Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

How much is seeing in color worth to you?

What an interesting question.

I don’t mind black and white movies, or black and white photographs.

So part of me thinks, meh what’s the big deal?

But no color in life, ever... that just seems devoid somehow. 

So I dunno, I’m gonna say a couple million? Might be kind of high though 

Not to go all GFIAFP on you guys, but one time, back when we were still using DVD players, I wired the cables wrong and everything was in black and white. Watched like five movies before I figured it out — just thought they were all arty and sh1t.

Actually wasn’t bad at all, sometimes I miss it :dunno:

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Not to go all GFIAFP on you guys, but one time, back when we were still using DVD players, I wired the cables wrong and everything was in black and white. Watched like five movies before I figured it out — just thought they were all arty and sh1t.

Actually wasn’t bad at all, sometimes I miss it :dunno:

Black and white movies didn't go away. You can still watch them.

And in addition to that you can still see your kids faces and drawings and enjoy cool car paint jobs and masterpiece paintings and see the vibrancy of life before your eyes while you are alive on this earth. But it seems some prefer some extra money in the bank when simply working for a living could suffice to pay the bills and allow for senses to bring things into their lives that money cannot buy. :mellow:

10 hours ago, sderk said:

Black and white movies didn't go away. You can still watch them.

And in addition to that you can still see your kids faces and drawings and enjoy cool car paint jobs and masterpiece paintings and see the vibrancy of life before your eyes while you are alive on this earth. But it seems some prefer some extra money in the bank when simply working for a living could suffice to pay the bills and allow for senses to bring things into their lives that money cannot buy. :mellow:

Okay buddy. It’s just an interesting thought experiment—no need to get up in arms

I could see it being a real safety issue. If you couldn't see what color a person was how could you determine who was trustworthy. :dunno:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Okay buddy. It’s just an interesting thought experiment—no need to get up in arms

Buddy? Who talks like that? Champ. Junior.  And who is up in arms? I just gave my input to the "thought" experiment. You don't like what I had to say, sport?

I was trying out someone else's weld lens the other day and I told him I didn't like it because the puddle was green. I prefer to see blue. 6 people tried it out and said the lens was giving off a blue color and I was nuts. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my color perception because I have been off between blue and black, gray and blue before. But I did a few tests and I got everything right on those. So I guess I'm good.

I just can't imagine giving up things that would result in a lesser quality of life. I eat well, can afford to have fun, have my hobbies, and take care of my kids. As nice as it would be to be a millionaire, giving up senses just is not worth it. 

Anyone read The Giver and/or follow-on books in the series?  Great young adult books set in a dystopian future.  The ending is haid splode.  I ask because the people see in black and white, so this reminded me of it.  Here it is in Wiki although it has more spoilers than I'd like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver

30 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Anyone read The Giver and/or follow-on books in the series?  Great young adult books set in a dystopian future.  The ending is haid splode.  I ask because the people see in black and white, so this reminded me of it.  Here it is in Wiki although it has more spoilers than I'd like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver

Never read the book but I saw the movie. It was pretty good.