Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Let's talk sockeye salmon

So no cares about the wild salmon that will be destroyed by gold mining in Bristol Bay Alaska? You know, we can't eat gold. 

I'd like to know what conservatives think about a copper/gold mine being built near a sockeye habitat that feeds 80% - 90% of the world wild salmon. Trump managed to overturn Obama's restrictions on mining in the area. 

Even conservatives like former NJ governor Whitman are against it. 

It not only threatens the fish but the way of life of the Native Americans who live there. 

Your thoughts? 

I haven't heard of this problem not spent any time researching it but off of assuming what was posted above is true: If the mining can't be done in a way that's safe to the fish, then no. Don't do it. Keep the gold there and think harder on how to extract it safely.

I wanted to post an article but sadly, only liberal media is covering the story and I didn't want anyone to label it fake news. Fox News doesn't currently care about this issue.

Admittedly, I dont know much about the Bristol Bay thing, but some of these environmental issues makes me lean toward you pinko commies.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

How will mining kill the Salmon?

Especially a big beautiful mine.  The salmon are prolly gonna love it.

Also, I support a Presidents right to choose.  :wave:

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Especially a big beautiful mine.  The salmon are prolly gonna love it.

Also, I support a Presidents right to choose.  :wave:

:dunno:

There are about 1000 other mines up there and for 150 years.  Why will this one kill Salmon?  Got anything factual?

What a disgrace. Greed rules over all. Putting up a mine is way too risky because accidents will happen. It doesn't matter how careful a company wants to be, it only takes one slip up by by anyone to royally screw up the water there. 

29 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

There are about 1000 other mines up there and for 150 years.  Why will this one kill Salmon?  Got anything factual?

There are plenty of studies and proceedings published on the topic it isn't hard to look into it

37 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I don't know anything for sure, but I suspect that most of those 1,000 mines were small, and no where near the size and impact of the mine that is planned. I will see what I can find out. :dunno:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_Mine

peenie is right. Finding an information source that will be accepted is not possible.

The (completely unacceptable) wiki page I linked mentions that Bristol Bay is the worlds largest salmon run. It= has information on the percentage of mines like Pebble Bay, that contaminate the watershed. 

Wiki also say that the mining company owns the mineral rights to many square miles in that region.

• Like 1

The whole argument against is IF something goes wrong THEN POSSIBLY it could have an effect.  The original argument in the thread was salmon would definitely be impacted. :dunno:

10 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The whole argument against is IF something goes wrong THEN POSSIBLY it could have an effect.  The original argument in the thread was salmon would definitely be impacted. :dunno:

Did you read the wiki page? The "IF" possibility gets quantified. :dunno:

Gold > salmon

Someone offers you an ounce of gold or a salmon filet. You can only take one of the two. Which one are you taking? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

There are many non conservative sportsman groups all over it 

Sounds queer 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sderk said:

Gold > salmon

Someone offers you an ounce of gold or a salmon filet. You can only take one of the two. Which one are you taking? 

Im assuming you made this terrible analogy in hopes that the black girl would fall for it, but not the intellectually superior white males. 

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Im assuming you made this terrible analogy in hopes that the black girl would fall for it, but not the intellectually superior white males. 

So you are a black girl? I did not know that.

Just now, BiPolarBear said:

Did you read the wiki page? The "IF" possibility gets quantified. :dunno:

I read it, did you read the 1st post?  It seems the anti side is debating from the basis of inevitable destruction. Sounds like spin straight from Hill and Knowlton.

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I read it, did you read the 1st post?  It seems the anti side is debating from the basis of inevitable destruction. Sounds like spin straight from Hill and Knowlton.

93% chance of contaminating the water, for mines of that type in similar contact with a flood plain, according to a sited study. Maybe they are wrong, I don't know. With the little I have found out in a short amount of time, I would probably side with the Indians and the eco-friendly types. It is not a lock, though. I try to listen and learn. 

Copper river sockeye is the best 😋

It’ll all be gone soon though, as we are far too stupid and greedy to deserve such things 

• Thanks 2

Yeah they shoot em over dams now rather than using fish ladders. Supposedly it’s somehow safer. End of the day though we’re raping and pillaging the earth, the ocean and the air and all the rest of this crap is just some sh1tty temporary band aid that doesn’t even stay on

So Peenie, against my better judgment I'm posting in one of your threads that will inevitably suffer the same fate as Jeffrey Epstein.  I was unaware of this particular issue but did some research.  A couple of points:

1)  It appears the Obama administration used a rarely used provision of the Clean Water Act to preemptively veto the project.  A permit hasn't even been filed yet.

