help though.

3 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Have an uncle ...about to hit 70...been disabled from car wreck most of his life.  My inlaws were his primary caregiver.  They are too old now.  Need to figure out how to get him some home health services...or whatever.  Assisted living..who knows.  Live in ohio.  I dont even know what medicare or medicaid plan he has.  

Nursing home

55 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Nursing home

Roughly $8k per month, unless he's broke and has no assets and doesn't have a wife with money.  If he has any $, they will get it. (Unless its in cash) 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Roughly $8k per month, unless he's broke and has no assets and doesn't have a wife with money.  If he has any $, they will get it. (Unless its in cash) 

Yup.  I’m taking the liberty to extrapolate he doesn’t have any money.  Medicaid it will be.

5 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Check with your county and see if Adult Foster Care is available. 

If he's got no $, nursing home. If he is wealthy, go with in home care. A friend of my dad uses this. They come in every day I believe and he lives alone. You have got to have this in your area.

My dad takes care of my mom now because they have way too much $ to put her in a nursing home. We also use in home care. People come in at different times so dad can go out. A nursing home would drain that fast and it's too late to hide it or give it to us.

22 minutes ago, lod001 said:

If he's got no $, nursing home. If he is wealthy, go with in home care. A friend of my dad uses this. They come in every day I believe and he lives alone. You have got to have this in your area.

My dad takes care of my mom now because they have way too much $ to put her in a nursing home. We also use in home care. People come in at different times so dad can go out. A nursing home would drain that fast and it's too late to hide it or give it to us.

Yep.  5 year "look back". Money woulda needed to be out of his name 5+ years ago.  

Pop a cap in his ass and take the inheritance.   :bandana:

No money...been handicapped..physically for over 58 years.

Didnt have lawsuits back then...in fact when his mom passed..him and siblings sent to foster care

Check out the >50 y/o chicks on a Haitian dating site.

Help? Help? See how social services are needed when you need help. See how cruel it is to call someone lazy and worthless and a loser when they fall on hard times and need assistance. Let's see how conservative politics and pull yourself up by your bootstraps helps in this instance.

I hope you all are rich or have loving kids to care for you until your dying days because you too will face this scenario one day, handicapped or not.

13 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

No money...been handicapped..physically for over 58 years.

Find out if he is getting SSI

Let me know the answer.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

See how cruel it is to call someone lazy and worthless and a loser when they fall on hard times and need assistance. Let's see how conservative politics and pull yourself up by your bootstraps helps in this instance.

I hope you all are rich or have loving kids to care for you until your dying days because you too will face this scenario one day, handicapped or not.

Most of us here are fine with public assistance when its needed.  We are good with it when someone falls on hard times.  But,  most of us here, don't consider "would rather play Xbox than work" falling on hard times. 

It chaps the hide of most of us when it abused.   We will call people lazy for using public assistance "because they can" (and not because its needed), because those type of people are lazy. 

• Like 1

Need so much more information. 

Where does he currently live?  How "bad" is his disability and/or overall health?  Does he have any other income or any income at all?

39 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Most of us here are fine with public assistance when its needed.  We are good with it when someone falls on hard times.  But,  most of us here, don't consider "would rather play Xbox than work" falling on hard times. 

It chaps the hide of most of us when it abused.   We will call people lazy for using public assistance "because they can" (and not because its needed), because those type of people are lazy. 

Stop it, people call entire groups of people lazy without knowing a thing about them.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Help? Help? See how social services are needed when you need help. See how cruel it is to call someone lazy and worthless and a loser when they fall on hard times and need assistance. Let's see how conservative politics and pull yourself up by your bootstraps helps in this instance.

Sorry peenie. Long before Government got involved, it was the family unit and the church that was always there. Why do you think Democrats actively try to destroy those 2 institutions?  They want you reliant on the gubmint. 

34 minutes ago, peenie said:

Stop it, people call entire groups of people lazy without knowing a thing about them.

I feel okay with calling groups of people who play video games instead of working and expecting public assistance to be lazy.

39 minutes ago, peenie said:

He seemed to single out the lazy ones. Why cant moonbat dumbocrats like you ever see that?

46 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

He does collect ssi disability.  We dont know if he has medicaid or not

Next, try to get Medicare AND Medicaid for him.

He will qualify for Medicare if he's worked for over 10 years. He will qualify for Medicaid if he's very poor. He may have these already.

Let me know the answer.

10 hours ago, peenie said:

There's a difference between being handicapped and sitting on the porch smoking blunts 

www.visitingangels.com

Yeah I’d look into any federal, state or local help you can.  Disability - Medicaid / Medicare etc.  Sounds like he needs around the clock care so either assisted living or an in home nurse / caregiver.  You just gotta research.

one thing I was surprised to learn after the fact was that the government will actually pay you to be a caregiver to a family member. I don't know all the particulars but it's something worth looking into if you have extra family members.

39 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

There should be a 5 year lifetime limit for Welfare.

There is a 5 year limit on welfare. It is now called TANF. 

14 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Sorry peenie. Long before Government got involved, it was the family unit and the church that was always there. Why do you think Democrats actively try to destroy those 2 institutions?  They want you reliant on the gubmint. 

There is still the Little Sisters of the Poor.  They are an order of nuns that take care of the elderly.  They have several branches across the US.

http://www.littlesistersofthepoor.org/locations/u-s-homes-2/

It looks like you are probably in Cleveland.  Unfortunately, the LSP branch in Cleveland closed in 2015. The closest one is in Cincinnati.

www.littlesistersofthepoorcleveland.org

4 hours ago, riversco said:

There is still the Little Sisters of the Poor.  They are an order of nuns that take care of the elderly.  They have several branches across the US.

http://www.littlesistersofthepoor.org/locations/u-s-homes-2/

It looks like you are probably in Cleveland.  Unfortunately, the LSP branch in Cleveland closed in 2015. The closest one is in Cincinnati.

www.littlesistersofthepoorcleveland.org

Yes. An incredible group of women as are all Sisters. They accept anyone but dementia cases seem to be their biggest group. If you ever see a LSOP give generously.

5 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

How do shiitbags live whole lifetimes on assistance? Make all forms of assistance temporary.

Some people don't have temporary handicaps.

13 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

We are going to get a caseworker...see what we can figure out

It can really be overwhelming without someone to guide you. It amazes me that people think being poor and getting a pittance of government assistance is some sort of lottery prize.  I'm hoping getting the services he needs can be done quickly online instead of waiting in long lines.  Good luck.

1 minute ago, peenie said:

It can really be overwhelming without someone to guide you. It amazes me that people think being poor and getting a pittance of government assistance is some sort of lottery prize.  I'm hoping getting the services he needs can be done quickly online instead of on line.  Good luck.

You did good. :first:

• Like 1