Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Let's talk sunglasses

Now that Eagles isn't around B)

I've never had a polarized pair before. Is it worth it? I tried some on today and it definitely seems like it would be, however longer term experience is the better measure. How about rose colored lenses? 

7 minutes ago, frank said:

Go out and get yourself some thick black frames. 

And a pearl necklace

• Thanks 1

I like em because you can oggle the ladies for a really long time and they’re never quite sure :wub:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, naomi said:

I get the pearl necklace reference, not sure about the big black frames. 

Winds up just bringing this to mind: https://images.app.goo.gl/BuPbAzymFM9No4bg7

She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molasses :wub:

But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses :headbanger:

30 minutes ago, naomi said:

Now that Eagles isn't around B)

I've never had a polarized pair before. Is it worth it? I tried some on today and it definitely seems like it would be, however longer term experience is the better measure. How about rose colored lenses? 

John Conlee has something to say about Rose Colored Glasses. 

Buy one, get one free.

They have some nice looking ones, imo.   If you lose them or they break, you get another pair for for $9.

https://shadyrays.com/

• Like 1

They last a long time and are durable. I stopped buying fake glasses when I was 15 cause they always broke easily, lens get scratched, or paint chips off. 

I won't wear anything other than polarized. Glare reduction is great.  Try on some in all price ranges. You'll know which one works for your eyes real quick when you put on the right pair. 

• Like 1

Polarized is non negotiable. Absolute must.

I will warn you that some phone screens cannot be seen with polarized lenses (usually cheap knock off screen replacements I've noticed) and if your car has a heads up display, they may block that as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

They last a long time and are durable. I stopped buying fake glasses when I was 15 cause they always broke easily, lens get scratched, or paint chips off. 

Ive had a pair of ray bans for about five years now. Expensive as fock, as I had to put polarized prescription lenses in them. But they rock. Glad I haven't managed to lose them yet. 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

I like em because you can oggle the ladies for a really long time and they’re never quite sure :wub:

Meat gazers

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Ive had a pair of ray bans for about five years now. Expensive as fock, as I had to put polarized prescription lenses in them. But they rock. Glad I haven't managed to lose them yet. 

Yea they may be expensive but they hold up really well. Got a pair that I’ve had for 8 years and another I’ve had for 4. They’ve earned their money 

2 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Buy one, get one free.

They have some nice looking ones, imo.   If you lose them or they break, you get another pair for for $9.

https://shadyrays.com/

Those look pretty dope.

I was about to buy some Goodr (https://goodr.com/) shades because they have a designated model for big heads. Based on their website they look pretty similar to Shady. Nice simple design, 25% the cost of RayBans, Maui Jims, etc. 

Have you owned any from ShadyRays? 

I can't keep a pair of shades longer than a few months so my days of $100+/pair are over.

As for polarized, absolutely.

2 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

[eaglesgreen] Show me your first [/eaglesgreen]

WTF? We can't say t i t s anymorwe? 

6 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

Those look pretty dope.

I was about to buy some Goodr (https://goodr.com/) shades because they have a designated model for big heads. Based on their website they look pretty similar to Shady. Nice simple design, 25% the cost of RayBans, Maui Jims, etc. 

Have you owned any from ShadyRays? 

I can't keep a pair of shades longer than a few months so my days of $100+/pair are over.

As for polarized, absolutely.

No, haven't owned any yet. I also see that Shady Rays has some made for bigger heads.  

The pair my wife wants aren't back in stock until Sept 2 or something.  So, I'm going to order her a pair then, and get a pair for myself. 

Lets face it, they are $22.50 a pair or so (use code SAVE50 to get buy one get one free).   And they replace them for $9 if lost or broke. So, their cost is obviously way cheap...like it is for all sunglasses manufacturers.   I always lose sunglasses too, so won't spend much on them. 

11 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

I won't wear anything other than polarized. Glare reduction is great.  Try on some in all price ranges. You'll know which one works for your eyes real quick when you put on the right pair. 

As a fellow Arizonan I agree 100%.  I've gone through phases where I've bought cheap ones and you can tell the difference.  Plus they tend to scratch easily.  But I'm not going to pay $300 for Maui Jims (I have a pair that were a gift and I love them, but...).  I've kinda landed in the $50-100 range.  Last time I tried these from MVMT, a little more stylish than traditional aviators IMO.  I've had them a month or two, so far so good.

https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/mens-sunglasses/products/aero-black-grey-lens-polarized

I picked these because they seemed quite dark, which they are.  Here in AZ sunglasses need to block the sun, so light tints like rose are a no-go (for a chick of course).