2)  The governor of Alaska is a huge supporter of this project and has been lobbying the EPA and Trump to remove the veto.  The EPA announced they were removing the veto the day after the governor met with Trump privately on Air Force One.

So at this point the only thing that has happened is the veto has been removed.  The company still has to apply for a permit and go through the environmental review that goes along with that permit.  I would suggest withholding outrage until that permit has been approved.

It seems to me that if the people of Alaska care about this they need to take it up with their governor, Mike Dunleavy.  Absent him nothing would have changed.  In reading up on this guy a little bit he seems like a total douche.  He's cut like 50% of the funding for the University of Alaska.  He also cut a bunch of money from the Alaska Supreme Court budget simply because they've upheld the constitutionality of abortion.  There is an effort to recall him underway and he's only been in office since last December.  This is why it's important for the parties to put up good candidates and for the electorate to elect the right ones.  Letting idiots like this guy and Trump in can have damaging repercussions. 

I am unsure, I have read about this quite extensively years ago and was unable to decide, but slightly leaning against this mine being built.

I have a strong mining background compared to many geeks having worked early in my career at both coal mines and clay mines. In addition my dad and brother are still working at mines. We are also, obviously, all into fishing/outdoors.

I would love to type up a longer response as subjects like this are what I care about, but with the trolls and the fact that this thread will probably be deleted anyways why bother.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, TimmySmith said:

The biggest risk comes from the very large embankment dam being built in an area of the country that is prone to earthquakes. The initial plan had them building the worlds largest dam, I am unsure if that is still the case.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am unsure, I have read about this quite extensively years ago and was unable to decide, but slightly leaning against this mine being built.

I have a strong mining background compared to many geeks having worked early in my career at both coal mines and clay mines. In addition my dad and brother are still working at mines. We are also, obviously, all into fishing/outdoors.

I would love to type up a longer response as subjects like this are what I care about, but with the trolls and the fact that this thread will probably be deleted anyways why bother.

I care to hear what you can share.

48 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I care to hear what you can share.

Exactly! I created this thread so therefore I am the most interested and I read every single post. It is here for everyone to share their thoughts. Just because you (MTSkiBum or whoever) may not be able to read it next year doesn't mean it's not significant right now. When you have conversations in real life you don't record them. They happen and it's over. You can reflect on them but you can't pull out your video tape and say "See what I said years ago?" Stop getting hung up on thread deleting.

I donate to the Montana Wilderness Association and they were the ones to keep me updated about William Perry Pendley. He is in charge of the Bureau of Land Management. Get this, the Bureau of Land Management oversees the use and conservation of 258 million acres of the United States public land. This guy, shockingly, is the Director but is against America having public land! He believes all land should be held privately! He is an advocate of selling off our public land. Trump put him in charge of the Bureau of Land Management. It's absolutely unbelievable to me.

That is how I learned about the darn sockeye salmon. Different state of course, but still the idea is that our natural protected habitats are now being threatened.

There are things I really like about Trump: patriotism, strong military, strong boarders and wanting a strong economy.

However there are things I really don't like: fueling racism and support of corporations over science and nature.

I know a guy who owned a gold mine in Alaska (maybe still does, haven't talked in years).  Smaller operation than this one I'm sure, but many of his laborers were nomads who wandered by in the spring looking for a job until the winter.  Or whenever they decided to stop working; one day a guy just wouldn't show up and that would be that.

For insurance with expensive equipment, he had to give them a drug test.  Apparently practically all of Alaska smokes pot.  My friend would say "look, I need to give you a drug test, if you need a few weeks to pass, come back then and the job is yours."  Their response most of the time was "no problem dood, I can pass now."  Inevitably they would fail the test bigly.

So yeah, RIP poor little salmon.  :(

I love to post videos and yet haven't posted one here because just as jerryskids noted, these people who gather up the salmon aren't the most sympathetic people. They come off as sort of eccentric compared to the miners.

If this helps ensure that Miley Cyrus doesn't breed then it seems like a fair trade. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, DonS said:

If this helps ensure that Miley Cyrus doesn't breed then it seems like a fair trade. 

🤷🏿‍♀️

Kinda confused...what does that mean?