Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Trump really sucks when

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You have the left and right Bower and you lose the hand because your partner couldn't get one damn trick

Euchre, or another card game with Bowers?  I married into a Michigan family, Euchre is the official state game I think.  If you can't win the hand with both bowers, oof.  :)

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Euchre, or another card game with Bowers?  I married into a Michigan family, Euchre is the official state game I think.  If you can't win the hand with both bowers, oof.  :)

Euchre. It's such a fun game. Bourre is another really fun game from Lousiana that involves taking tricks. The stakes for failing to take a trick are usually much higher

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Played tons of Euchre with my grandparents when I was young. :thumbsup:

Euchre is a great game.  There seems to be two ways to keep score, though.  We're from Upstate NY and everyone that we knew were taught to keep score using a 2 and a 3.  Crossing the cards adds 5.  We had neighbors from Midwest who kept score using a 4 and a 6 where they just expose the pips until all 10 are shown. Always drove us nuts. 

How do you keep score? 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You have the left and right Bower and you lose the hand because your partner couldn't get one damn trick

Love it, I miss playing Euchre! :doublethumbsup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DonS said:

Euchre is a great game.  There seems to be two ways to keep score, though.  We're from Upstate NY and everyone that we knew were taught to keep score using a 2 and a 3.  Crossing the cards adds 5.  We had neighbors from Midwest who kept score using a 4 and a 6 where they just expose the pips until all 10 are shown. Always drove us nuts. 

How do you keep score? 

With a normal deck the Michiganders I know use two 5s.  On our trip in July somebody brought a "Euchre" deck which used a 4 and a 6.  :dunno:

6 minutes ago, sderk said:

I prefer horse shoes or bocce ball.

I have actually never played horse shoes, which is odd. No one plays it any more. When I was a kid I was around it a lot, just never got to really play myself. I did chuck a few, but it wasn't actually playing the game

15 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I have actually never played horse shoes, which is odd. No one plays it any more. When I was a kid I was around it a lot, just never got to really play myself. I did chuck a few, but it wasn't actually playing the game

My dad put in horseshoe pits in our backyard when I was a kid. I remember him and his friends being really good at playing. I started getting good over time but you have to have the setup which I don't think I have ever since seen someone have.

30 minutes ago, sderk said:

I prefer horse shoes or bocce ball.

Bocce ball is a great game for drinking a few beers :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, DonS said:

How do you keep score? 

Euchre is also popular here in Indiana. We use a 6 & 4. I've played euchre forever, and I've never seen anyone keep score with a 2 and 3. Never heard of it either until your post. :dunno: 👍

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

No one plays spades? Racists. 

Played that while I was in the military. It was a popular game amongst other service members. 👍

5 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Played that while I was in the military. It was a popular game amongst other service members. 👍

That's where I learned it. Digby doesn't know how to play. Very few  blacks in the chair force.  

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That's where I learned it. Digby doesn't know how to play. Very few  blacks in the chair force.  

Same here. Never played it until I enlisted.

5 hours ago, sderk said:

My dad put in horseshoe pits in our backyard when I was a kid. I remember him and his friends being really good at playing. I started getting good over time but you have to have the setup which I don't think I have ever since seen someone have.

I love pitching shoes.  The faniliar "clank" as I approach a get together is heart warming.  Too bad that cornhole business has kinda taken over.  

51 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No one plays spades? Racists. 

I learned from the brothers in the firehouse. I was the token whitey on several spades tourney teams.  

16 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I love pitching shoes.  The faniliar "clank" as I approach a get together is heart warming.  Too bad that cornhole business has kinda taken over.  

I wonder if that game will be totally forgotten and then in 20 years from now some dude will open a beer place with horseshoe pits. Hell, someone should do that now. Thing is though, there is no replacing a nice backyard setup.

5 hours ago, Fireballer said:

It's understandable though. The game is portable