Those shadyrays look nice, $68 for aviators is reasonable, I might try them next time around.  :thumbsup:

I'm split because I customized a pair of Ray-bans with their online feature that are imo really cute. But the lenses can't be polarized. So if I'm going to spend that much money on sunglasses, I should probably go the practical route. The cute ones have a brown to rose gradient and apparently golfers really favor rose lenses for the color contrast. Guess it helps when you're looking at a ton of green for a long period of time. I was thinking if there's an argument to be made, that, short of polarization, rose hue does some good things for vision, I can justify the cute option.

The coating on the temples of my brother's Shady-rays started wearing off fairly quickly. He has young kids who can be hard on his sunglasses though, so cheap might still be the way to go.

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I always get the brown lenses. Don't like the black ones. 

Semi-Racist. 

Purple lenses?  

21 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Polarized is non negotiable. Absolute must.

Troof 

I have Ray-Ban polarized with a black-blue gradient and a smaller size dark graphite color frame,  I like them a lot.  My iphone screen looks green when I look at it but I can see my Jeep nav/radio screen just fine.  I just take them off if I look at my phone, no big deal.  I think I paid like $120 on ebay.  There are some big sellers of real high quality sun glasses on ebay with good prices.  I've only had this one pair and they're still perfect condition after a few years.

11 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I have Ray-Ban polarized with a black-blue gradient and a smaller size dark graphite color frame,  I like them a lot.  My iphone screen looks green when I look at it but I can see my Jeep nav/radio screen just fine.  I just take them off if I look at my phone, no big deal.  I think I paid like $120 on ebay.  There are some big sellers of real high quality sun glasses on ebay with good prices.  I've only had this one pair and they're still perfect condition after a few years.

I tried to buy Maui Jim's on Ebay before I got the MVMTs.  If you search on the site for "Maui Jim Maverick sunglasses," you get ranges from $100 to $260.  They retail for $299 so I felt good about the low to mid 200s being authentic.  But 100-150?  I decided to give it a shot.  They arrived and were authentic looking I guess but... they were the wrong color lens.  After days attempting to contact the seller he basically said tersely "don't return them, just keep them."  Did this mean I would get a second pair?  Yahtzee!  Alas no, it appears he meant he wasn't going to exchange them.  I forgot what I did but he sensed his rep on Ebay was in jeopardy and he changed his tune about repairs.

After that I said fock it. :dunno:

I have Ray-Ban, Serengeti, Randolph among others  I think quality-wise Randolph and Serengeti are way better than Ray-Ban, which are often made in China now.  

One place I have had good luck buying from is Eyedictive.  You can pay through your Amazon account and their prices are really fair. 

Very large sellers sometimes make mistakes with not sending the correct item, it happens with any online ordering once in a while.  I'm sure mine are real.  They came in a Ray-Ban box with a warranty pamphlet and nice Ray-Ban sunglasses case.  It was just a pair that had an advertised sale at the time I was looking for a pair.  The ebay seller sold multiples of the exact same items, some of their sunglasses were on sale and others were retail prices.

12 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

You have to go polarized, pretty much the only reason to even wear sun glasses.

:thumbsup:

Real talk I needed.

56 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I have Ray-Ban, Serengeti, Randolph among others  I think quality-wise Randolph and Serengeti are way better than Ray-Ban, which are often made in China now.  

One place I have had good luck buying from is Eyedictive.  You can pay through your Amazon account and their prices are really fair. 

Good to know. I checked out those sites and they don't offer much in the way of wayfarer-esque shapes, which are what works best for me. But it motivated me to consider other brands. I found a $58 pair of polarized sunglasses at Nordstroms from a Japanese brand. Unknown quality but I have a hunch they'll be decent.

Anyone remember what kind of expensive glasses MDC stole that time? 

On 8/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, IGotWorms said:

Especially if you have great peripheral vision.  :thumbsup:

IRT I have a big melonish head so I bought a larger framed pair of polarized Costa Del Mars Fisch 580G (G = glass     P = plastic). 

https://www.jandh.com/products/costa-del-mar-fisch-580g-polarized-sunglasses.html

Best pair I've ever owned. Going on 4-5 years now with them (I take good care of them) and I would recommend getting the Glass ones as the Plastic polarized ones seemed to give me headaches. 

Do any of you guys ever have issues when wearing a baseball hat with sunglasses?  It could just be the fairly cheap ones I currently have but they just don't fit as well when wearing a hat. Don't know if I just need a different style with thinner/shorter temple pieces.